What Would You Do?

Old August 9th 03, 03:20 AM

Default What Would You Do?

As some of you know I own the website http://www.stopdeclaw.com
I often get emails and they are usually positive, generally filled with
good news about cats having their declaw appointments canceled :-), and
occasionally I get some filled with ignorant statements that I pretty
much ignore.

Today I received a message that made me cry. It was from a woman who
arrived home only to find that both of her 2 year old cats were missing.
It turns out that her husband went behind her back, despite knowing her
negative feelings on the subject, and had the cats declawed. Apparently
he was worried they might damage the new leather couch she just bought.

She is devastated, and hasn't been able to bring herself to approach her
children about what has happened, much less talk to her husband. I can
only imagine the heartbreak and betrayal she must be feeling right now.
I wrote her back and gave her support as best I could and told her what
I would do if this were to happen to me. I will not reveal that here as
I don't want to color people's responses.

Which brings me to my question for the group- what would you do if faced
with this situation?

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 9th 03, 05:00 AM
Jason James

wrote in message
[...]

A difficult situation.

One thing which outrages me are those few unscrupulous greyhound trainers
who throw declawed cats in amongst the hounds when caged.

People who do this can do jail time in some states. These people are not
animal lovers, not even their dogs I'm sure.

The lady needs to put across to her husband in the most forthright terms
that she is appalled and extremely upset. It is difficult to imagine this
situation happening!

Jason

Old August 9th 03, 05:39 AM
Agua Girl

I think I would try and find a support group for her. If I were in
her shoes...the guy would be on his way out the door, seriously.
Not because of the declawing but because he put the couch
over HER own strong feelings. Who wants to be around someone
so selfish and callous about her. If he reacted this way in this situation,
you can only imagine what she puts up with on a daily basis. Of course
you can't tell her that. Only a good friend, family member or counselor
can so with that in mind I would offer my support, let her know it's not
her fault and she shouldn't feel guilty but she absolutely should talk to
someone about what she does feel.

AG

Old August 9th 03, 08:08 AM
aemiaw

I think some people are too ignorant to be around people or animals. How
could he do this to the poor animals, especially when he knew how his wife
felt? I am afraid I would have to have the guy euthanized. On the serious
side, I don't think that I could stay with someone like that. He would be
out the door.

Sheryl

Old August 9th 03, 04:55 PM
Mr B

I'd go get the husbands car and slash all the tires. Then say how do you like it if someone cuts
off part of what you use to get around?