High everybody-looking for the website that shows CARB and PROTEIN content for kitty food! thanks.

Old September 14th 04, 04:28 AM
edirol

Default High everybody-looking for the website that shows CARB and PROTEIN content for kitty food! thanks.

Saw it once or twice before, and was wondering what the website is.

It listed food and their carb/protein ratio for my diebetic kitty.

Was wondering the difference between DM and Science Diet m/d which is
now approved for diebetic diet.

Thanks very much.

Old September 14th 04, 05:48 AM

The site you are looking for is he
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

However, a better diet for your diabetic cat would be Wellness canned
food as most of the flavors are lower in carb content than either of the
prescription foods and contain no grains. An added bonus is that it is
by far a better quality food and there are several flavors within a
close range so your cat can have a variety without messing up his BG
numbers. I have worked with several diabetic cats that were put on
Wellness and their insulin needs were reduced dramatically with one cat
going off of insulin completely.

These are "as fed" numbers for carb % which are more accurate than the
guaranteed analysis numbers:

Purina DM =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 7
Hills m/d 14

Wellness:

Beef & Chicken =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 2.2
Turkey =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 2.5
Turkey & Salmon =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 3.2
Chicken =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 4.2
Chicken & Lobster =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 4.8
Sardines, Shrimp & Crab =A0 5.9
Chicken & Herring =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 5.9
Salmon &Trout =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 7.7

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old September 14th 04, 09:15 AM
edirol

thanks,

where is the best place to buy this??

I'm a little surprised as they (vet) are so addiment about Purinia DM,
but they where out and said md was ok, only to find it's more than
double the cards (this is what is bad for him correct?)....

anyway, I'm bringing the md back, and getting him the weelness, (hope
I can find it around here) I also have a few fancy feast cod, shrimp,
that is very low in carbs too.

also, what else should I look for for emergencys (i.e.
store/supermarket food?), or is something like real STEAK, Chicken,
pork, red salmon,

personally, he would get lobster and shrimp of my plate if I knew it
was ok, he's such a part of me, actually they both (his sister)
are.....

etc, ok??On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 23:48:39 -0500, wrote:

The site you are looking for is he
http://www.sugarcats.net/sites/jmpeerson/canfood.html

However, a better diet for your diabetic cat would be Wellness canned
food as most of the flavors are lower in carb content than either of the
prescription foods and contain no grains. An added bonus is that it is
by far a better quality food and there are several flavors within a
close range so your cat can have a variety without messing up his BG
numbers. I have worked with several diabetic cats that were put on
Wellness and their insulin needs were reduced dramatically with one cat
going off of insulin completely.

These are "as fed" numbers for carb % which are more accurate than the
guaranteed analysis numbers:

Purina DM テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 7
Hills m/d 14

Wellness:

Beef & Chicken テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 2.2
Turkey テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 2.5
Turkey & Salmon テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 3.2
Chicken テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 4.2
Chicken & Lobster テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 4.8
Sardines, Shrimp & Crab テつ* 5.9
Chicken & Herring テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 5.9
Salmon &Trout テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* テつ* 7.7

Old September 14th 04, 03:09 PM

thanks,
where is the best place to buy this??

You can find a store in your area he
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/loca...cator_form.asp

I'm a little surprised as they (vet) are
so addiment about Purinia DM, but they
where out and said md was ok, only to
find it's more than double the cards
(this is what is bad for him
correct?)....

Yes. If you were feeding a food with 14% carbs and then switched to a
food with 7%
carbs your insulin needs would be lower and your cat go go hypo if the
dose was not adjusted. It's a real balancing act and I cannot stress
enough the importance of learning to home test so yuu can know at any
moment of the day what your cat's BG level is and do glucose curves at
home which are much more accurate than those done at the vets (where
your cat would have higher BG numbers because of the stress.) The One
Touch Ultra glucose monitor is IMO the best to use for cats as it uses a
very small blood sample and only takes 5 seconds to get a reading. You
can usually find good deals for the test strips online, and often there
are deals where you get a free meter with the purchase of strips. Post
to the messageboard at http://www.felinediabetes.com and someone should
be able to give you a link to a current deal. Jamie recently posted
several excellent links you would find useful for learning to hometest.
Hopefully she'll see this and post them again.

anyway, I'm bringing the md back, and
getting him the weelness, (hope I can
find it around here) I also have a few
fancy feast cod, shrimp, that is very
low in carbs too.

There are some people that use it, but if your cats like the Wellness
it's preferable as the Fancy Feast is low quality grocery store food.

also, what else should I look for for
emergencys (i.e. store/supermarket
food?), or is something like real STEAK,
Chicken, pork, red salmon,
personally, he would get lobster and
shrimp of my plate if I knew it was ok,
he's such a part of me, actually they
both (his sister) are.....
etc, ok??

What kind of emergency do you mean?
As a treat all of the foods you listed would be fine.

Old September 14th 04, 03:22 PM

edirol wrote:

anyway, I'm bringing the md back, and getting him the weelness, (hope
I can find it around here) I also have a few fancy feast cod, shrimp,
that is very low in carbs too.

For MD to work you cannot mix his diet with other foods.

From the words of Steve Crane regarding m/d (Steve works for Hills as
Veterinary consultant)

"So yes the diet works, but *only* if pet owners follow directions. In
testing, all cats became metabolically ketogenic which is the
objective of such a low carb diet. Once the state of metabolic ketosis
is reached, that is the trigger for changing metabolism."

-mhd

Old September 14th 04, 04:31 PM

-mhd wrote:
For MD to work you cannot mix his diet
with other foods.

snip

That was in terms of using it for weight loss. The OP is looking for
foods that can keep his cats insulin needs to a minimum. AFAIC m/d is
not even a choice in terms of dealng with diabetes. It's too high in
carbs.