Why does catnip/catmint affect cats?

Old April 8th 05, 08:26 PM
sarah

Default Why does catnip/catmint affect cats?

Every cat I've had has reacted to it in some way. Why DO cats like it so
much?

sarah

Old April 8th 05, 09:30 PM
Steve G

kaeli wrote:
(...)
It's a chemical IN the catnip. Kind of like marijuana, but without

dead brain
cells.

Nepetalactone. Don't think the mechanism of action is known? Sounds
like there's a review in Tucker^2 (1988; Econonomic Botany 42: 214-),
but I've not got the article.

S.

Old April 8th 05, 10:12 PM
Priscilla Ballou

In article 1112991246.8759af36f3688d56fd0c66384ace7bc2@teran ews,
"Brandy*Alexandre" wrote:

sarah wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

Every cat I've had has reacted to it in some way. Why DO cats like
it so much?

Kami could care less. I've heard Siamese are immune.

I've heard that it affects males more than females (which is born out by
my first three), and that it usually doesn't affect a cat under 1 year
of age.

Priscilla
--
"You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal
Old April 8th 05, 11:07 PM
faielyne

On 8 Apr 2005 13:30:23 -0700, "Steve G"
wrote:

Nepetalactone. Don't think the mechanism of action is known? Sounds
like there's a review in Tucker^2 (1988; Econonomic Botany 42: 214-),
but I've not got the article.

S.

Any chance this is found in green olives? I know that sounds weird,
but my oldest loves green olive juice. He goes nuts over it like it
is catnip. So I was curious if there was any similar substance in the
two.

Rhiannon
Old April 8th 05, 11:12 PM
Mary

wrote:

Nepetalactone. Don't think the mechanism of action is known? Sounds
like there's a review in Tucker^2 (1988; Econonomic Botany 42: 214-),
but I've not got the article.

S.

Any chance this is found in green olives? I know that sounds weird,
but my oldest loves green olive juice. He goes nuts over it like it
is catnip. So I was curious if there was any similar substance in the
two.

Rhiannon

Hmm, I wonder if your cat is craving salt for some reason?

Old April 8th 05, 11:21 PM
Steve G

faielyne wrote:
On 8 Apr 2005 13:30:23 -0700, "Steve G"
wrote:

Nepetalactone.

(...)

Any chance this is found in green olives?

Sure, if the olives have been soaked in catnip tea...

AFAIK, it's only members of the Nepeta (Catmint) family that contain
nepetalactone, and indeed only a limited number of 'em contain much.

I know that sounds weird, but my oldest loves green olive juice.

Could be the salt? Or maybe aromatics and / or residual fat in the
juice?

S.

Old April 8th 05, 11:56 PM
CatNipped

wrote:

Nepetalactone. Don't think the mechanism of action is known? Sounds
like there's a review in Tucker^2 (1988; Econonomic Botany 42: 214-),
but I've not got the article.

S.

Any chance this is found in green olives? I know that sounds weird,
but my oldest loves green olive juice. He goes nuts over it like it
is catnip. So I was curious if there was any similar substance in the
two.

Rhiannon

Mine go crazy over the smell of Valerian (sp?). It's in the herbal sleep
aid I take every night (Alluna) and mine will rub themselves all over the
little tinfoil and plastic tablet holders just like they do catnip.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 9th 05, 02:24 AM
Spot

LOL..........my fiancee refers to catnip as Kitty Crack! I have 3 cats they
all love it but the one has a bawling fit if he doesn't get catnip every
couple of days.

Celeste

"kaeli" wrote in message
In article ,

enlightened us with...
Every cat I've had has reacted to it in some way. Why DO cats like it so
much?

Not ALL cats are affected by it -- it's a genetic trait.
It's a chemical IN the catnip. Kind of like marijuana, but without dead

brain
cells.

See
http://www.catniptoys.com/nip_faq.htm

~kaeli~
When you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/wildAtHeart
http://www.ipwebdesign.net/kaelisSpace

Old April 9th 05, 02:24 AM
Spot

I had a cat Meowzer who would go nuts for olives also. I often would slice
one up and give him as a treat. Getting the olive jar out was one sure way
to catch the little brat when he slipped outside and wasn't supposed to be.
I'd just toss a few olives on the ground and sprinkle some juice and he's
come running then I could scoop him up.

Celeste