(OT) More Tornados....

Old April 7th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default (OT) More Tornados....

zaax wrote:
Set the basement up so you can sleep in it during a Tornado watch

If you're replying to me, I don't have a basement. The OP's basement is (I
gather) only accessible from the outside or something like that.

Old April 7th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
I hate it when I have to stay awake till the watch is over. This one's on
until 1:00 AM. The sirens in this town are not loud enough to wake me. I
need to get a NOAA weather radio that can be set to sound alarm when a
tornado warning is issued. Also need to cut a trap door in the floor so I
can get to the basement from inside the house, and move the cats down there
as well. It's simply too damp to sleep down there.

Tornado safety purrs once again are hereby solicited. Bad lightning storm in
progress at the moment.

Pat, how difficult would it be to fix up your basement so that it would
be suitable to put a bed down there?
When I was in my 20's, we lived in a small mobile home. I became
practically phobic about storms for some reason, for a time. Anyway, we
put a bed in the cellar and I used to just sleep down there if it was
stormy. It was damp like all cellars here are, but very clean, bug-free
and had electricity. It saved my sanity back then, and really wasn't
any worse than "camping".
I think with time, you'll feel more secure in your house. But I
remember how scary it was.

Sherry

Old April 7th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
Pat wrote:
[...]

I think Pat's got so many things to do in her new house, with vey limited
funds, it must be very difficult to decide what is a priority.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 7th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Steve Touchstone wrote:

We had lots of thunder and lightning yesterday about sunup. I learned
that I now have two that are afraid of lightning. When the storm
started I knew Sammy would be scared, so I went and got in bed where
she was hiding under the covers. I've written about her fear before.
I'm not so sure she's really afraid anymore, as soon I get in bed she
starts to purr. After awhile I realised Spotty hadn't followed me to
bed. Usually she hops up on the bed right after I get in bed and
settles down and goes to sleep. So I went looking for her and found
her hiding in the bathtub from the storm. When she realised I had
found her hiding plce she came out and followed me to bed, but at the
next thunderboom she went back to the tub - not a bad thing really, as
they tell us that one of the safer places to take shelter. Little Bit,
who panics if it starts to rain when she's in the OUT, doesn't mind
storms in the least when she's safely inside watching through the
window. She seems to enjoy watching the light show, though she will go
into hiding if it starts to hail.
--
Steve Touchstone

That was the loudest thunder I have ever heard. Bosley jumped up on the
bed and got so close he was practically on top of me. I didn't know he
was scared of thunder!

Sherry

Old April 7th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
[...]

Well, the cellars around here are NOT damp, and today the blessed,
long-awaited rain is falling, bigtime, along w/a strong wind. It's all
relative, I tell you. It hasn't rained here in so long a time that when
I mentioned to my son that I didn't understand why the natives tear
around driving @ top speed in terrible winter snowstorms, never slow
down, and "life goes on"....*but* when it was sprinkling (not really
heavy rain, like today) I was crawling along @ 20 mph on a major
artery along w/aforementioned natives, his theory was that it's been
so long since they've seen real rain, they forgot how to drive in it
and were therefore creeping behind their wheels! Maybe there's
merit to that thought......anyway, this oughta help w/the brushfires.

Old April 7th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote

Pat, how difficult would it be to fix up your basement so that it would
be suitable to put a bed down there?

I've already got a bedroll down there - foam pad, sleeping bag, pillow,
laying on plastic sheet on concrete floor, but I don't wanna be safe down
there without the cats being safe down there as well. To get them down there
requires numerous trips with carriers and the risk of some slipping out as
others are brought in. That hole in the floor's high on my to-do list and
won't be a major expense, just a few pieces of lumber.

Old April 7th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

dnr wrote:
Well, the cellars around here are NOT damp, and today the blessed,
long-awaited rain is falling, bigtime, along w/a strong wind. It's all
relative, I tell you. It hasn't rained here in so long a time that when
I mentioned to my son that I didn't understand why the natives tear
around driving @ top speed in terrible winter snowstorms, never slow
down, and "life goes on"....*but* when it was sprinkling (not really
heavy rain, like today) I was crawling along @ 20 mph on a major
artery along w/aforementioned natives, his theory was that it's been
so long since they've seen real rain, they forgot how to drive in it
and were therefore creeping behind their wheels! Maybe there's
merit to that thought......anyway, this oughta help w/the brushfires.

Imagine what it would be like if Florida suddenly got a half-foot of
snow. That's what it's like here when it snows -- we don't know how to
drive in it, and the state doesn't own enough snowplows to get the
stuff off the road.
I know what you mean about driving in the rain though--when it
*finally* started raining this spring, there were accidents all over
the place. Like people forgot how to drive in it. (Also, they say the
first rain after a drought makes the road slick--all the oils come to
the top or something).
They finally (partially) lifted the burn ban. We can barbecue now, as
long as it's in an enclosed grill.
Sherry

Old April 7th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Imagine what it would be like if Florida suddenly got a half-foot of
snow. That's what it's like here when it snows -- we don't know how to
drive in it, and the state doesn't own enough snowplows to get the
stuff off the road.
I know what you mean about driving in the rain though--when it
*finally* started raining this spring, there were accidents all over
the place. Like people forgot how to drive in it. (Also, they say the
first rain after a drought makes the road slick--all the oils come to
the top or something).
They finally (partially) lifted the burn ban. We can barbecue now, as
long as it's in an enclosed grill.
Sherry

My brother, who lives/drives/works in D.C. area, including adjacent
norther VA, told me - when I related to him the early am (5:30) sighting
out my window my first winter here of 54 snowplow trucks rumbling
their way up to I-70 during the first snowstorm of winter (big thrill
for me) - that road authorities in his area, as you say, are woefully
short on equipment like that for heavy-duty weather happenings and
they have more bad stuff there we usually don't - like "freezing rain"
"sleet" and lotsa hail (it's hailed here a few times so far) but drivers
just have to do the best they can, whatever. I don't understand
that at all; that area is much more heavily populated than this one
and yet here the roads are cleared quickly, pretty much except up in the
mountains (where all the roadblocks/bottlenecks happen) and
the DOT seems to have pretty much all they need to do so.

Old April 7th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yesterday tornados. Today there are blizzards in parts of the state. I do
think it means lots of rain this spring (i hope)

Old April 7th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Weather Rant, Was: (OT) More Tornados....

Karen wrote:
Yesterday tornados. Today there are blizzards in parts of the state. I do
think it means lots of rain this spring (i hope)

Arrgghh!! I left a beautiful, calm spring day this morning to go to the
shelter and take some pictures for the newsletter. So I left the
windows open. Before I got back, the wind was blowing westerly 30 mph,
gusts up to 50. There are a lot of plowed fields and the sky turned
pink. When I got home, there is a thick layer of red dirt on
*everything*. Even the bed. I had a white towel in the bathroom floor
and it is even pink now!
What a mess. The big sucky monster is going to be running for a long
time. The cats will hate that.

Sherry

Tornados all around Pat Cat anecdotes 10 November 16th 05 05:58 AM
OT Iowa tornados? Karen Cat anecdotes 3 November 14th 05 08:41 AM
Colorado Experience OT Bev Cat anecdotes 15 April 11th 05 03:14 AM