If we ever needed purrs

Old March 23rd 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Lost in time?

-That's what I have been forced to conclude Dave's district nurses
are. If you remember they went out one Thursday saying "see you next
week" then didn't show so I called and was told he only needed to be
seen every second Thursday. They then didn't show for 6 weeks before
out of the blue resuming the service claiming they had called and had
no answer, a frankly bull**t answer since they never called before to
see if he was in and he was anyway. Then after a couple of alternate
Thursdays they turned up on a Wednesday and said they'd see Dave in
two weeks. In fact last Tuesday less than a week after they'd last
been, one of them turned up. It was Rita who is okay and agreed Dave
ought to have advance warning of when they are going to turn up. Also
she said if we knew when they were coming it wouldn't do a lot of harm
if any, if I took the dressing off before I went to work and Dave
could have a bath or a shower before they came round but in order to
do that we need to know when and what day. Rita says if she comes next
time, she'll let us know before but we have no idea if she will or if
she won't be coming next time. We could get Cecilia again!

Rita is also a cat whisperer- as soon as she came in Sarsi decided to
investigate her bag and she just calmly said "Stop that now cat" and
Sarsi paused looked at her and walked away from the bag. Amazing!
Dunzi at least knows when to scarper- Sarsi sits in the wreckage with
an expression that says "Am I bovvered? Do I look bovvered? Face?
Bovvered?"

Wonder if we can employ Rita full time as cat controller?

Dave;s also fallen out a bit with his mum. She's of the school of
"Doctors know best-leave them to it" and Dave isn't. They want to
section Dave's dad for 6 months now and Dave checked this up and even
MIND advise you to keep on the 28 day sections as long as
possible.Dave thinks 6 months means they don't have the same pressure
to regularly assess his dad so of course they've collided head on.
she's had a go because he "gets it all off that internet and that's
nothing but a pack of lies". anyway she's going to see dad today with
Adam so I'll call her later. She still keeps saying they need to get
him to Lourdes, which won't happen until he gets out and no-one knows
when (if ever through I don't want to think that) that will be

The problem at work hasn't changed. Davy G was furious and fired off a
nasty email but all that seems to have done is strenghtened the
resolve of the management and now they agree that I can't stay in the
office long term as once they get a temp in or the new office manager
starts whichever happens first then they'll need to be in that office
but until then...I have had to fight for them to agree that they will
meet with me and discuss it again next Friday but it looks like I
could be camped out in the other office until the end of next month! I
am not happy- especially when I found out the decision had come from
Alice and Bev had relayed back that I wasn't happy but Alice had no
idea of the bad blood between me and Pat so Bev's gone back and it
must have sounded like I was being unreasonable whereas it's perfectly
reasonable not to want to work in a stressful situation as far as I
see it!

So I am keeping my eyes open for the next move

Brought myself a new monitor yesterday- very nice but the text is a
swine to sort out

Nothing much else to report- Dave said he'd have liked to go out today
but I note he checked the weather first!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 24th 08, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

We forgot going out- snow today

Dave has apologised to his mum. Strange incident through I called her
and asked if Adam was there and she said he was and would I like to
talk to him? I said yes and she went off and I heard a door close and
then she came back and said he was tired and wouldn't come to the
phone. This was 8.30 at night! I'm starting to worry that she's losing
her mind as well! That would be all we need! She was happy anyway, she
got her hedges trimmed and her blinds cleaned. Apparently when Adam
called to say they were coming, her first comment was "For only one
night....well if that's all you can manage" in a rather nasty tone (It
was all they could manage, they both have jobs and Rebecca, their
little girl goes to hospital on Tuesday to have her wisdom teeth out
and a brace fitted and as she's only nine, they want her to sleep in
her own bed tonight) and then gave them a list of things she wanted
done around the house and complained when Adam said he might take his
son to see the local football team (East Fife, they're doing rather
well at the moment, which Dave says is something of a change because
when he was a kid, he thought the name of the team was actually "East
Fife Nil")

Anyway they went to see dad and mum was all about how well behaved he
was. Adam will probably email Dave with more details when he gets home

Another uneasy calm settles on this household, Still today is Easter
Monday and what do we have on Easter Monday? We have ham! (Not
consciously we just fancied a ham salad for lunch) so we have fairly
happy cats at the moment (Fairly happy- they'd be happier if there was
more ham!)

