Dirty cat ear, seen two different vets, need advice.

Old August 4th 03, 02:41 AM
Liz

I'd like to see what you find. I keep seeing a distinct connection
between yeast and IBD... something about the gut flora (Candida?).
My IBD cat also gets goopy ears and had to have some polyps removed
last year. He does the headshake a lot and I clean his ears a little
at a time (all he allows me to do). Vet finished up the job last
month. It's a black goop and I haven't noticed a smell but I see him
pull goopy stuff from his ears when he scratches deep and I know it's
time to clean.

That's right, the list that I got mentions both candida and polyps as
possible causes. Yeasts (fungus/mycosis)are a good thermometer of the
immune status of the animal (or person). If the animal acquires a
yeast infection/mycosis, s/he's very likely debilitated. The kittens
that I trapped all had ringworm, possibly rhinotracheitis (a lot of
discharge from eyes&nose and a lot of sneezing), and all of them were
very tiny and underweight. It only took putting some good food inside
of them for all the conditions to disappear. Bacterial infections and
viral infections are also indicators of immune status but to a lesser
extent. Some bacteria and some viruses are too virulent so even if
one's immune system is in perfect health, they will become sick if
infected. A cat with IBD is definitively very debilitated not only
because his immune system is too concentrated in his gut but also
because he does not absorb nutrients as he should. So yes, you can
very often expect yeast infection with IBD.

Two things that are wonderful to regulate and strengthen the immune
system: high quality protein (preferably raw) and the B vitamins. If
you do not want to give raw since you used steroids for so long, get
some brewer's yeast tablets and give it to him daily - something like
five tablets in the morning and five at night. These tablets are rich
in B vitamins and high quality proteins. You might not have to force
it into him. All my cats with no exception go crazy when they see (or
hear) me openning the drawer to get their tablets. They just LOVE it.
BTW, if your cat loves it too, you can buy the powder form and mix it
with canned food as a flavorer. I remember you said canned Wellness
worked for him. Did he get sick of it?
Old August 5th 03, 04:33 AM
Liz

Thanks L.
Old August 5th 03, 04:33 AM
Liz

Thanks L.
Old August 7th 03, 05:40 AM
Liz

Do any of your books mention coconut oil?

I did a search in PubMed and found only one paper analyzing effect of
coconut oil on immune system. In it, coconut oil does not improve
immune system. Here's a summary:

Effects of replacement of native fat in colostrum and milk with
coconut oil on fat-soluble vitamins in serum and immune function in
calves.

Rajaraman V, Nonnecke BJ, Horst RL.

USDA, ARS, National Animal Disease Center, Metabolic Diseases and
Immunology Research Unit, Ames, IA 50010-0070, USA.

Fat-soluble vitamins and their metabolites modulate immune function in
a variety of animal species. The objective of the present study was to
determine the role of fat-soluble vitamins in colostrum and milk in
the development of specific aspects of immune function in the calf
during the 1st wk postpartum. During this period, control calves (n =
6) were fed normal colostrum and milk, and calves in the treatment
group (n = 6) were fed skimmed colostrum and skimmed milk supplemented
with coconut oil. Treated calves did not experience the progressive
increase in concentrations of retinol, beta-carotene,
alpha-tocopherol, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, or retinoic acids in serum
that was observed in control calves. Acquisition of passive immunity,
which is indicated by concentrations of immunoglobulin G1 in serum,
was unaffected by treatment. Composition and functional capacities of
populations of blood mononuclear leukocytes that were collected from
birth to 7 d postpartum were also unaffected by treatment. Major
changes in the function and composition of mononuclear leukocyte
populations from all calves occurred during the experimental period
and were unrelated to the concentrations of fat-soluble vitamins in
serum. Populations of blood mononuclear leukocytes from calves were
functionally hyporesponsive and compositionally different from
populations of blood mononuclear leukocytes from adult nongravid cows.
These differences likely reflected the immaturity of the immune system
of the neonatal calf and may contribute to the increased
susceptibility of the calf to infectious disease.

Old August 7th 03, 09:11 PM
clpeters23

One of my cats had a chronic icky ear, no mites, just dirty. A couple
vets also had no idea what it was but it didn't clear up until he was
put on Clavamox after a tooth extraction. I mentioned this to the vet
and she seemed surprised. A few years later the same cat started
developing gunk in the other ear and I tried a mixture of water,
vinegar and rubbing alcohol which is supposed to work on yeast and it
cleared up right away.
Good luck!
Cathy

(Kristina) wrote in message . com...
Hello everyone.
My poor kitty has had a very dirty ear for the past few months. Brown
specs are all over the inside and outside of her ear. She even has it
on her forehead if you look through her hair. I have two other cats
that play with her and are in perfect health. It doesn't appear to
hurt her when I touch it.
At first I thought her ear was just dirty. So I gently cleaned them
with an ear cleaner. It made her ear red and I felt horrible.
I took her to the vet and they looked at the stuff in her ear under a
microscope. He didn't see any mites but gave her a shot for it anyway.
He told me to clean her ears again and it should clear up. Well, it
didn't.
I took her to another vet, who examined her ear, doublechecked it
still was not ear mites, checked with a blacklight type instrument to
make sure it was not a fungus infection, and then told me it is
probaby acne. She was prescibed Doxxcylcine (1/4 tablet) for 16 days.
Well, we're approaching the last days of meds and her ear is still
nasty.
I was wondering if anyone has an idea of what this may be and what the
treatment is. I'm going to be going back to the vet very soon because
I just want her ear to be well but I would really appreciate some
advice.
Thanks and sorry this was so long.

Old August 8th 03, 01:33 AM
Cheryl

In om,
Liz composed with style:
Do any of your books mention coconut oil?

I did a search in PubMed and found only one paper analyzing effect
of coconut oil on immune system. In it, coconut oil does not improve
immune system. Here's a summary:

Thanks Liz. What I read sounded like bunk and I never found anything
that proved what a couple of websites said about coconut oil so I was
skeptical. I guess the fact that it was a couple of different
internet domains saying pretty much the same thing put up red flags to
me; I never did a whois on the domains but I'll bet they're run by the
same people.

Giving the vitamin Bs now...