Purrs worked! He's home!

Old July 11th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
badwilson

Default Purrs worked! He's home!

Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.
Dennis and I went in this morning on my way to work. I had to go to
work after 10 min, but Dennis stayed on for about an hour.
This afternoon, Dennis went back in to see how the results of the
bloodwork had turned out. Good news there, his kidneys didn't sustain
any permanent damage, so we are very relieved about that. He had very
high levels of some sort of stress hormone and the vet thought that this
is probably due to being at the vet in the first place. So it was
decided that he would do better at home.
Dennis couldn't get home with Vino because he had walked there (I was at
work with the car) and tried to get a taxi but no taxies would take a
cat. So the receptionist from the vet ended up driving Dennis and Vino
home, which was very nice of her. Unfortunately Vino peed in his
carrier on the way home, but Dennis thinks it all stayed in the carrier
and didn't get on her car.
When I got home from work, Vino was gingerly walking around and he peed
in his litterbox about 6 times. The vet said that he was going to have
the urge to pee a lot due to having the catheter in for so long. Then
Vino had a little poop. We celebrated :-)
Now he is sacked out on the couch next to Dennis. He is taking up 75%
of our large 3 seater sofa and Dennis is squished into the corner. I am
relegated to the loveseat by myself. Ahhh, whatever makes the cat
happy!
He still hasn't eaten and has puked up a little bile. We are to just
feed him regular Iams until he starts to eat properly again, then switch
to the s/d or c/d or whatever. I hope he starts to eat soon. He is
also on antibiotics and this urine acidifier. The vet said that it
could be that the acid urine med might be making him feel sick too, so
we'll have to see how that goes. But hopefully just being home and
relaxing will make him want to eat again and keep it down.
The vet was really great and helpful and she kept the bill down to just
over $500, so we are very grateful for that. I feel that even though he
doesn't show it, Vino gets quite stressed about going anywhere in his
carrier. Probably due to the big move. So I hope I won't have to take
him anywhere for a long, long time.
I just want to thank everyone for your purrs and supportive messages.
It really made me feel better and I'm sure it helped Vino pull through.
Y'all are the greatest :-)
--
Britta
Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness

Old July 11th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

badwilson wrote:
Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.

snip

I'm so glad Vino is home, he'll be much happier now. Continued purrs for a
full and quick recovery.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old July 11th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

I am so relieved that he's home where he belongs. He'll be so much happier
at home being doted upon - I hope he gets his appetite back soon.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old July 11th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

badwilson wrote:
Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now he is sacked out on the couch next to Dennis. He is taking up 75%
of our large 3 seater sofa and Dennis is squished into the corner. I am
relegated to the loveseat by myself. Ahhh, whatever makes the cat happy!

That's a great mental image.

I just want to thank everyone for your purrs and supportive messages. It
really made me feel better and I'm sure it helped Vino pull through.
Y'all are the greatest :-)

I'm just so very happy Vino is back home with his mom and dad. Purrs for
a complete and fast recovery!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 11th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

badwilson wrote:
Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.

Great news! We'll keep the purr motors going

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old July 11th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

badwilson wrote:
Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.
Dennis and I went in this morning on my way to work. I had to go to
work after 10 min, but Dennis stayed on for about an hour.
This afternoon, Dennis went back in to see how the results of the
bloodwork had turned out. Good news there, his kidneys didn't sustain
any permanent damage, so we are very relieved about that. He had very
high levels of some sort of stress hormone and the vet thought that this
is probably due to being at the vet in the first place.

Next time Rusy has a blood test, I should ask the tests to include
stress hormone.
I didn't know you can test for that.

So it was
decided that he would do better at home.
Dennis couldn't get home with Vino because he had walked there (I was at
work with the car) and tried to get a taxi but no taxies would take a
cat. So the receptionist from the vet ended up driving Dennis and Vino
home, which was very nice of her. Unfortunately Vino peed in his
carrier on the way home, but Dennis thinks it all stayed in the carrier
and didn't get on her car.

I was surprised no taxies would take a cat in a carrier. I did that all
the time to and from the
vet's since I don't have a car. Not all taxi drivers will do it, but
the dispatcher has
always been able to find a taxi driver that would take us. One driver
said he rather take
a cat in a carrier than a dog. That was indeed very nice of the
receptionist. Rusty has
a tendency to pee in the carrier too, so I usually put the carrier
inside a big garbage bag.
But the Sherpa type carriers come with absorpent pads.

[...]

Usually it is S/D for a month, followed by C/D for life. My vet said a
cat should
not be fed S/D longer than a month because it is very acidifying. Long
term use can be harmful. So talk to your vet about S/D while Vino is on
acidifier. Maybe he can get off the acidifier and just eat S/D. There
are 2 types of CD, only one of which is for struvites.

But hopefully just being home and
relaxing will make him want to eat again and keep it down.
The vet was really great and helpful and she kept the bill down to just
over $500, so we are very grateful for that.

That is indeed very good. I paid around $500 CDN for a weekend stay at
the emergency vet for blockage back in 1998.

I feel that even though he
doesn't show it, Vino gets quite stressed about going anywhere in his
carrier. Probably due to the big move. So I hope I won't have to take
him anywhere for a long, long time.
I just want to thank everyone for your purrs and supportive messages.
It really made me feel better and I'm sure it helped Vino pull through.
Y'all are the greatest :-)

I am so glad Vino is home now. Rusty will continue to purr for his
complete recovery.
Watch him carefully for any sign of replase. Rusty had his second
blockage after over a
year from his first blockage. He was on C/D dry and still blocked
again. That was when
he was switched to canned food only. He had several episodes of
crystals in the urine,
but no blockages, I think.

Winnie.

Old July 11th 06, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Micha

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:12:16 +0800 badwilson wrote:

Well, the purrs must have worked because Vino came home this evening.

[...]
I just want to thank everyone for your purrs and supportive messages.
It really made me feel better and I'm sure it helped Vino pull through.
Y'all are the greatest :-)

Best wishes that Vino will be fully recovered soon and can purr away
your worries.

Squarely Yours
Michael

--
Square Dance is friendship put to music
Andrea and Michael with tomcat-cats Blacky and Merlin
Old July 11th 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

badwilson wrote:
[...]

So glad your little guy is back home. What an ordeal for him! Hope he
continues to improve.

Sherry

Old July 11th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

I"m glad he is home. I hope he starts eating. Ask the vet about Pepcid if he
is still urpy. Also, you might look into a couple of feliway dispensers. I
really think it helped Grant and you know, thinking back, it's about the
time I stopped using feliway that Sugar started getting sick, so I have gone
back to using them. I think they really help with stress hormones.

Keep us posted!

Old July 11th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Irulan

aw, I am so happy I am tearful to hear that sweet Vino is finally home. We
home that the stress of being away was what was causing him to not feel
well. Purrs and prayers that he starts earint soon.

Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come