Cat keeps throwing up

Old November 15th 12, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps[_2_]

Default Cat keeps throwing up

The vet said I could try half a Benadryl, ever 6 hours but I can't get
the pill down his throat. He's already bitten me twice. I tried
crushing it and putting it in his food, but he won't fall for that
either. Entirely too wily a kitty if you ask me. So I'm again stuck.
Wish there were a liquid version of this with flavors cats like.

For now, I just have to keep him calm after he eats so he can digest
his food. It helps.

In article ,
wrote:

has the vet ruled out a food allergy

I can't afford allergy testing. Or x-rays, or a sonogram, or oher

testing. The doc gave him allergy shots. Didn't work. Now I'm thinking

it's just a post nasal drip and I need to find a decongestant.

AFAIK, there isn't allergy testing like people get. Usually vets try an
elimination diet of sorts, removing the most common allergens first--like
grains (especially corn and wheat). Or by trying a different kind of protein
source (like duck instead of chicken). In his case, it's certainly worth a
try.

The drugs I suggested are antihistimines only, not decongestants. I would
not use a human decongestant without consulting your vet first.

Old November 15th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chaniarts[_2_]

On 11/14/2012 9:16 PM, Clara Semps wrote:
The vet said I could try half a Benadryl, ever 6 hours but I can't get
the pill down his throat. He's already bitten me twice. I tried
crushing it and putting it in his food, but he won't fall for that
either. Entirely too wily a kitty if you ask me. So I'm again stuck.
Wish there were a liquid version of this with flavors cats like.

they make children's benadryl in liquid formula, but it's pretty sweet
and has a strong taste. you can also get it compounded into liquids like
fish/liver/chicken/beef oils at compounding drugstores, but they just
grind up the pills and add it to the base. you could do the same thing.
try tuna oil.

Old November 15th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mack A. Damia

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 23:16:51 -0500, Clara Semps
wrote:

The vet said I could try half a Benadryl, ever 6 hours but I can't get
the pill down his throat. He's already bitten me twice. I tried
crushing it and putting it in his food, but he won't fall for that
either. Entirely too wily a kitty if you ask me. So I'm again stuck.
Wish there were a liquid version of this with flavors cats like.

For now, I just have to keep him calm after he eats so he can digest
his food. It helps.

Do you have anyone who can help you?

My longhairs were pretty docile, I guess - this is thirty years ago or
more - but I used to cradle them, force their mouths open with one
hand and toss a pill into the back of their throats. Have some water
or milk on hand for a drink. Maybe you've tried this.

Old November 16th 12, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

wrote:

has the vet ruled out a food allergy

I can't afford allergy testing. Or x-rays, or a sonogram, or oher

testing. The doc gave him allergy shots. Didn't work. Now I'm
thinking

it's just a post nasal drip and I need to find a decongestant.

AFAIK, there isn't allergy testing like people get. Usually vets try
an elimination diet of sorts, removing the most common allergens
first--like grains (especially corn and wheat). Or by trying a
different kind of protein source (like duck instead of chicken). In
his case, it's certainly worth a try.

The drugs I suggested are antihistimines only, not decongestants. I
would not use a human decongestant without consulting your vet first.

Make your own liquit version by dissolving it in chicken broth, and pour
just a little bit on each can of cat food you give him. With a little
experimentation, you can probsably find a combo he will eat, especvially
when he gets real hungry......

Old November 16th 12, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

The trouble with Benadryl is that it is _very_ bitter, and with the small size you need, you have to cut the tablet. You could try a Pill Pocket as suggested, or try coating the cut end with butter or margarine. You could also crush it into a small amount of tuna juice.

Chaniarts suggested the liquid children's, but I found that even harder to use than a pill.
Old December 27th 12, 10:08 PM
Kathryne Kathryne is offline
Junior Member

Post

Try hyper-thyroid problems, at that age it causes weight loss and eventual stroke or death (yes there is medication for it), house plants especially verigated in color, try a diet that has no grain and pure meat like: Natural Balance Duck Pea, dry and wet (dry food may cause vomiting).
Hop this works.
Old December 28th 12, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

Default Cat gets tiny hard bumps, if picked they become scabs and go away

"Kathryne" wrote in message

she sometimes mows her hair, this has been going on for a year

--
Kathryne

is this under the chin?

Old December 29th 12, 04:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Gandalf[_4_]

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:00:25 -0500, "Matthew"
wrote:

"Kathryne" wrote in message

she sometimes mows her hair, this has been going on for a year

--
Kathryne

is this under the chin?

Yes, it sounds like feline acne, though I have no idea what 'she
sometimes mows her hair' means.

Feline acne is most commonly found on a cat's chin, thoigh just like
people, I'm sure it can occour elsewhere.

More information would be a big help.