Bad Neighbors & Morganna Update

Old September 25th 04, 06:28 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

Default Bad Neighbors & Morganna Update

Last week, the one horrible neighbor was finally evicted. You would
think that would be the end of it, wouldn't you? But no, he had not
made plans (in spite of plenty of warning) for his "stuff", so he and
his buds hung around most of the time for several days, until it
rained and ruined anything that was left he hadn't managed to haul off
somewhere.

And then I hear a series of loud noises. By the time I go to
investigate, all I can see is guy talking to another guy a little way
down. Didn't think to look at the back door to the apartment next
door until I went out later that evening. And it was wide open.
Someone had busted the door in! The police couldn't find anyone in
there, and didn't seem all that interested in doing much about it, in
spite of me giving them the guy's name, where he hangs out, etc.

DH and I were really nervous, with that door open. We had one big
piece of plywood, so I sent DH over to secure the back door until the
landlord's guys could get there the following day. DH went over with
hammer, nails and the plywood, and got the job done. He came running,
literally, into the apartment, and threw himself into the bathtub.
What? He was *covered* with fleas. :-( He unfortunately managed to
drop a few on his way, apparently, as it was obvious within 48 hours
that our guys all had fleas. Grrrrrr. So it was a bus trip to the
vet yesterday, to get Advantage for eight cats. Luckily, this clinic
lets me buy the dog versions, gives me syringes, and lets me break it
down. Much cheaper that way. Merlyn is allergic, so she *really*
needed it. And of course, she's the one who acted like I was trying
to kill her when I put the stuff on the back of her neck. Go figure.
Arthur was unfortunately watching, so he did his best impression of a
wriggling worm while I tried to apply his. Managed to get it on,
although a bit off-center.

He and his buds haven't been around since they boarded up the back
door and hauled off the rest of the stuff. Hopefully, it stays that
way.

I have exchanged phone messages with the woman who has Morganna (now
Tallulah -- I like it, it fits her). She sounds nice, and intends on
keeping her inside, but I cannot get to talk to her about declawing
:-( I am going to send her my adoption contract (got it somewhere off
the 'Net and revised it to including a "no-declaw" section), along
with some info downloaded probably from zuzu's site (yes, really!
lol! Hey, good information, is good information!), and see what she
does with that. I hate to think of this little one being declawed,
but it is pretty much out of my hands in all ways at this point. The
woman was open to looking at the contract, though, so we shall see.
With luck, she won't even be cosidering declawing anyway, and all will
be well. Sounds like she really loves Morganna, she's getting along
with her two other cats, has lots of toys, good food, etc. And at
least she is out of that hellhole where she was.

Funny thing, in all this. The other day, I heard birds singing for
the first time this year. It shocked me for a moment. And I realized
that these people were so horrendous, so loud, that they actually
frightened the birds away! They're back now, and the crickets, too.
Blessed peace!

Ginger-lyn

Old September 25th 04, 06:52 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

Funny thing, in all this. The other day, I heard birds singing for
the first time this year. It shocked me for a moment. And I realized
that these people were so horrendous, so loud, that they actually
frightened the birds away! They're back now, and the crickets, too.
Blessed peace!

Ginger-lyn

I am so glad to hear that! It's wonderful that the nasty ones are gone,
and that nature is returning to a normal balance.

Old September 25th 04, 06:58 PM
MaryL

"Ginger-lyn Summer" wrote in message

[...]

Ginger-lyn,

I know this has been a very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful
situation for you. However, in the future, please (1) get the adoptive
"parent" to sign the adoption papers, including the declaw agreement,
*before* you release a cat into their care; and (2) have a serious
discussion about declaw and make sure that there will be no "afterthoughts"
about it -- again, *before* adoption (or fostering, if that could lead to
adoption).

MaryL

Old September 25th 04, 08:59 PM
Ginger-lyn Summer

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:58:01 -0500, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER wrote:

Ginger-lyn,

I know this has been a very difficult, time-consuming, and stressful
situation for you. However, in the future, please (1) get the adoptive
"parent" to sign the adoption papers, including the declaw agreement,
*before* you release a cat into their care; and (2) have a serious
discussion about declaw and make sure that there will be no "afterthoughts"
about it -- again, *before* adoption (or fostering, if that could lead to
adoption).

MaryL

I know, Mary, and I had the phone screen interview, the adoption
agreement, and everything ready to go. This is the first time I have
tried to place a cat privately, and it was a desperate situation at
the time to get her out of here and into somewhere else temporarily.
Unfortunately, the temporary person took matters into her own hands
before I could stop her :-( If I could have kept the kitten here, it
would have gone much more the way I had planned, but that wasn't an
option. Believe me, in the future, if anything like this ever arises
again, I won't let one go without making it clear that these steps
must be taken first, whether it's to a fosterer or a prospective
adoptive parent. It just didn't dawn on me at all that a fosterer
would ever be the type to promote declawing -- I have never heard/read
of such a thing. Every fosterer I have ever known or read about is
anti-declaw. Now I know better.

We'll see what she does when I send her the material. Any purrs would
be appreciated that she signs and agrees with the anti-declaw
statement.

Ginger-lyn
Exhausted