Cat Urinating Around Apartment

Old April 22nd 04, 12:44 AM
Shrubman

Default Cat Urinating Around Apartment

Hi all:

I know this subject has been covered in many threads. Therefore, I
wont discuss here why this one year old is doing this or how to change
her habit.

What I do need to ask about involves cleanup. I live in a small one
bedroom apartment and it is starting to smell of cat urine -- not nice
for me or my security deposit when I move out in August. This cat, one
of two sisters, has peed in unknown locations, mostly in corners,
against walls and behind furniture -- all on carpet.

Since I don't know the exact location of her spots, what's the best
way to clean the place. Does a "rug doctor" work well? I don't want to
aggravate the problem...

Old April 22nd 04, 02:12 AM
Cheryl

"Lotte" nomail@ourhouse dumped this in
on 21 Apr 2004:

Replace the carpet. Really.

I think it depends on how long you have rented. I rented an apt for
nearly 5 years before I bought my house, and was completely sure I
wouldn't get my deposit back (it was supposed to be a non-refundable pet
deposit!). When I moved out, I went back and spent a day trying to clean
the carpets, but the spot outside my old bedroom door was hosed due to
keeping the door shut when I went through an allergy bout - it was clawed
beyond repair. Weeks after I moved out, I received a check in the mail
along with a nice note from the management wishing me luck in my new
home. I think most apt. management companies realize that within certain
years there is going to be wear and tear regardless of where it came
from. I know they had to replace all of the carpet in that apt.

--
Cheryl

Old April 22nd 04, 03:00 AM
Sherry

Replace the carpet. Really.

I wouldn't do that. First I'd rent a Rug Doctor and use Nature's Miracle in it.
Get a stinkfinder light so you can find the exact location of the urine and
double-dose that spot. Don't use detergent until you've used the Nature's
Miracle and gotten rid of the odor first. Then go back over it with the rug
shampoo. Be sure to follow the directios on the NM-keeping it moist for 8 hours
is how the stuff works. (I've mentioned Nature's Miracle by name simply because
it's the one I use. But any enzyme cleaner will do the job. If you want to
spend the money, you can hire a professional carpet cleaner--they have products
for pet urine. It cost me $129.00. Just depends on how much you want to spend.
But I think you can get the odor out. Good luck.

Sherry

Old April 22nd 04, 08:13 AM
-L. :

(Shrubman) wrote in message . com...
Hi all:

I know this subject has been covered in many threads. Therefore, I
wont discuss here why this one year old is doing this or how to change
her habit.

What I do need to ask about involves cleanup. I live in a small one
bedroom apartment and it is starting to smell of cat urine -- not nice
for me or my security deposit when I move out in August. This cat, one
of two sisters, has peed in unknown locations, mostly in corners,
against walls and behind furniture -- all on carpet.

Since I don't know the exact location of her spots, what's the best
way to clean the place. Does a "rug doctor" work well? I don't want to
aggravate the problem...

I have 7 pets - dogs, cats and reptiles so I am the Stink Killing
Master.

I recommend ODOKLEEN cleaner to remove any vomit, urine or feces (it
requires lots of rinsing, though - a wet vac works wonders for this),
and then treating the area with ODOKILL or NODOR to remove the odor.
I have yet to find an odor which is not removed using NODOR. ODOKLEEN
and ODOKILL are available through pet supply stores. NODOR is made by
Nu-Scents in Knoxville, TN, USA. They are a very small company and do
not ship outside of NA. Their product can be ordered in the US by
credit card by calling 1*(800)*262*9366. They ship via UPS. They are
very nice people. NODOR will kill male cat spray smell.

You may have to remove the carpet and replace it as well as the pad,
if the damage is bad enough, though. It is worth trying what I
recommended, first.

I do not recommend the enzyme-based cleaners, like Nature's Miracle.
They just don't work as well as those I mentioned above.

HTH,
-L.