Old March 30th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default It not easy being nice- please forgive me for ranting (LONG sorry)

On Mar 24, 9:36 am, Lesley wrote:
Strange incident through I called her
And asked if Adam was there and she said he was and would I like to
Talk to him? I said yes and she went off and I heard a door close and
Then she came back and said he was tired and wouldn't come to the
Phone. This was 8.30 at night! I'm starting to worry that she's losing
Her mind as well!

Let me rant and rave PLEASE PLEASE!

Oh Adrian- the cats are fine you can stop reading now- Dunzi is asleep
by the bedroom window and Sarsi is doing her famous dead cat
impersonation on top of the PC so she's near Daaa-dee

Got an email from Adam apologising for not coming to the phone when
called he and Sonia had had enough of being ordered round. Basically
they had the weekend from Hell with Dave's mum. She used Adam as a car
service and they were greeted with a list of things she wanted done.
Then Sonia who is not a trained horticulturist didn't prune two rose
bushes identically and was reduced to tears by the lecture she got.
Dave's mum has it in for Sonia because she's English apparently (so am
I and she couldn't sing our praises enough to Adam and Sonia
apparently I'm a "lovely person" because I "listen to her"- I have
this odd talent when people need to talk I can let it go over my head-
I think it comes from a Saturday job in a record shop where the
manager was so obsessed with Marie Osmond he would put her album on
non- stop! I have learnt to filter most of it out and go "Yeah...Hmm"
when there's a pause and as Dave's mum does love the sound of her own
voice she thinks I am wonderful). For the ultimate finale, she gave
their 9-year daughter a long lecture because she took a biscuit even
through they were being offered on the grounds she shouldn't because
she's "a bit on the chubby side"". Apparently it was so nasty Adam
stepped in because he doesn't want her to give her a complex because
she's a pound or two above the proper weight for her height and age
and that is nothing to worry about but mum's rant has so upset her
she's talking about not eating- anorexia will probably suit Dave's
mum- I had my first run in with her when Dave was in hospital when she
said it was a good thing he was because they cut his hair and made him
have a shave and she couldn't understand why I said I would rather he
was home and healthy with long hair and beard ....and imagine the
drama of an anorexic grandchild- I've long since concluded as far as
Dave's mum is concerned anything makes it look like she's been hard
done by and such a martyr (as long as it isn't affecting her
personally) is no bad thing. She loves to say what a hard life she's
had and how she bears it with her faith in the Lord-Adam's unsurprised
but furious she tells people he has a strong faith when he's an
atheist but he long ago learnt how she'll bend anything apparently a
few years ago he dared to disagree with a nasty remark she made about
a certain ethnic group so now she tells people the reason he disagrees
with her is he has "Gulf War Syndrome" so it's not his fault he isn't
thinking straight and isn't that another hardship she had to
bear....Adam heard about if from a friend back home and he can speak
about it since he knows people who really do have it and as far as
he's concerned for her to demean the condition by using it as excuse
for the fact he has different opinions from her!

And visiting dad at the hospital.... Everytime Adam tried to talk to a
nurse she dived in to talk about her concerns.... The biggest being
she might lose his state pension, she spent a lot of the weekend going
on about how poor she is and sounded glad when she talked about how
much she saved with dad being in hospital.... Oh and she repeatedly
informed the nurse how unlucky she'd been in life "My other son was
born disabled"- Jeez! As she say she isn't making it easy to feel
sorry for her! I'm a calm Human being most of the time but the next
time she mentions money! See she let slip to Adam how little she has
coming in...Dad has a very good private pension and a top rated state
pension and she gets her state pension as well so apparently the
"little" at the moment is almost two thousand a month and she had a go
at dad because she brought him a shirt and some trousers and he wasn't
wearing them her actual words were "I don't know why I'm wasting good
money on you!"(Oh and she told me last night she was glad Adam and
Sonia did the lawn (she tells me they did a wonderful job- that's not
what she told them but she's suspicious of the fact Dave and Adam are
in contact and she's forever asking me what they talk about- we've
agreed not to tell her because Adam says things to Dave and endlessly
asks him not to tell her so everytime she asks I say "Oh they just
talk about work and the kids and our cats"-useful creatures cats- she
mutters something nasty about felines and general and changes the
subject-) anyway she was glad they did the lawn because she has
someone come once a month to do it and this month since she could use
Adam and Sonia as unpaid labour she didn't need to pay out for that)

