Dirty cat ear, seen two different vets, need advice.

Old August 2nd 03, 07:27 PM
Kristina

Default Dirty cat ear, seen two different vets, need advice.

Hello everyone.
My poor kitty has had a very dirty ear for the past few months. Brown
specs are all over the inside and outside of her ear. She even has it
on her forehead if you look through her hair. I have two other cats
that play with her and are in perfect health. It doesn't appear to
hurt her when I touch it.
At first I thought her ear was just dirty. So I gently cleaned them
with an ear cleaner. It made her ear red and I felt horrible.
I took her to the vet and they looked at the stuff in her ear under a
microscope. He didn't see any mites but gave her a shot for it anyway.
He told me to clean her ears again and it should clear up. Well, it
didn't.
I took her to another vet, who examined her ear, doublechecked it
still was not ear mites, checked with a blacklight type instrument to
make sure it was not a fungus infection, and then told me it is
probaby acne. She was prescibed Doxxcylcine (1/4 tablet) for 16 days.
Well, we're approaching the last days of meds and her ear is still
nasty.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what this may be and what the
treatment is. I'm going to be going back to the vet very soon because
I just want her ear to be well but I would really appreciate some
advice.
Thanks and sorry this was so long.
Old August 2nd 03, 11:29 PM

A yeast infection is a possibility and exhibits the symptoms you
describe. I'm surprised neither vet mentioned this.
http://www.21cats.org/health/earinfection.html

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 3rd 03, 02:24 AM
Liz

Fungus and yeast are the same thing yet I agree with you - it's
probably some yeast. I wonder if all yeasts shine or whatever under a
black light. Anyway I'll see if I find something.
Old August 3rd 03, 02:24 AM
Liz

Old August 3rd 03, 04:22 AM
soft

Miss Thangs ears have been consitantly dirty since we adopted her.
We've checked her several times throught the vet and she finds no
cause. Her best guess is that because of the herpes viruse the cats
have and Miss Thang has always got a stuffy nose and still has
sneezing fits wtih bubbles - any way they think that it is related to
all that. They don't bother her - we just have to clean her ears
often.
Karryl

Old August 3rd 03, 06:50 PM
Elizabeth Blake

"Kristina" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone.
My poor kitty has had a very dirty ear for the past few months. Brown
specs are all over the inside and outside of her ear. She even has it
on her forehead if you look through her hair. I have two other cats
that play with her and are in perfect health. It doesn't appear to
hurt her when I touch it.

My 13 year old cat, Tiger, has had skanky ears for years. She's been to
three different vets who never did anything for it other than a deep
cleaning, but the stuff always came back. A couple of months ago I told
Tiger's current vet that I wanted to do another deep cleaning and I wanted
the stuff tested to see what it is. Tiger was scratching at her ears
*constantly*. They were bloody, she had scabs all over her head and she
couldn't leave them alone. The tests came back saying that the stuff had
some bacteria in in (staph-something-negative, don't remember the whole
name). The vet prescribed a liquidy ointment called Animax. I have to
bring Tiger back for a follow up, but so far her ears have remained clear
for two months and she doesn't spend EVERY waking minute scratching her
ears. It's so nice to see, because I know she's been feeling miserable for
a long time. I can even pet her head gently now without her shaking it and
immediately turning to scratch her ears.

Liz

p.s. the stuff in Tiger's ears was more than brown specks, though. The ears
were full of a thick, brown waxy substance.

Old August 4th 03, 02:41 AM
Liz

I'd like to see what you find. I keep seeing a distinct connection
between yeast and IBD... something about the gut flora (Candida?).
My IBD cat also gets goopy ears and had to have some polyps removed
last year. He does the headshake a lot and I clean his ears a little
at a time (all he allows me to do). Vet finished up the job last
month. It's a black goop and I haven't noticed a smell but I see him
pull goopy stuff from his ears when he scratches deep and I know it's
time to clean.

That's right, the list that I got mentions both candida and polyps as
possible causes. Yeasts (fungus/mycosis)are a good thermometer of the
immune status of the animal (or person). If the animal acquires a
yeast infection/mycosis, s/he's very likely debilitated. The kittens
that I trapped all had ringworm, possibly rhinotracheitis (a lot of
discharge from eyes&nose and a lot of sneezing), and all of them were
very tiny and underweight. It only took putting some good food inside
of them for all the conditions to disappear. Bacterial infections and
viral infections are also indicators of immune status but to a lesser
extent. Some bacteria and some viruses are too virulent so even if
one's immune system is in perfect health, they will become sick if
infected. A cat with IBD is definitively very debilitated not only
because his immune system is too concentrated in his gut but also
because he does not absorb nutrients as he should. So yes, you can
very often expect yeast infection with IBD.

Two things that are wonderful to regulate and strengthen the immune
system: high quality protein (preferably raw) and the B vitamins. If
you do not want to give raw since you used steroids for so long, get
some brewer's yeast tablets and give it to him daily - something like
five tablets in the morning and five at night. These tablets are rich
in B vitamins and high quality proteins. You might not have to force
it into him. All my cats with no exception go crazy when they see (or
hear) me openning the drawer to get their tablets. They just LOVE it.
BTW, if your cat loves it too, you can buy the powder form and mix it
with canned food as a flavorer. I remember you said canned Wellness
worked for him. Did he get sick of it?