Earth Hour

Old March 29th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

Default Earth Hour

Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. And it's interesting that according to the Toronto Star,
the idea began a year ago in Sydney Australia. This year there's a
light-dimming rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I know there are
many Aussies including Flippy in this newsgroup, and I say "Good on
you, mates."

As for Toronto? At 8:00 pm our CN Tower will cut the laser beams that
illuminate its exterior at night, offices and homes will hit the "off"
switches, and the noble Royal York Hotel will be lit with candles.
Probably the only light you'll see at our house is the TV screen.

Do our kitties care? Not a bit of it - they'll see perfectly well with
those incredible eyes by the tiny amount of light coming in the
windows!

What's happening in your area?
Old March 29th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Bobcat wrote:
Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. And it's interesting that according to the Toronto Star,
the idea began a year ago in Sydney Australia. This year there's a
light-dimming rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I know there are
many Aussies including Flippy in this newsgroup, and I say "Good on
you, mates."

Probably the only light you'll see at our house is the TV screen.

What's happening in your area?

Sorry to say this is the first I've heard of it.

Jill
Old March 29th 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Bobcat wrote:
Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. And it's interesting that according to the Toronto Star,
the idea began a year ago in Sydney Australia. This year there's a
light-dimming rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I know there are
many Aussies including Flippy in this newsgroup, and I say "Good on
you, mates."

As for Toronto? At 8:00 pm our CN Tower will cut the laser beams that
illuminate its exterior at night, offices and homes will hit the "off"
switches, and the noble Royal York Hotel will be lit with candles.
Probably the only light you'll see at our house is the TV screen.

Your TV is "electric", too, you know? On the news last night they were
saying we should turn off all appliances, too - even those in "standby"
mode. I wonder how many people will go THAT far? Our evenings are mild
enough this time of year so we can do without heating/air-conditioning
and ceiling fans, but it would take more "juice" to re-chill a
refrigerator than it does to simply keep it running at its normal
thermostat setting. (And how much current does it take to leave your
clock-radio and microwave clock running?)
Old March 29th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Sounds like a good idea but I think it will turn out like the "don't buy gas
on this day" things they do around here. People buy before or after,
proving nothing. By the time they reboot PC's and restart motors what will
really be proven? I would think trying to save a little each day would do
more good. Lights, I can take them or leave them!!!
"Matthew" wrote in message

"Bobcat" wrote in message
[...]

I understand what they are doing they have been advertising on TV here
film your Earth Hour which I thought was an oxymoron since you have to
recharge the video camera after.

Old March 29th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources. And it's interesting that according to the Toronto Star,
the idea began a year ago in Sydney Australia. This year there's a
light-dimming rivalry between Melbourne and Sydney. I know there are
many Aussies including Flippy in this newsgroup, and I say "Good on
you, mates."

Given the dearth of decent TV programming lately, especially on Saturday
night, we will likely turn off everything for an hour and sit outside and
talk. Sunset isn't until 7:30 so we can enjoy the twilight and watch the
stars come out. The moon is at 50 so shouldn't be an issue. Wish I thought
a lot of lights would be out so we could really see the stars. I suppose we
could drive further out in the country, but that would rather defeat the
purpose.

Jo

Old March 29th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 09:41:53 -0700 (PDT), Bobcat
wrote:

.

For 15 years I've been using compact fluorescent light 'bulbs' almost
everywhere in my house. Most are 13 watts.

I only have a light on in the room I'm IN. I keep a flashlight (which
uses a rechargeable battery)inmy pocket to go through dark rooms,
instead of turning on lights, or leaving them on.

It's amazing how much electricity you can save!

Old March 29th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Bobcat wrote:

Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources.

Any more specific details than "tonight"? Such as, at what time?

Joyce
Old March 29th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

wrote in message
Bobcat wrote:

Tonight, cities and communities around the world will dim or turn off
the lights for an hour to draw attention to our abuse of the world's
resources.

Any more specific details than "tonight"? Such as, at what time?