As Adam says "it's all about money", she has to sell their car which
they brought second hand 3 years ago. She's asked Adam to do it which
is fair enough but she's insistent she pretty much wants what they
paid for it. She even offered to sell it to Adam with a hundred pounds
off ....Adam doesn't want it he would have to sell either his car,
which is in better condition or the old 4by 4, which is really only
worth scrap value but Sonia uses as a run around and it's still good
enough to pile them, kids and camping gear to go across Europe on
their holidays. In other words, she is asking him to be out of pocket
but had a go when he explained that because he won't just hand over
the cash to "help your poor old mum out". Anyway it was agreed Monday
Adam will sort this out, so he left Monday drove 8 hours to get home,
had Rebecca at the hospital having her wisdom teeth out on Tuesday and
by Wednesday afternoon she was on the phone demanding to know why he
hadn't sold the car yet!

Adam asked the doctor if he could attend the tribunal hearing and was
promised they'd give him two weeks notice so he could make
arrangements to be there (he managed to talk to the doctors by waiting
until he got home and calling them apparently it was impossible at the
hospital-the only time he and dad managed to talk was when she went to
the toilet and as soon as she was back she demanded to know what they
were talking about (she does this all the time Adam was taking 5
minutes break whilst doing the front garden and this woman walked past
with two lovely spaniel puppies, so Adam and the woman got talking
mostly about what lovely puppies they were- how old are they? We've
all had similar conversations and as soon as the woman went mum
dragged Adam into the house and demanded to know who he was talking to
and what they were talking about!) then said they should go as she was
bored after all she visits him twice a week and in no uncertain terms
it puts her out and costs ten pounds a time- it never occurred to her
Adam might want a little longer, anyway she had shopping he needed to
drive her too....she doesn't use the supermarket near the hospital but
expected him to drive her miles away to go somewhere else and never
offered to put in for the petrol

Anyway she got a call Thursday from the hospital asking her to come to
the tribunal on Monday, which she said to me she couldn't do as that's
the day she gets her hair done as I said to Dave when he was in
hospital the second day in my new job I was asked to attend a meeting
and I had to go into Bev and say "I know I only started yesterday but
can I have the afternoon off?" (She was great about it). This is
strange, like when the nurse thought dad might have a UTI he had to
wait until Tuesday to be seen by the doctor because "I get my hair
done on Monday" so now it will be Thursday (she even moaned about that
because she visits on Wednesday now she'll have to change her day
because she's not visiting him one day then having to go back the next
and it has so put her out!) and she's saying she doesn't understand
why the panel will have a solicitor on it to speak for dad because she
says she will even through she told me a week or so ago she would let
the doctors do what they want "because they know best". Adam's furious
and wondering whether she's hurrying things on because she's found out
he plans to attend and next week he's at a NATO exercise he simply
can't get out of.

Thursday is going to be WW3. She told the doctors and me she doesn't
want dad home now fair enough he has sworn at her and been aggressive
towards her even through he is improving and they're lowering his
medication but she told me, she didn't want him in the house if he
wasn't "Useful", her exact words were (excuse me...red mist coming
down here) "I'll no have him back in the house if he's just going to
sit there and take up space and not be doing his chores" (before he
became ill he told me her present to him on his retirement was a list
of what she wanted done each week and he looked at it and wished he
could go back to work because she's worked him harder since he
retired) I barely managed to be polite.

