is this normal?

Old February 26th 04, 04:49 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"jamie" wrote in message

I've been online since '82. Usenet newsgroups started, I think in '79
(without looking it up).

I thought that wasn't Usenet, specifically, but something else that
eventually evolved into Usenet. FidoNet or is that something else?

My brother was on-line fairly early on, when there were primarily BBSs. I
remember when he first got his modem, the closest ISP available was in North
Dakota or Minnesota. Our long distance bills were *huge* and he got into a
lot of trouble with my parents. He was always a techie geek!

rona (I did wait two days before another OT post!)

Old February 26th 04, 09:59 PM
frlpwr

Phil P. wrote:

(snip)
I had a woman return a cat after almost a year because she
wanted a cat with darker fur so it wouldn't show on her new dark
fabric furniture!

We had a cat returned last week after a year and a half because, get
this, the cat unrolled a roll of toilet paper.

Needless to say, after she signed the surrender document, she left
empty handed and in a rage. She was so ****ed I didn't give her
another cat she told me to shove the refund check up my ass!

Why would you refund her money after almost a year?

Here, local rescues share a "blacklist" of adopters who have returned
cats or had adopted cats die or disappear under mysterious
circumstances.

(snip)

Old February 27th 04, 07:09 PM
jamie

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
"jamie" wrote in message

I've been online since '82. Usenet newsgroups started, I think in '79
(without looking it up).

I thought that wasn't Usenet, specifically, but something else that
eventually evolved into Usenet. FidoNet or is that something else?

Usenet and BBSes started separately about the same time. FidoNet, as
I recall, was the first application of UUCP to a PC BBS net, adding PC
access to Usenet, in roughly 1988 or so.

Before that, Usenet was mostly university UNIX accounts around the world,
government agencies and companies with government contracts, scientific
corporations, and a number of public access UNIX dialup account providers.

1986, reading Usenet posts from people in areas downwind of Chernobyl
within days of the accident, is one of my early memories of the impact
of Usenet on worldwide communication.

--
jamie )

"There's a seeker born every minute."