Training a cat n=to be afraid of cars

Old April 29th 04, 10:38 AM
Tree Line

I sent an email but did not notice you spooked your address.

The latest word in cat "training" appears to be clicker training.

Karen Pryor wrote a book on this, Clicker Training Your Cat.
She has a web site, clickertraining.com.

Wendy Jeffries has a Yahoo Group on training cats with clickers.

If you are serious about training, then why not talk to the
professionals who train cats, big ones like tigers and little pussy
cats.

There may not be any solution but that would seem a logical place to
start for serious questions - the professionals.

They know how to train dogs not to chase cats, so maybe they know how
to train cats to be wary of cars. In a hunting situation, that may not
be possible. But it's worth a try. A clicker is only $2 USD and easy
to operate. That and some food and you are on your way. It's also good
for entertaining a cat and perhaps, and this is extremely important,
giving the cat something else to do, namely learning tricks, like
enjoying a harness.
Old April 29th 04, 03:03 PM
Gee

"minerva nine" wrote in message
I understand your being irritated by my post -- it was a bit over the top,
as I shot it off before giving myself a chance to think. My apologies.

Thank you for the apology, I certainly accept it.

In a perfect world, all cats would live indoors. However, given that many
still live outdoors, perhaps it's best to accept that reality and try to
make life better for those that do live outdoors.

That is so true. I with I could take in every animal I come across. I'd
probably have a house full of not only cats, but foxes, birds, even worms
But when love is bound by money, laws and other people around, one just has
to settle to 4 cats household with an additional "guest" cat (Sparkie). So
yeah, one does what one can. Life is certainly not fair.

If I could give one suggestion to Sparky's new owners, it would be to keep
him inside at night, as this is when most car accidents tend to happen,

due
to low visibility and cats being more rambunctious at night (hunting,

etc.).
I'm afraid there really isn't a way to train cats not to run after things

or
flee when chased, as I said before, so probably the best thing to do would
be to limit their access to the roadway as much as possible at the most
dangerous times (night time, rush hour, etc.).

I will pass this on to my neighbours, hopefully they will understand and do
it, cos they never had to so far. Most of their cats moved themselves in,
and were mostly local strays she was feeding, so already streetwise and
eager for home, rather then great outdoors.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/cat-worldenclosures.htm
http://www.just4cats.com/index.html
http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/backyard.html

Fab links, I'd love to build soemthing like that. I bookmarked them as well,
thanks. The only problem is that we both have communal gardens so we will
not be able to do it :~(

I dearly hope Sparky lives a long, happy and healthy life.

Thank you, I certanly hope that too. I think the reason he is still with me,
is partly cos I am scared to let him go as I grew to love him so much. But I
know I have to eventually cos my neighbours are growing a bit intollerant of
my excuses I just wanna do what I can.

Gee

M9

Old April 29th 04, 03:09 PM
Gee

"Tree Line" wrote in message

The latest word in cat "training" appears to be clicker training. A

clicker is only $2 USD and easy to operate. That and some food and you are
on your way. It's also good
for entertaining a cat and perhaps, and this is extremely important,
giving the cat something else to do, namely learning tricks, like enjoying

a harness.

These are great ideas and I will certainly explore that site, and see what I
can do.

Oh BTW, Sparkie is already used to the harness and leash, he is completely
happy with it, although of course he'd want to go further then leash gives
him, and I have 6 meter dog leashes It was so funny, when I put it on him
first time, he just lie down and didn;t dare move. If it wasn;t for his
curiousity and watching other 4 on a leash, he may have still be just
sitting around

Thanks again
Gee