Joyce

Eight PM, your local time.
Earth Hour is an international event that asks households and businesses to
turn off their lights and non-essential electrical appliances for one hour
on the evening of 29 March at 8 pm local time until 9 pm to promote
electricity conservation and thus lower carbon emissions. It may also help
reduce light pollution, and in 2008, coincides with the beginning of
National Dark Sky Week in the USA.

It is promoted by World Wide Fund for Nature Australia (WWF), an
environmental lobby group, and the Sydney Morning Herald. The first Earth
Hour was held in Sydney, Australia between 7:30 pm and 8:30 pm on 31 March
2007. The 2007 Earth Hour is estimated to have cut Sydney's mains
electricity consumption by between 2.1% and 10.2% for that hour, with as
many as 2.2 million people taking part. Earth Hour 2008 marks the first
anniversary of the event with many partner cities and individuals around the
world participating.

Old March 29th 08, 10:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobcat

On Mar 29, 3:37*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Your TV is "electric", too, you know? *On the news last night they were
saying we should turn off all appliances, too - even those in "standby"
mode. *I wonder how many people will go THAT far? *Our evenings are mild
enough this time of year so we can do without heating/air-conditioning
and ceiling fans, but it would take more "juice" to re-chill a
refrigerator than it does to simply keep it running at its normal
thermostat setting. *(And how much current does it take to leave your
clock-radio and microwave clock running?)

You're correct about our TV's power consumption - over 200 watts by
one calculation. So off it goes for the hour. Why not? Some people say
that the Earth Hour is a futile excercise. I don't think so - it's
simply a reminder of resources consumption on a global scale.

Old March 29th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Weekend blues (was: Earth Hour)

Jo Firey wrote:

Given the dearth of decent TV programming lately, especially on Saturday
night, we will likely turn off everything for an hour and sit outside and
talk. Sunset isn't until 7:30 so we can enjoy the twilight and watch the
stars come out. The moon is at 50 so shouldn't be an issue. Wish I thought
a lot of lights would be out so we could really see the stars. I suppose we
could drive further out in the country, but that would rather defeat the
purpose.

This is a wonderful idea. But I'm sure it's a whole lot easier and more
fun to do when you have a "we" to enjoy the twilight and the stars and
moon, and drive out to the country.

Imagine sitting alone in the dark for an hour. Of course, if you're never
alone, then that probably sounds great. Loneliness is one of those things
that gets *worse* the more you do it. YOu don't ever get used to it, it
just gets harder and harder.

I know, because I was in a couple for 15 years. And during that time,
"time alone" was a precious commodity. And when I was first made single
(after the breakup of the 15-year relationship), I enjoyed my singlehood
a great deal. Loved going to movies by myself, hanging alone, not having
to answer to anyone. But now, 9 years later, it's gotten old. Really,
REALLY old.

I changed the subject so as not to hijack the thread. Everyone I know
who is participating in this is part of a "We". And I'm getting the
Weekend Blues again, because I tried to make plans for tonight and was
unsuccessful. So I'm going to be alone tonight, but I decided to make
the best of it this time and not sit around the house by myself all night.
That was one of the things that made me so deeply depressed last week.
I decided I was going to go out and do something tonight - go to a movie,
or hang out at a coffeeshop, just so I wasn't cocooning in my house.

It's a very precarious situation for me, because when I start feeling
like this, all I really want to do is roll up in a ball, and I could
easily end up staying in the house all night, just because I'm too depressed
to move. That just makes things worse. So I have to go out tonight. But it's
not a safe place to just go walking under the stars, so I will need to
go someplace where, unfortunately, electricity will be used...

Any suggestions??

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.

Unhooking in an hour or so Susan M Cat anecdotes 8 January 22nd 07 10:52 PM
Animal Hour with Susie Aga MDM Senior Cat health & behaviour 0 December 12th 06 03:13 PM
Half an hour... Adrian Cat anecdotes 10 March 9th 06 07:18 PM
25 hour update Susan M Cat anecdotes 15 June 28th 05 02:25 PM
My 24 hour kitty O J Cat anecdotes 39 August 20th 04 10:23 AM