ugh, this kitty wants to knife me?

Old November 26th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default ugh, this kitty wants to knife me?

my girlfriend's cat cannot stand me. he pees on my pillow whenever i
visit and jumps on me at 5 a.m. while i'm sleeping. believe me, i'm
trying everything to be this cat's best friend: i buy him toys and try
to play with him, feed him, pet him etc.

if anyone has ever had to deal with this kind of love triangle, can
you tell me what you did to improve things?

thanks in advance.
Old November 26th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

the cat is neutered. i can't close the bedroom door because he sleeps
in the room. not sure that would go over well with the cat or my
girlfriend.

On Nov 26, 4:53 pm, "Matthew" wrote:
wrote in message

my girlfriend's cat cannot stand me. he pees on my pillow whenever i
visit and jumps on me at 5 a.m. while i'm sleeping. believe me, i'm
trying everything to be this cat's best friend: i buy him toys and try
to play with him, feed him, pet him etc.

if anyone has ever had to deal with this kind of love triangle, can
you tell me what you did to improve things?

thanks in advance.

Is the cat neutered?

Can you close the bedroom door

Old November 26th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

the cat is neutered. i can't close the bedroom door because he sleeps
in the room. not sure that would go over well with the cat or my
girlfriend.

What is her opinion of what is happening? Has she offered any suggestions
for how to win the cat over? Does she seem sympathetic to you, or does
she think it's your fault her cat doesn't like you? Maybe he's being
territorial/jealous about your girlfriend?

Does he also jump on her in the middle of the night? That is, is this
just something he does, rather than something he does to *you*? Some cats
can be a nuisance in the middle of the night - they want attention, food,
to go outside, or whatever, and will think nothing of pawing, nosing,
jumping on, or otherwise bothering the sleeping humans. (One of my cats
stands right next to my head and yowls when she gets the idea that she
must go out in the middle of the night. This pretty much always gets her
removed from the bedroom with the door closed. So she doesn't do it very
often any more.)

I would suggest you talk to your gf about this if you haven't already.
Ask her how she feels about keeping him out of the bedroom at night. She
might surprise you. And if she doesn't want to do that, you're no worse
off than you are now. But I think you're entitled to expect *some* kind
of support from her, at least in terms of putting your heads together to
figure out what can be done.

How long has he been acting like this? Since you first started dating?
How long has that been? Just wondering if this is part of a phase where
he is just getting used to you, or if it's been going on a long time.

Joyce
Old November 27th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel

Default ugh, this kitty wants to knife me? (LONG REPLY)

wrote in message

my girlfriend's cat cannot stand me. he pees on my pillow whenever i
visit and jumps on me at 5 a.m. while i'm sleeping. believe me, i'm
trying everything to be this cat's best friend: i buy him toys and try
to play with him, feed him, pet him etc.

if anyone has ever had to deal with this kind of love triangle, can
you tell me what you did to improve things?

thanks in advance.

Hi, first I must commend you for trying to work with this kitty rather than
antagonize him and make things worse!

So, explain in more detail what you do when you interact with this cat and
what his reactions are; it sounds like you're doing a lot of good stuff,
especially in playing with him and giving him positive attention. Do he
seem to enjoy playing (what kind of playing -- a string, feather wand, laser
pointer ...?) One thing I'd suggest is that kitties are definitely
creatures of habit and if you establish a play/feeding/treat routine with
him on a daily basis I can't help but think you'll make progress with him.

The waking up at 5 a.m. part I don't know if this is something directed
just at you as my 4 cats all conspire to wake me up at 5 a.m., too. What do
you do when he does this? In my household they know they're about to get fed
soon and that precipitates a lot of this (also how do you tell a cat that
daylight savings time has ended?).

A question about the pillow that gets peed on -- do you get brand new
pillows every time or do you try to wash out the old one? You can try
washing them with an enzymatic pet odor cleaner like Nature's Miracle or
Petzyme for Cats (both you can get from Petsmart) but in the end you may
want to check out putting a new pillow out and maybe covering it and the
area of the bed you're sleeping on with aluminum foil - some cats don't like
the sound or feel of foil... When I took a new cat into my household years
ago, one of mine protested by peeing on my pillow nightly, too -- I had a
pillow graveyard on my patio by the time I got things sorted out; I used the
foil and kind of burned out on Nature's Miracle at the time, too. But
things got better over time and later on the 2 cats became friends, more or
less. Could there be some cat pee residual that ended up on the mattress
(hopefully not, but if so, it might explain the re-marking of the area) --
another thing I did at the time was buy a waterproof crib sheet that I put
over the mattress for awhile.

Do you have any pets of your own whose scent might be on you/your clothes?

I can also give you the email address of a cat rescue acquaintance of mine
who has a lot of experience with cat behavior issues; I'll email you this
separately.

hope this might help,
don't give up...
regards,
Christine

Old November 27th 07, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ted Davis[_2_]

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 18:14:51 -0700, Christine Burel wrote:

A question about the pillow that gets peed on -- do you get brand new
pillows every time or do you try to wash out the old one?

I just wash the water-proof pillow protector. They and waterproof
mattress pads are available in breathable treated fabric and plastic sheet
types. Personally, I don't like the plastic film type, but they are much
cheaper.

I couldn't live with cats without both.

--

T.E.D. ) UMR becomes MST soon.

Old November 27th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

wrote in message

my girlfriend's cat cannot stand me. he pees on my pillow whenever i
visit and jumps on me at 5 a.m. while i'm sleeping. believe me, i'm
trying everything to be this cat's best friend: i buy him toys and try
to play with him, feed him, pet him etc.

if anyone has ever had to deal with this kind of love triangle, can
you tell me what you did to improve things?

thanks in advance.

We never had a problem as I've only once met a dog or cat that didn't adore
Charlie. (Where cats are concerned there will always be at least one
exception to everything)

For starters you need to look at your attitude. Ugh and knife are agressive
words.

Then I'd recommend you stop trying. It may make points with your girlfriend
but it won't make any points with most cats. Let him come to you. And
don't worry about being his best friend. It will be his choice.

The 5am thing BTW is just normal cat behavior. You may learn to sleep
though it. Or not.

Jo

Old November 27th 07, 06:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

thanks very much, folks, for all the great help.

let me try to begin to answer some questions. i play with him with a
laser pointer and a feather toy that he digs but i don't remember the
name of it. yeah, i like cats, though maybe he senses i've only owned
dogs. still, even if he judges me to be a shady character, he seems to
put it aside when i have the laser pointer or some other toys.

i haven't asked my girlfriend how she'd feel about shutting the cat
out, but i'm not sure i want to at this point since it sounds like it
might only make matters worse between us (me and the kitty). i'd kind
of like to coexist peacefully. but she seems to think things will
improve, particularly if i were a more regular member of the
household. but we seem to take a step back before taking any step
forward. as far as cleaning the pillow, we just through it in the
wash. it didn't seem like he missed the pillow (gosh, i hope he
didn't). but he's peed only on my pillow and he's jumped only on me.

the thing is, i could swear it's almost a man-of-the-household thing,
even though that might sound goofy. he's a beautiful black cat and he
likes to hunt. he brings back field mice and leaves on in the dogs bag
of dog food while leaving another in my girlfriend's backpack. it's
almost like he's the provider and he's packing lunches for them. so i
can't help but feel like we have a little love triangle going on here
even though i'm happy to cede the head-of-household title to him or
anyone else there who's a permanent resident. am i reading too much
into this?

thanks very much, everyone, for your help and suggestions. appreciate
it.