kitten does not clean self

Old August 2nd 03, 04:58 AM
miracatta

Default kitten does not clean self

We have a kitten, about 4-5 months old, who is perfect in every way,
except that he does not clean himself very well, and reeks of urine
almost all the time. He is a white cat. His fur is more like rabbit
fur than cat fur, very silky and medium long.
He is very meticulous about using his litter and never soils the
house. But, it is difficult to pick him up and hold him because he
just smells awful. We presently fill the bathroom sink with lukewarm
water and slosh his bottom around, which helps, although he hates it.
We are hoping the smell goes away a bit when he is neutered.
What could we do to encourage him to be cleaner? We had a cat with far
longer and denser hair, and this was never a problem. We love to hold
him, but we are all beginning to smell like cat boxes.
Old August 2nd 03, 06:58 AM

We are hoping the smell goes away a bit
when he is neutered. What could we do to
encourage him to be cleaner?

The fact that your cat is not neutered *is* the reason for the strong
smell. There is nothing worse than the smell of tomcat urine and this is
what you are smelling. Your kitty is old enough to be neutered and you
should do it now. The smell will subside as his hormone levels decrease
after the operation. It usually takes a few weeks.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 4th 03, 08:39 PM
Sharon Talbert

The smell will definitely abate when he is neutered, and it is high time
he was nuetered, actually.

Trimming his backside a bit might help as well, though that would be a
pity.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org

Guest Cat & Kitten LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 10th 04 02:08 PM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM
Resident female cat does not accept new kitten Help!!!!! Dan Coleman Cat health & behaviour 4 July 23rd 03 04:55 PM