Getting ready for a new aby kitten in Chicago-advice on vets

Old July 31st 03, 02:35 AM
Cheryl

I totally agree. Here's another pic that I'm guessing is from the
1940's or 50's:

http://www.traditionalcats.com/Breed...sianChinchilla
..jpg

I don't get how they went from that to the owl looking cat.
Beautiful.

Old July 31st 03, 12:52 PM
*~*SooZy*~*

Wow what beauties :-)

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

OMG. That's a beautiful cat. Those
flat-faced, runny-eyed,
perpetually-sneering Persians of today
that the breeders have created don't hold
a candle to that creature.

I totally agree. Here's another pic that I'm guessing is from the 1940's
or 50's:

http://www.traditionalcats.com/Breed...Chinchilla.jpg

Comparing that to the new breeds makes you want to cry doesn't it?
Especially when there are plenty of gorgeous fluffy cats with lovely
personalties you can get for free or for a small adoption fee! Here are
two (plus Teddy the stripey one) of my "free" gorgeous fluffy cats:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/4...6/15708432.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/4...6/12033420.jpg

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old July 31st 03, 04:54 PM
-L.

wrote in message ...
Sherry wrote:

OMG. That's a beautiful cat. Those
flat-faced, runny-eyed,
perpetually-sneering Persians of today
that the breeders have created don't hold
a candle to that creature.

I totally agree. Here's another pic that I'm guessing is from the 1940's
or 50's:

http://www.traditionalcats.com/Breed...Chinchilla.jpg

Comparing that to the new breeds makes you want to cry doesn't it?
Especially when there are plenty of gorgeous fluffy cats with lovely
personalties you can get for free or for a small adoption fee! Here are
two (plus Teddy the stripey one) of my "free" gorgeous fluffy cats:

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/4...6/15708432.jpg

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/4...6/12033420.jpg

Megan

I was going to say that those pics from yon look like the longhairs in
the shelters. Hybrid vigor is always beautiful.

-L.

Old August 1st 03, 07:01 AM

-L wrote:
I was going to say that those pics from
you look like the longhairs in the shelters.

Actually those two, Princess and Marvin, are the offspring of a feral
cat, Stella, that I had trapped.
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL51/4...6/12031747.jpg

She was so hugely pregnant when I caught her that I felt she was past
the point of safely spaying her. She had 7 kittens! I found homes for
two of them together, but ended up keeping the other five. I look at
them and just can't imagine that they could would have been feral and on
the streets, especially Princess who is a creature of very delicate
sensibilities. :-)
Hybrid vigor is always beautiful.

I totally agree and there is no shortage of beautiful cats available at
shelters or living on the streets that need rescuing. This is what
mystifies me. How can anyone, knowing that there is such a huge
overpopulation problem, even consider turning their backs on cats in
need by buying a cat from a breeder? There is nothing a "purebred" can
offer that can't be found in a cat from a shelter or that is a stray.
And what do "papers" really mean anyway? (Zilch in my book.) So many
cats dying and still these people, who are in a position to make a
direct and very important impact and difference, place more importance
on their own selfish desires. I just don't get that mentality.

Old August 1st 03, 07:22 AM
-L.

"Cheryl" wrote in message ...
-L. wrote:

Do you think they breed for the red eye coloration?

Yes, they do especially in the black cats. If you ever see one in
person, it's really amazing (although quite odd).

I haven't seen eyes like that. I bet they are shocking.

It doesn't look natural but it certainly is
*exotic*. I guess that's what they're going for.

Sigh. Freakish is more like it...

Well, I used the word *exotic* on purpose because the CF site also
showed some short-haired persians

Now, *that's* an oxymoron if I ever heard one!...What's next - a
long-haired Sphynx? (I know, I know...don't give them any ideas!)

(exotics) bred[1] for those persian
lovers who don't want the bother of having to groom long hair.

-L.

[1] No, I don't know for a fact that it wasn't nature that created the
exotics.

Oh, I wasn't criticizing your use of the label "exotic" - those eyes
*are* exotic looking. I was just commenting on the freakishness of
promoting something that is so infrequent in nature.

-L.

Old August 1st 03, 09:15 PM

Arjun Ray wrote:

They would rather have trophies than pets.

You know, you'll reach more people if you are willing to not
overgeneralize and make yourself look like some one who is just totally
unreasonable.

My Isis is very much a pet thankyouverymuch... and if I really wanted just
a trophy, why did I bother trying to tame her down and get her to not be
afraid of me (The cat is super timid... total sweetheart and not a mean
bone in her body, but so afraid of people). I could have easily just given
her away and tried to find another one that would show herself to others
more often (you'd never know I had her if I didn't tell you. Some of my
friends still question her existance as she's very good at hiding before
anyone even comes in the house).

I got Isis because my previous cat had a lot of Siamese and I loved her
(There's a reason for you to get a purebred that has nothing to do with
wanting a trophy)... though you'll find it amusing that the two are
nothing alike. They share(d)siamese traits but display it in totally
different ways. Yes, a breed can have traits that fit the breed and have
very different cats at the same time.

For example both were one people cats (very much a Siamese trait. The
one person I've met with a siamese that did like other people says it
is still obvious who she favors).Sharmon was mean to anyone else
who dared pet her but not afraid of them, just didn't like them and would
scratch them for daring to touch her. Hell, sometimes she'd scratch me
for touching her when she wanted to be left alone (Isis has leave me
alone periods too but she's not mean.. she just runs away if you try to
pet her and she doesn't want to be pet). Isis is not a mean
cat but afraid of eveyrone and bonded to me and even my roommate who she
knows she doesn't trust as well, but she lets him even pet her sometimes,
but it's obvious who she favors (who she lets pick her up, who she comes
to, who she doesn't give very distrustful stares when they try to pet
her). Both held grudges very well also... Isis goes back to being you
scare me, and Sharmon would just hide out somewhere and get ****y if you
found her (it was foolish to try to pet her if she was under something..
usually meant she wanted to be left alone).

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.