Owning cats is good for your heart!

Old February 22nd 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez[_2_]

Default Owning cats is good for your heart!

Well, we knew that already, but it seems researchers did the math:

OrlandoSentinel.com
Study finds health benefits to owning cats

By Maura Lerner

Star Tribune (Minneapolis)

4:20 PM EST, February 21, 2008

MINNEAPOLIS

Here, kitty kitty...

A new study suggests cat owners are less likely to die of a heart
attack or stroke than people who, well, don't own cats.

And no, dogs don't do the same trick.

The study, by researchers at the University of Minnesota, found that
feline-less people were 30 to 40 percent more likely to die of
cardiovascular disease than those with cats.

Yet dog owners had the same rate as non-owners. "No protective effect
of dogs as domestic pets was observed," said the study, which was
presented Thursday at the International Stroke Conference in New
Orleans.

Dr. Adnan Qureshi, a stroke expert at the university, said he decided
to raise the question because other studies have suggested pets can
help reduce stress. He and his team analyzed a group of 4,435 people
who had answered questionnaires about pet ownership and other risk
factors.

But the cat-dog differential came as a surprise. "We don't understand
this completely," he said, but "it's probably not a coincidence."

Asked if he owns a cat, Qureshi replied: "No. Maybe I should get one,
though. With this new research, I think the time has come to change."

CATS VS. DOGS

--90 million cats are owned in the United States

--36 percent of U.S. households (or 38.4 million) own at least one cat

--56 percent own more than one cat

--74.8 million dogs are owned in the United States

--39 percent of U.S. households own at least one dog

Source: American Pet Products Manufacturers Assoc.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel
Old February 22nd 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
22brix

Does having more than one increase the benefit?? If so some of us will have
just about zero risk!!

Bonnie

Old February 22nd 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

The only thing that surprises me is that dog owners don't get the same
benefit.

--
Joy

Blessed are the PURR in Heart!

4:20 PM EST, February 21, 2008

[...]

To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old February 22nd 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Seems to me the only mistake they make was not knowing that PEOPLE don't
owen cats, CATS own People.

Old February 26th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David Stevenson

Victor Martinez wrote
CATS VS. DOGS

--36 percent of U.S. households (or 38.4 million) own at least one cat

--56 percent own more than one cat

?????????????????????????????

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.org/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome
Old February 26th 08, 03:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"David Stevenson" wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote
CATS VS. DOGS

--36 percent of U.S. households (or 38.4 million) own at least one cat

--56 percent own more than one cat

56 % of those who owned (or were owned by cats) had more than one cat.

Hang in there Dave, don't hyperventilate on us now.

Pam S. with a big grin.