Anyway the odds are he isn't coming home just yet, the doctor told
Adam they were looking at a care home where he'll have his own room
and be rehabilitated with a view to going home. She doesn't want that.
She's said they have to keep him in the assessment unit at the
hospital because if he goes into a home it will be means tested and
some of his pension will be taken away to pay for the fees. And she's
convinced herself they'll listen to her when she argues they HAVE to
keep him there and not send him somewhere else. I would not want to be
the doctor who tells her no, this is only an assessment unit so he
can't stay there. She told me she would be happy to have him on a
chronic psychogeriatric ward so long as he's kept in the hospital so
the money doesn't get touched

Of course the logical move as we've been discussing with Adam (he says
if Dave wants to discuss it with mum go ahead, he's not going to as he
wants to see his children at least reach their next birthday) is for
her to move. The house they have has a drive that is six cars long ,
which means it is longer than my flat! She's talking about how much
it's all costing her for example she's handing almost four hundred
over to have the drive sealed even through it isn't that bad and Adam
said he could do it even found someone to rent a machine from for a
lot less but he didn't have the time over the weekend and she wants it
done now!( as Adam said if she'd been a bit nicer he or Sonia might
have stayed an extra few days and sorted it) and having to pay someone
to mow the lawn etc

I understand it's a big wrench to have to move elsewhere but the few
times it's been (cautiously) broached she's been of the following
view, she always wanted a big house now she's got it (as Adam said
"Her ivory tower") anyway why should she want to move? All her
neighbours are "respectable" people like lawyers and doctors- the fact
that apart from one neighbour she doesn't know them is neither here
nor there- she's told me in the past when dad retired she got him to
move and deliberately didn't keep in touch with their old neighbours
because "I've gone up in there World ". one of the reasons she shops
out of town is she doesn't want to bump into all the people she
snubbed on her way up! She's told me where they used to live was
"awful common"

I am seriously starting to wonder who is the problem here. She's
always been "set in her ways" and had to have everyone around her in
total agreement with her and doing what she says. Adam told Dave of
the time he got an unexpected free weekend and as he wasn't far from
them he thought he'd pop round to see them. So he turns up on Saturday
morning and it's "So glad to see you. Sit down." Then he said he could
stay Saturday and Sunday night but as he would be on duty early Monday
morning could he just pop his uniform in the machine and she looked at
him like he'd suggested something obscene and said "No. In this house
we do washing only on a Wednesday" so he had to leave on Sunday to get
his kit washed. She put their sister in a mental hospital when she was
16 because she wouldn't do what she was told. She even carted Dave off
to a child psychiatrist when he was 12 and as far as I can work out
was guilty of nothing more than being as naughty as 12 years tend to
be- then decided to completely ignore what the guy said because "He
doesn't look like a doctor, doesn't wear a white coat and he slouches
in the seat- so he's not a proper doctor!"

Jeez! I really wonder what's going on! And she has started to lean on
us to come up and "Give me a hand with some things around the house-
the hallway needs painted" as I am so totally NOT a domestic goddess
this may not be a good idea. Dave told Adam if we did go we'd go out
and about "because Lesley's never been to Scotland and wants to see
it" (which is true) and Adam's comment was "You ba**ard- why didn't I
think of that?"

Anyway Dave's fine- apart from the start of the hay fever season and
we have had some sort of bug

And I want to walk out of my job. I didn't have most of my consultants
in this week so I looked at the infamous typing pool...did 8 clinics
last week and 17 this week in 2 and a bit days...it's not a problem
now it's finished...not interesting but done...Apart from one other
person not one of our so-called team lifted a finger to help and the
one who has been demanding overtime and going on about how bad this
job is and how we're all trying so hard but it's all too much took the
news I sorted it out by trying to give me some work she's paid to do
which led the one who really was helping to slip me a warning about
that one's tendency to load her work onto anyone else...

