CATS & WEEDS

Old June 2nd 04, 01:11 AM
Ted Davis

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:41:47 GMT, "Magic Mood JeepĀ©"
wrote:

Tobacco juice works as well. My mom used to buy the 'bricks' of chewing
tobacco, soak it in a coffee can of water for a couple for days, then pour
that water (looked like tea or coffee) into a sprayer or squirtbottle, and
spray weeds/grass that she didn't want growing. It's the Nicotine that
kills the plants. Works very well on poison ivy & other vines.

That's *far* from nontoxic to mammals.

As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will pour
(including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the more you
need. It doesn't take much.

T.E.D. - e-mail must contain "T.E.D." or my .sig in the body)
Old June 2nd 04, 02:00 AM
Cheryl

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
artfully composed this message
within on 01 Jun
2004:

As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
more you need. It doesn't take much.

Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

--
Cheryl

Old June 2nd 04, 01:54 PM
Ted Davis

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:00:58 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

In the fine newsgroup "rec.pets.cats.misc", Ted Davis
artfully composed this message
within on 01 Jun
2004:

As for salt, the water is just a carrier so any ratio that will
pour (including dry salt) will do - the weaker the solution, the
more you need. It doesn't take much.

Thanks Ted. Always looking for non-toxic ways. I always do what
Sunflower wrote, and just pull them. But in between pavers and along
the walkway, pulling all the time just gets silly because I can't get
the root if it's under the bricks. This sounds like something worth
trying. Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

Don't know.

Salting fields is an ancient way of ensuring that your defeated enemy
cannot rise again, at least not at the same place. The Romans
supposidly did this to Carthage in 146 BCE - the story is probably
untrue, but illustrates that the use of salt as a vegatation killer
goes back a *long* way.

T.E.D. )

Old June 3rd 04, 05:51 PM
Fat Freddy

As for salt... It doesn't take much.

...Will it deter slugs as a possible bonus?

Yes it will.

Every night, I put a bowl of food out by the front door for strays and
visiting neighbors and the slugs get into it. To prevent this I
sprinkle a little salt around. The slugs won't go near it. Sprinkle a
few grains of salt on a slug and you will see why.

Use very little salt, especially if you have plants growing nearby.