Follow-up question about canned cat food

Old July 29th 03, 05:07 PM
Edward

"GAUBSTER2" wrote:
So the Science Diet Oral Care doesn't provide dental benefit, even
though it's made by Hills?

Yes, Oral Care is clinically proven to clean teeth and freshen breath (it

is
similiar in concept to t/d although Oral Care isn't effective for

periodontal
disease or gingivitis.)

Marketing claims that diets "clean teeth" or "freshen breath" appeal to
consumers, but they are a bit ambiguous from a scientific point of view when
one wishes to compare diets. References to "dental benefit", or lack
thereof, without specific mention of what that entails can be similarly
vague. Therefore, it is important to note that the VOHC Seal is granted
only to those diets shown to reduce plaque and calculus accumulation by a
certain amount over a standardized dry diet control. (Theoretically,
reduction of plaque and calculus accumulation should lead to reduction of
periodontitis and gingivitis, however, measurement of those conditions are
not in the VOHC protocol.)

Cats fed dry diets generally do have less plaque accumulation than those fed
wet food, however, there are currently only three feline diets with the VOHC
Seal: Hills T/D, Friskies Dental Diet, and Science Diet Oral Care. This
does not mean that dry diets without the Seal have no dental benefit; it
only means that they have not been shown to reduce plaque and calculus
accumulation by a certain amount over a standardized dry diet control.
Regardless, when primarily concerned about pets' teeth, it almost always
makes much more sense to follow a proper home care regimen and see a
veterinarian for regular oral health evaluations and periodontal treatments.

Edward

Old July 30th 03, 10:34 AM
Phil P.

"MGW" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:57:54 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

There are only two feline dental diets that actually provide some

dental
benefit -

Which are they?

Friskies Dental Diet Feline and Hills t/d.

So the Science Diet Oral Care doesn't provide dental benefit, even
though it's made by Hills?

Oops - I forgot about Oral Care.

I'm not a proponent of dental diets - I don't think the risks offset the
"benefits". Dental diets are higher in fiber - which reduces the energy
density of the diet by displacing protein, fat, and soluble carbohydrate -
which means the cat must eat more food to meet her energy needs and in doing
so, takes in more phosphorus and magnesium. Also, the cat must be a hefty
drinker and remain well hydrated to avoid impaction of the fiber in the
colon and also to keep urine volume high to reduce the concentration of
potentially calculogenic solutes in the urine.

It takes about 10 seconds to swab a cat's teeth with a Q Tip or a gauze
sponge dipped in normal saline and wrapped around a finger . IMO, dental
diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick (because people want them).
Next time you're in a pet store, see how many cat chew toys you see...

Phil.

Old August 4th 03, 03:23 AM
Phil P.

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message
IMO, dental
diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick (because people want

them).

SO you're saying that the Hill's diets DO NOT work?

No. I said "IMO, dental diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick",
didn't I? That's not the same as saying "Hill's diets DO NOT work", now.is
it? I think its more marketing than benefit.

The dental benefit of *any* dental diet for cats is minimal - much less than
dogs and not worth the trade off. Cats fed dental diets still have plaque
and calculus accumulations and periodontal disease and need professional
cleanings...

Because there is plenty of
clinical evidence that would contradict your opinion.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I know all about the clinical studies... A lot of things
"work" - but at what expense to other areas of the body... Like I said, I
don't think the minimal dental benefit is worth the trade off - See my

The worst thing about dental diets is they give owners a false sense of
security - and make them feel that regular oral care isn't necessary. OTOH,
a dental diet is probably the only dental "care" some cats will ever get....

Old August 4th 03, 01:07 PM
Magdalena

"I dont bealive in can food"

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message
IMO, dental
diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick (because people want

them).

SO you're saying that the Hill's diets DO NOT work? Because there is

Old August 6th 03, 12:36 AM
GAUBSTER2

IMO, dental
diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick

SO you're saying that the Hill's diets DO NOT work?

No. I said "IMO, dental diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick",
didn't I? That's not the same as saying "Hill's diets DO NOT work", now.is
it?

Don't get yourself into such a snit! I was just asking for some clarification.

The dental benefit of *any* dental diet for cats is minimal - much less than
dogs and not worth the trade off.

Not all "dental diets" are created equally. As for the trade off...what are
you suggesting?

All I'm concerned with, is whether or not the food does what it claims. I've
found the Hill's diets do exactly that. I've come across quite a few Hill's
bashers on boards such as these; that's why I was asking.

Because there is plenty of
clinical evidence that would contradict your opinion.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I know all about the clinical studies... A lot of things
"work" - but at what expense to other areas of the body... Like I said, I
don't think the minimal dental benefit is worth the trade off

....so you have a problem w/ the Hill's dental diets?

Old August 6th 03, 01:35 AM
Cheryl

In ,
GAUBSTER2 composed with style:

The dental benefit of *any* dental diet for cats is minimal - much
less than dogs and not worth the trade off.

Not all "dental diets" are created equally. As for the trade
off...what are you suggesting?

The trade off being not getting a proper dental done at the vet, or at
the least not substituting a dental diet for brushing the cats
teeth... ?

I've never had to have a dental done for my cats -- my 2 year old will
be the first. At regular vet visits when they look at the teeth it
has never been suggested that tartar or any other problem is present
and needs to be addressed. Now with a 2 year old, they say he has
gingavitis. Go figure.