closed bowl for kittens that forbids adults from eating

Old May 22nd 04, 08:15 PM
Christian Fecteau

Default closed bowl for kittens that forbids adults from eating

I have 2 Siamese. A kitten and an adult. They have different food and
the adult prefers the kitten's.

I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?
Old May 22nd 04, 11:25 PM
GovtLawyer

I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

Old May 23rd 04, 01:36 AM
MaryL

"Christian Fecteau" wrote in message
om...
I have 2 Siamese. A kitten and an adult. They have different food and
the adult prefers the kitten's.

I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

There has been a similar thread this week on rec.pets.cats.health+behav. I
have never heard of a commercial product such as what you described, but an
answer provided by GovtLawyer in health+behav might help in your situation.
He described using a cardboard box with holes cut in the side. The holes
are large enough for the smaller cat to enter but not for the larger cat to
enter. Here is part of his answer: "...Instead of turning the box
upside-down I stuck adhesive backed Velcro on the 'flaps' so it opens up to
put the food in and do a periodic cleaning. ...I also cut a small window in
the side so he could see what he was eating. It's been working well for the
last 6 months or so." He said that he had to use Velcro under the bowl so
the larger cat could not reach through the hole and pull the bowl over to
the entry hole.

MaryL

Old May 23rd 04, 01:37 AM
MaryL

"GovtLawyer" wrote in message
I need a closed bowl like in the form of a cube, with just a hole that
has an adjustable diameter for allowing only kittens to put their
heads in and eat. Does that exist? Or will I have to make my own?

You can make your own out of a cardboard box.

Oops, I just posted a response -- and now I see that I was quoting *you.*
Well, as you can see, I think you provided an excellent solution in the
health+behav newsgroup.

MaryL

Old May 23rd 04, 03:12 PM
GovtLawyer

So I managed to reduce
the diameter of the hole, but now the kitten won't enter cause it's
too hard. If I put her in the box she can exit, but she's not
motivated to enter.

Is there somethin inside that's very alluring? I imagine that if the prize
inside was worthwhile, she would love it in there.
Your kitties are beautiful. Take a look at Mickey & Daisy.

http://hometown.aol.com/borninthebronx/index.html