A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat health & behaviour
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

cat exhibits strage behavior when playing with toy

Old November 11th 14, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rich[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default cat exhibits strage behavior when playing with toy

We have two cats, both 10 year old neutered males. Indoor only, perfectly healthy. Zero medical history. Current on vaccines, etc. About a month ago we purchased a new toy. It's basically a mouse on a wire, and a wand. There's no catnip or any other attractant/stimulant on the toy. They go nuts for this thing. Unlike any other toy they've had.

Here's the odd thing. One of the males will catch it then hold it in his mouth then clench his hind section repeatedly. It looks like he's trying to defecate. A link to a video of him doing it is below. He only exhibits this behaviour when this particular toy is in his mouth. He drops the toy and the behaviour stops. It's not a digestive issue, that's all fine and unchanged. It's not neurologic. I understand neurology quite well. It's behavioural. I just don't know why he does it. This doesn't appear to be anything harmful. I'm just really curious. We've had cats for 4 decades and never seen any do this.

Can anyone tell me 1) if they've ever seen this before and 2) what is the underlying purpose for the behaviour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLgEB...ature=youtu.be

Kind Regards,
Old November 11th 14, 02:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 11/10/2014 7:52 PM, Rich wrote:
what is the underlying purpose for the behaviour?

...........Haven't the foggiest. You might post he
http://consciouscat.net/2012/03/19/f...uage/#comments

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old November 14th 14, 05:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk
external usenet poster

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:52:58 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

We have two cats, both 10 year old neutered males. Indoor only, perfectly healthy. Zero medical history. Current on vaccines, etc. About a month ago we purchased a new toy. It's basically a mouse on a wire, and a wand. There's no catnip or any other attractant/stimulant on the toy. They go nuts for this thing. Unlike any other toy they've had.

Here's the odd thing. One of the males will catch it then hold it in his mouth then clench his hind section repeatedly. It looks like he's trying to defecate. A link to a video of him doing it is below. He only exhibits this behaviour when this particular toy is in his mouth. He drops the toy and the behaviour stops. It's not a digestive issue, that's all fine and unchanged. It's not neurologic. I understand neurology quite well. It's behavioural. I just don't know why he does it. This doesn't appear to be anything harmful. I'm just really curious. We've had cats for 4 decades and never seen any do this.

Can anyone tell me 1) if they've ever seen this before and 2) what is the underlying purpose for the behaviour?

Kind Regards,

A bit odd but he's a cat so that pretty much explains much feline
behavior. Maybe there is some taste/odor that reminds him of something
else that triggers that behavior. Does he have any issue with the anal
glands? I don't know why it would manifest when he has this toy in his
mouth, but if you see him scooting on the floor maybe he needs them
expressed. But you've had cats about as long as I have so you've
probably seen (and smelled) that.

Mention it to his vet.
Old November 17th 14, 04:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rich[_3_]
external usenet poster

No issues with anal glands. The vet couldn't explain the behavior and suggested a behaviorist if I really want to solve this mystery.

thanks,

On Friday, November 14, 2014 10:09:06 AM UTC-6, dgk wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:52:58 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

We have two cats, both 10 year old neutered males. Indoor only, perfectly healthy. Zero medical history. Current on vaccines, etc. About a month ago we purchased a new toy. It's basically a mouse on a wire, and a wand.. There's no catnip or any other attractant/stimulant on the toy. They go nuts for this thing. Unlike any other toy they've had.

Kind Regards,

A bit odd but he's a cat so that pretty much explains much feline
behavior. Maybe there is some taste/odor that reminds him of something
else that triggers that behavior. Does he have any issue with the anal
glands? I don't know why it would manifest when he has this toy in his
mouth, but if you see him scooting on the floor maybe he needs them
expressed. But you've had cats about as long as I have so you've
probably seen (and smelled) that.

Mention it to his vet.

Old November 18th 14, 07:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk
external usenet poster

On Mon, 17 Nov 2014 07:09:39 -0800 (PST), Rich
wrote:

No issues with anal glands. The vet couldn't explain the behavior and suggested a behaviorist if I really want to solve this mystery.

thanks,

Jackson, the Animal Planet guy. Maybe just write to him. It's cheaper
than a behaviorist.