What a morning :^)

Old July 15th 05, 08:41 PM
Sheenah

Default What a morning :^)

I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist at my
vet's.

I was due at work at 8.00 am and so last night set my bedside clock's
alarm for 5.45 am. I thought getting up that early would give me plenty
of time for feeding the gang, tidying my house and getting myself ready
to leave for work 2 hours later :^) Shortly before 5.45 am, I woke up.
Unfortunately, when I went into the kitchen to fed my cats, and looked
at its wall clock, it said 7.00 am. Oh s**t :^) I put the television
on. Oh yes. It was 7.00 am :^)

Shortly before 8.00 am, I arrived at work. As I was getting out of my
car, another car turned into the driveway. It was a man with a cat who
had breathing difficulties. The man explained that he had managed to
contact the vet and that the vet was on his way. While waiting for
someone who had keys to the surgery to arrive, I had thoughts that if
the cat stopped breathing or went into cardiac arrest, I'd use some of
the First Aid skills I've recently acquired through becoming a member of
a voluntary organisation that provides First Aid training and cover for
different events here in the UK and pray that I could keep him alive
until one of the vets' trained staff arrived. I did not have to do so.
Some five minutes after the gentleman and I had met, the vet's Head
Receptionist arrived. As she had keys to the surgery, we were able to
get inside it and she was able to try to make the cat more comfortable -
ie, she was able to give him oxygen. Soon, a veterinary nurse arrived.
Then did the vet. Despite their best efforts, sadly, the little cat
passed away shortly before 9.00 am.

Mary, the Head Receptionist had come early to work in order to show me
what needed doing before our clients started arriving at 8.30 am. She
had to do so while trying to help the nurse deal with the sick cat.

The morning's pre-booked clients started arriving at 8.20 and while
trying to book the first one in, my computer screen went blank. Oh s**t
:^) I called for help. Mary soon discovered that the monitor's plug had
come partly out of its socket. Why ? Because I had inadvertently caught
my foot in its lead which was trailing on the floor under the desk I was
working at :^) While I was not able to work on the computer, life
decided to see how I'd cope with barking dogs in Reception, a ringing
telephone and more clients coming through the door :^)

For about 2 hours, the surgery was very busy and I got to practice many
of the tasks that I hope to one day become competent in. Mary sat
beside me and when I got into difficulties (which was quite often), she
helped me remember what to do. From time to time, I thought: "I can't
do this. What must Mary be thinking? She must be thinking I'm
completely stupid" and felt a lump in throat and tears forming. Such
thoughts and reactions were "old" me characteristics. This "old" me was
someone who couldn't often accept that it takes time for "me" to learn a
new skill and that it is therefore OK for "me" to make mistakes when
beginning to learn new skills, and who also doesn't like giving folk
reason to think ill of her :^)

Mary and all the clients I had to deal with today were kind and patient
and for that I was truly grateful :^).

Sheenah

Old July 15th 05, 09:08 PM
Adrian

Sheenah wrote:
[...]

Talk about a baptism of fire! I'm so sorry for the poor cat that died,
and his slave. Purrs for things to get better quickly.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 15th 05, 09:12 PM
Sheenah

"Adrian" wrote in message
Sheenah wrote:
I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist

at
my vet's.

snip

Sheenah

Talk about a baptism of fire!

LOL I agree :^)

Sheenah

Old July 15th 05, 09:17 PM
Annie Wxill

"Sheenah" wrote in message
I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist at my
vet's.

Sheenah

Good luck in your new job. You might also think about getting another
clock.
You had a rough day. You'll do fine when you get in sync with the routine.
Annie

Old July 15th 05, 09:22 PM
Sheenah

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

"Sheenah" wrote in message
I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist

at my
vet's.

Sheenah

Good luck in your new job.

Thank you.

You might also think about getting another
clock.

I think the problem with mine might be resolved if I replaced it's
battery :^)

You had a rough day. You'll do fine when you get in sync with the

routine.

Thank you :^).

Best regards

Sheenah
Annie

Old July 15th 05, 10:45 PM
Karen

Boy that getting started late when you think you have plenty of time is one
of the stinkiest things to happen. That is enough to make everything seem
worse. Purrs for a smoother workday next time!

"

Old July 15th 05, 11:56 PM
Annie Wxill

"Sheenah" wrote in message

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message

You might also think about getting another
clock.

Annie
I think the problem with mine might be resolved if I replaced it's
battery :^)
Sheenah

I almost forgot about the time, ages ago, when I got a new job and was so
excited.
That afternoon I made sure to set the clock so that I would not be late for
work the next morning.
I was so tired that evening that I fell asleep on the couch.
After a while, I heard my alarm clock in the bedroom and sure enough, it was
time to get up. Surely I had plenty of sleep. Why was I still groggy? Why
was it still dark outside?
I got dressed in the clothes I had carefully laid out the night before and
was about to fix breakfast when I realized that I'd only had a couple of
hours sleep. I'd set the alarm for p.m. instead of a.m.
Sheesh!
So, I reset the clock and went back to bed.
No, I was not late for work.
Annie

Old July 16th 05, 12:22 AM
Exocat

"Sheenah" wrote in message
I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist at
my
vet's.

Who was it said "things can only get better" (or beddrrrrrr)??

In time to come I'm sure you'll look back with fondness on
your baptism of fire.

Purrs that you do

Gordon & the TT/FF

Old July 16th 05, 01:29 AM
mlbriggs

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:41:39 +0100, Sheenah wrote:

[...]

:^)

Mary and all the clients I had to deal with today were kind and patient
and for that I was truly grateful :^).

Sheenah

First days are often traumatic. Purrs that each passing day improves and
that you will be happy in your new job. MLB

Old July 16th 05, 05:33 PM
Cathi

In message , Exocat
writes

"Sheenah" wrote in message
I'd like to share with you my first morning as a bank receptionist at
my
vet's.

Who was it said "things can only get better" (or beddrrrrrr)??

If you're thinking singing, rather than speaking, it was a band called
D:Ream. Made No 24 in the UK in 1993; the re-issue made No 1 in 1994.
It was re-issued again in 1997 as the Labour Party's campaign theme
song, and made No 19.

--
Cathi

Whose "study" always has a well-thumbed copy of the Guinness Book of British
Hit Singles to hand