Adding a new cat to the house

Old November 18th 03, 02:31 AM
banch35

Default Adding a new cat to the house

I have recently brought a new female cat into my household. She is 4 years old and very very sweet.The problem arises with the fact that I have a 10 year old male who has reigned over this household. Both cats are fixed but the female is not declawed. She was an indoor before and she will remain so in my house.

Oscar - my 10 year old male - is not making life easy on the new cat. I am attempting to bring them together gradually - leaving the door cracked in the room where she is currently residing, sharing scents between the two, etc etc. When he sees her, he does the normal ranting and raving. She scatters when she sees him - hiding under the bed.

I've been keeping any eye on both of them when I am home and keep her sequestered in one of my bedrooms when I am away. She stays in the bedroom most of the time unless I put Oscar in another bedroom so she can get used to the house.

He seems particularly aggressive towards her and has made several attempts to chase her.
What more can I do to assist in warming this relationship? Its been about a week since she has been in the house.

thanks

Old November 18th 03, 07:32 AM
Luvskats00

If it helps any I'm going through a similar situation. I adopted a 5 year old
(spayed/declawed) female dsh about 3 weeks ago..my resident 4 year old
(neutered/declawed) boy is having a fine time standing guard, waiting to
pounce. I've received so many posts/emails on what I should do. Half say one
thing..half say the exact opposite. I hope you get advice on your posts, but I
invite you to read the entire "what can I do to help this cat" thread. It might
help you. For the record..the situation is better than it was when she first
came to the house...We have a ways to go, however, Right now, she's been
"inside" my platform bed for over 10 hours and has not yet come out for
dinner/litterbox. So....we have not yet crossed the finish line w/where we
need to progress!

Old November 18th 03, 11:04 PM
banch35

Thanks for the input! I see that someone else has the same problem! (Danathar) I am enjoying the feedback in both.

thanks!
Old November 18th 03, 11:04 PM
banch35

Old November 18th 03, 11:04 PM
banch35

Old November 19th 03, 04:53 AM
Tracy

Don't despair! I recently introduced two two-year old female cats -
(my 1st experience with multiple cats). Major disaster for five weeks!
At not quite 3 months, everything is just fine. They'll work it out in
cat time. You just have to hang in. You can and should interfere if
they seem to be in danger of hurting each other (with a hand clap or a
sprinkler bottle). but otherwise it is probably just best to face up
to the fact that they have to work out the rules of co-existence on
their own terms ... and they probably will. Good luck not going nuts
in the interim.