OT - vacuum cleaner recommendation for 4 cat house

Old March 22nd 04, 08:09 PM
Debra Berry

Default OT - vacuum cleaner recommendation for 4 cat house

Hi everyone,

I have an old vacuum cleaner that is on its last legs.
I also have 4 cats and definitely NEED a good vacuum cleaner.
Since most of the people in this group have similar needs,
I wonder if anyone has a recommendation.

Up to $200 is ok for cost, with a carpet "beater", relatively
quiet and lightweight (I have stairs to drag it up), a handtool
accessory would be nice. Do the hepa-filter vacuums
do a better job on cat hair, dust, and dander? How often does
the filter need to be replaced?

Two that I was looking at at Target this past weekend:

Eureka WhirlWind LiteSpeed Vacuum - bagless, HEPA filter
Dirt Devil Vision Featherlite Bagless Vacuum MO86520 - HEPA type filter

The benefit of your experience is greatly appreciated.

Debbie Berry

Old March 22nd 04, 08:23 PM
Sherry

Hi everyone,

I have an old vacuum cleaner that is on its last legs.
I also have 4 cats and definitely NEED a good vacuum cleaner.
Since most of the people in this group have similar needs,
I wonder if anyone has a recommendation.

Up to $200 is ok for cost, with a carpet "beater", relatively
quiet and lightweight (I have stairs to drag it up), a handtool
accessory would be nice. Do the hepa-filter vacuums
do a better job on cat hair, dust, and dander? How often does
the filter need to be replaced?

Two that I was looking at at Target this past weekend:

Eureka WhirlWind LiteSpeed Vacuum - bagless, HEPA filter
Dirt Devil Vision Featherlite Bagless Vacuum MO86520 - HEPA type filter

The benefit of your experience is greatly appreciated.

Debbie Berry

Hi Debra,
I have a Hoover Windtunnel and I sure do like it. It is four years old now, and
gets *heavy* use (four cats). It uses those "allergen" filters and I do believe
that cuts down tremendously on what ends up floating in the air. It was around
$200 and I got it at Wal Mart. Filters are easy to find and areen't expensive.

Sherry
Old March 22nd 04, 08:41 PM
John Biltz

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:09:00 -0800, Debra Berry wrote
(in article ):

Eureka WhirlWind LiteSpeed Vacuum - bagless, HEPA filter
Dirt Devil Vision Featherlite Bagless Vacuum MO86520 - HEPA type filter

I have a Whirlwind electronic and I like it. I had some problems with it
last summer overheating and the suction had went down. I took it apart
and dumped about half a pound of cat litter out of the hoses and
mechanism and it worked fine after that. It wasn't difficult. I had
never taken one apart before.

Old March 22nd 04, 09:45 PM
Karen

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

Same here. It's a great vacuum and I think it was in your budget range.

Karen

Old March 22nd 04, 10:51 PM
Jo Firey

I like the Hoover Wind Tunnel vacuum I bought back when many on this group
were recommending them. But I'm lucky that my two cats are short haired,
take a lot of their baths outside in the sun, and don't shed much.

Jo

Old March 22nd 04, 11:26 PM
Steve G

Debra Berry wrote in message ...
(...)

Up to $200 is ok for cost, with a carpet "beater", relatively
quiet and lightweight (I have stairs to drag it up), a handtool
accessory would be nice. Do the hepa-filter vacuums
do a better job on cat hair, dust, and dander? How often does
the filter need to be replaced?

(...)

The benefit of your experience is greatly appreciated.

I have a Dyson Animal - though I think this was nearer to $300 than
the $200 you've budgeted. Cannot recall for sure. Anyway, it works
very well indeed on carpets, but not spectacularly on hard floors. The
HEPA filter never needs to be replaced, but should be washed
occasionally. It has a hair remover tool that works quite well, and
which sounds like helicopter. Great! In short, it sucks.

Anyway, the only reason I got the vacuum was because it looks just
like an alien artifact or perhaps the lost Mars probe thing.

Steve.

Old March 23rd 04, 02:20 AM
Sherry

1. The agitator keeps going even when I'm using an attachment.
2. It's really only good for carpet. On tile, it will throw cat
litter clear across the room.
3. It's heavy if you're not used to uprights.

4. The stupid cord. It comes out of the bottom, is supposed to clip just
beneath the handle, but never stays clipped. You end up running over it.

Sherry
Old March 23rd 04, 03:11 AM
Yoj

"Karen" wrote in message

"Sherry " wrote in message
[...]

I got mine at Target. I agree it's good, but I don't use it as often as
I probably should, because it's so noisy it hurts my ears.

Joy