I can live with that but Wednesday..,,,I was done for the day, put on
my coat, picked up my bag and heading for the bus stop when....the
capo de capo appeared and after a second asked if we could have a word
in her office....I work for the NHS so I was far from expecting a
medal for what I had done but when we got in her office I had a
conversation of such surreality John-Paul Satre couldn't have made it
up: "That looks unprofessional "

"What ?"

"There's a stain on that black top you're wearing that it isn't the
standard I expect"

"Whoa! There is a stain on but this is my jacket! I don't wear at it
work I take it off when I come in and put it on when I go out. Anyway
it's not like my role involves face to face contact with people!"

"Well I think you should wash it tonight- you're selling yourself
short, you know we had such glowing references when you came and all
your consultants praise you but you let yourself down with something
like this and I have to wonder if you're professional"

"If I wash this tonight I have nothing warm to wear ...you want me to
catch pneumonia!"
Apparently yes, pneumonia is better than a stain on my only warm
jacket

I've had a week of surreal conversations between her and Dave's
mum...only consolation I have got the week after next (next week now!)
off...9 days off and 8 lie-in's. Because yes...I have been offered an
interview for a job that's 10 minutes nearer (10 minutes extra
skritchie time!) and the next band up so automatically 120 a month or
so on top (more cat toys maybe that cat tree I have been looking at-
who am I trying to kid? I will get it just need to work out where to
put it) and better pay rises to come

But did they have to ask me to come at 9.15 on the 1st day of a week's
leave!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
..
Old April 8th 08, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default More fun with the district nurses

11.20 this morning when they're not due to come until next week- the
lovely Cecilia called. I asked her to call back in 5 minutes as Dave
was busy and she was suspicious of this wanted to know what he was
doing I couldn't face telling her he was still in bed! (I've got this
week off work through I wasted yesterday morning going to an
interview- well not an entire waste I don't want the job and I would
sooner find out that I don't now than after I've started- totally
disorganised- the 15 minute typing test was one small letter which
took 2 minutes and left me wondering what I had missed and then I had
to sit round for an hour and a half for a 10 minute interview) but
luckily he managed to walk into the living room in his bare feet
(another improvement) and he told her we were going out so no she
couldn't come round today- anyway you're not due until next week?

Cecilia wanted to know why he wanted to go out and did he really need
to? Dave got a bit shirty with her and said he was going out after all
his physio team recommended he do so (Friday and Monday we might be
going out) to avoid undoing all their good work (Klaus and Fiola said
they would call from time to time to check up on Dave but they haven't
and it's well over 2 months since they last saw him- why am I no
longer surprised?)

Anyway she was calling to check whether some dressing they'd ordered
had arrived and when told it had (the district nurse last week brought
it with her- can't they talk to each other!) she was eager to come and
tighten it around Dave's legs as tight as possible (and she has arms
like a steel worker!)- whatever turns you on I guess but Dave has
managed to deflect her until next Tuesday

So I have dedicated today to sloth and gluttony- had a nice lunch and
am currently typing this while Dave plays some Neil Young, cats are
both asleep by the radiator and Dave's mum hasn't called so to be
honest I am not going to call her. Yesterday she called Dave to say
that after doing all her housework she was too exhausted to go and
visit dad so I am not sure I want to speak to her today

Old April 8th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Lesley" wrote in message

So I have dedicated today to sloth and gluttony- had a nice lunch and
am currently typing this while Dave plays some Neil Young, cats are
both asleep by the radiator and Dave's mum hasn't called so to be
honest I am not going to call her. Yesterday she called Dave to say
that after doing all her housework she was too exhausted to go and
visit dad so I am not sure I want to speak to her today

I doubt he missed being visited. Sounds like she is lonesome for some
conflict. I mean why else call up to tell Dave she didn't go to visit, if
not to try to stir things up?

If that's the game she wants to play, there is nothing says you have to join
in.

Besides why mess with a perfectly lovely afternoon/evening?

Jo

Old April 8th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 8, 11:01*am, "Jo Firey" wrote:

If that's the game she wants to play, there is nothing says you have to join
in.

