Cali'sl licking habit

Old May 7th 05, 09:25 PM
ElvisRocks

Default Cali'sl licking habit

Hi- My sweet little Calico, Cali is getting along better with Randi, etc.
but she has the WEIRDEST habit!! She has slept with me every night since I
adopted her about a month ago, but she lays on my pillow around my head and
licks my hair!!! Like ALOT! I keep pushing her away because even though I
wash my hair every day, I use gel & hairspray & other gook (my hair is
short and I wear it kind punked out alot) - I'm thinking what does she like
about it and how is it going to harm her? But I can't stay awake ALL night
to keep stopping her - yesterday morning when I woke up the whole top of my
head was damp!!! She's a NUT! Otherwise quite normal, sweet, purrs
nonstop (especially on my pillow), eats & drinks normally. Any ideas?
Thanks, Carol

Old May 7th 05, 09:28 PM
bigbadbarry

ElvisRocks wrote:
[...]

put wool stocking hat on.

Old May 7th 05, 09:33 PM
Philip

ElvisRocks wrote:
Hi- My sweet little Calico, Cali is getting along better with Randi,
etc. but she has the WEIRDEST habit!! She has slept with me every
night since I adopted her about a month ago, but she lays on my
pillow around my head and licks my hair!!! Like ALOT! I keep
pushing her away because even though I wash my hair every day, I use
gel & hairspray & other gook (my hair is short and I wear it kind
punked out alot) - I'm thinking what does she like about it and how
is it going to harm her? But I can't stay awake ALL night to keep
stopping her - yesterday morning when I woke up the whole top of my
head was damp!!! She's a NUT! Otherwise quite normal, sweet, purrs
nonstop (especially on my pillow), eats & drinks normally. Any
ideas? Thanks, Carol

So ... wash the cat with your shampoo and do the bit with the gel and some
hair spray. She'll take up licking herself or quit licking you. LOL Had
Siamese years ago that liked/licked my balding head whenever I used Dr.
Bronners peppermint soap. After washing him a few times with Dr. Bronners,
the novelty wore off.

Old May 8th 05, 02:27 AM
blueberries79

"ElvisRocks" wrote in message
[...]

LOL, Oreo does that! My hair is so long she doesnt do it very often anymore
(gets all caught up in her mouth), or she makes sure she gets my hairline
right by my forhead, but my poor husband who has a military hair cut often
gets quite a bath. We've noticed as she has gotten older she has grown out
of it... just a few licks and she is done. We figure its her way of showing
her love and 'grooming' us like she does to Gabe once in a while.

Old May 8th 05, 07:07 PM
Fritti Fritti is offline
Member

Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via Yahoo to Fritti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisRocks
Hi- My sweet little Calico, Cali is getting along better with Randi, etc.
but she has the WEIRDEST habit!! She has slept with me every night since I
adopted her about a month ago, but she lays on my pillow around my head and
licks my hair!!! Like ALOT! I keep pushing her away because even though I
wash my hair every day, I use gel & hairspray & other gook (my hair is
short and I wear it kind punked out alot) - I'm thinking what does she like
about it and how is it going to harm her? But I can't stay awake ALL night
to keep stopping her - yesterday morning when I woke up the whole top of my
head was damp!!! She's a NUT! Otherwise quite normal, sweet, purrs
nonstop (especially on my pillow), eats & drinks normally. Any ideas?
Thanks, Carol
My Venus does that too! She even licks and nibbles my moustache. It's her way to show she loves me, but her other way to show how much she likes to share her feelings and everything else with me is sneezing in my face during the licking. She might see you as a surrogate mother since you adopted her, or she might just very much like you for that. Another explanation could be that she either likes the scent/taste of any of the products you use in your hair, or she doesn't like them at all and tries to wash them out, getting you to smell like yourself again. My Venus does -that- too. After I wash my hair, she starts on a very thorough wash of my head to get me smelling like she's used to me smelling again. However, seeing as that you also use hairspray and gel, you should try to find a way to stop her doing it. The hairspray especially could be very bad for your Cali. I'd say, ask some advice from your vet, and take the gel and hairspray along to show him what it is Cali is licking out of your hair. Your vet should e able to tell you if, and how bad, it might be for Cali, and he might also have a solution for it. Good luck!