Have no plans at all to join in-Just wonder if she;s paranoid- when she called yesterday she told Dave how knackered she was and he tried to gently suggest to her that perhaps she could just dust the loving room and kitchen in case she had visitors and she said she couldn't do that what would the neighbours think? Dave tried to point out that the neighbours apart from one never come round and the house is well set back from the road and she said "They'll know". Dave tried to point out -do you live in a neighbourhood where they're using binoculars? And she kept saying "They'll know"

When Dave told me my only comment was that I hadn't been aware Leven
was twinned with Stepford...

Anyway she'll not phone us unless there's any news. Nornally I call
her if she hasn't called just to be on the safe side (like maybe she
called and we missed the call- for some reason our answerphone is
playing up) but tonight I don't want to play anything more
intellectual than "Solitaire" read anything that requires to do more
than a little thinking or watch anything that I have to pay much
attention to. My big decision at this moment in time is quick shower
or long hot soak? This is the life...

I could get used to it

Old April 8th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

How nosy can you get? What was she suspicious about? For one thing, the
logical reason for saying he was busy would be that he was in the loo.
Also, it seems out of line for someone supposedly interested in his recovery
to ask why he wants to go out. It seems to me she should be applauding
that.

Joy

Old April 20th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default He's flipped

Dave last went out the Sunday I sprained my ankle, that's almost 3
months ago.

I've tried very hard to get him out but he's always finding some
excuse (bad weather, money shortages etc) and I am once again back to
worrying that all the wonderful work the physio's did with him will
become undone so not having left the house for 3 months and walking no
further than the front door- what does laughing boy do?

He gets tickets for 2 gigs, one next Sunday and the other on the 9th
of May and STILL he doesn't go out, we were going to try the pub over
the road's roast dinners today but we got up late and then he started
saying by the time he'd had a wash etc...so he's planning to go from
hardly moving at all to having to stand for 3 or 4 hours....Still I
guess it's a sign things are getting back to normal he's always gone
to extremes about going out- long before he got ill he'd not go out
for ages then go out and walk for miles with me bringing up the rear
and pointing out that I had to walk miles every day and this was not
my idea of a day off!

And of course shoes are a problem- the sandals he was given a year ago
are starting to fall apart not surprising given he has them on all day
and every day, in fact they've lasted very well indeed. I've brought
him a couple of pairs but the innate problem is that one of his feet
is a bit bigger than the other and that's before you take his
dressings into account so anything that fits that foot is dangerously
loose on the other or fits the other and crushes his toes on that
side. I suggested calling Claus because he might be able to if nothing
else get Dave some more sandals

And we still haven't sorted out getting a bath or a shower- the
district nurses are all (apart from Cecilia) agreeing that the best
thing would be for them to call the day before they are coming and
then Dave could take his leg dressings off in the morning and have a
bath/shower before they came round and could put them back
on. ...sensible but they don't do it!

I have also got an interview on Thursday- this is for quite a big
promotion so any odd purrs hanging round would be appreciated- it's a
much more involved and interesting job than the current one- basically
it's office manager for a couple of paediatric secretarial teams I'll
be the boss! It's on the same site so I like the area and I like where
I work

Oh and Adrian- cats are fine for some reason they've really been
bouncing about for a couple of days, spring is in the air perhaps?
It's certainly in them! Through at this moment, Sarsi is doing her
dead cat impersonation on top of the PC and Dunzi is crashed out on
her box by the bedroom window

Old April 20th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Normin

"Lesley" wrote in message
[...]

(snipped)

Lesley, if you've bought him a couple of pairs of sandals, can
you take one sandal from each pair to fit his feet (the larger
one the larger foot, etc)? that might solve the problem for now
anyway...

Sara

Old April 20th 08, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Apr 20, 11:39*am, "Normin" wrote:

Lesley, if you've bought him a couple of pairs of sandals, can
you take one sandal from each pair to fit his feet (the larger
one the larger foot, etc)? *

It's an idea- but they're two completely different pairs of shoes- but
there's a place not far from here that does cheap shoes so I might get
him to try what I've already got him on to get an idea then buy two
pairs one a size lower than the other!

thanks for the tip