Cystitis

Old July 12th 05, 05:03 AM
jmc

Default Cystitis

It's 5:00am here, and my cat is having a Cystitis attack, clearly blood
in her urine this time. Vet appt is at 9am; they say it's not life
threatening, and it's *really* expensive to do out of hours visits).

Is there anything I can do to help her until we can get to the vet?

jmc
Old July 12th 05, 05:29 AM
Rhonda

Hi JMC,

Sorry your cat is sick. Do you have sub-q fluids at home? Any way to get
your cat to drink more water right away?

I don't know a lot about cystitis, it's been years since we had a cat
with an attack. How is she acting?

I think if I had a cat in that situation and a vet I trusted said it's
okay to wait a few hours, and she wasn't in immense pain, I'd probably
wait. My experience at the emergency vets is you usually have to wait an
hour or more anyway.

Good luck, let us know how she's doing,

Rhonda

Old July 12th 05, 05:52 AM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (12-Jul-05 5:29 AM):

jmc wrote:

[...]

Thanks. No subq. Best I could do is lock her in the bathroom with some
water (since otherwise, she's trying boots, and corners, etc). She's
obviously uncomfortable, and only able to pee a drop at a time - she's
had one other attack, this one's much worse.

This isn't an emergency vet, this is my regular vet, and I could have
called her in if I wanted - but as she's really expensive in the first
place, the callout cost is much, much higher (been there, done that), so
I wanted to go during normal hours, if it doesn't hurt Meep. I don't
think anything they do gives immediate relief anyway. At least, it
didn't last time.

Thanks for your advice. It's just difficult to see her distressed, and
not do anything.

jmc
Old July 12th 05, 09:09 AM
Alison

"jmc" wrote in message
It's 5:00am here, and my cat is having a Cystitis attack, clearly

blood
in her urine this time. Vet appt is at 9am; they say it's not life
threatening, and it's *really* expensive to do out of hours visits).

Is there anything I can do to help her until we can get to the vet?

jmc

I can't think of anything, sorry. I hope she will be ok . Its a
horrible situation to be in. My cat suffers from this and the waiting
seems endless.
Alison

Old July 12th 05, 04:56 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Alison exclaimed (12-Jul-05 9:09 AM):
"jmc" wrote in message

It's 5:00am here, and my cat is having a Cystitis attack, clearly

blood

in her urine this time. Vet appt is at 9am; they say it's not life
threatening, and it's *really* expensive to do out of hours visits).

Is there anything I can do to help her until we can get to the vet?

jmc

I can't think of anything, sorry. I hope she will be ok . Its a
horrible situation to be in. My cat suffers from this and the waiting
seems endless.
Alison

Followup question:

How long after treatment should she find some relief? She was given an
antibiotic and antiinflammatory at around 9am. It's now nearly 5pm, and
unless she's been really good at finding a corner, she hasn't gone yet.
I'm waiting as I need to bring a sample to the vet, so they can figure
out what sort of crystals she has (couldn't get a sample this morning).

Vet said to call at 6 if she hasn't gone yet, but she normally goes only
in the early morning, and may be 'holding it' expecting to be let
outside, or because she really doesn't like the tiny pile of
nonabsorbent 'perls' in her box in lieu of the deep litter she prefers.

jmc
Old July 12th 05, 06:22 PM
Alison

"jmc" wrote in message

[...]

Kim's last bout was over a year ago AFAIR she would stop running
around and straining with in a couple of hours. She would probably
do a golf ball size wee 5 or 6 hours after seeing the vet. I think by
the time she got to the vet she was all peed out from the straining
and doing small pees so I didn't expect her to do much more weeing.
I wouldn't worry if you can't get a urine sample for the vet yet, it
can be done later. I think if this were me, I would put back her old
litter to encourage her . She is probably upset with being in pain and
going to the vet and I think its more important that she wees in her
old litter than not wee at all. Its important she gets lots of
moisture. Is she on a dry diet? Soak it if she is . If she is on
canned, add a little water to it.
Is she more settled and less agitated now ? I hope so.

There is a stoneforming cat group you can join, its a bit quiet but
you can read up past posts for information

Alison

Old July 12th 05, 06:29 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Alison exclaimed (12-Jul-05 6:22 PM):
"jmc" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. Yea, she has no interest in the litterbox at all, so I think
she's fine. I'll probably offer a second litterbox in a slightly
unusual place with her usual litter, just to avoid 'accidents'. The
vet's in a long consultation just now, she's supposed to call me when
she's done, help me decide if I should be worried. My instincts say I
shouldn't be though, and I'm a very paranoid cat mommy

I *will* be worried if she hasn't peed by the time we wake up tomorrow,
though...

I keep her on as much canned/wet food as she'll eat, and she gets some
free-choice dry. Needed, because of her teeth (don't you love health
issues with competing treatments?) Also, she won't touch it if it's
even damp. I've tried her 100% wet, but she'd rather starve than eat a
food she doesn't like...

Thanks for your feedback. This is very stressful for both of us, we're
both learning how to deal with this.

jmc
Old July 12th 05, 06:47 PM
Alison

"jmc" wrote in message
. The
vet's in a long consultation just now, she's supposed to call me

when
she's done, help me decide if I should be worried. My instincts say

shouldn't be though, and I'm a very paranoid cat mommy .

I think most of us are the same It's hard not to worry and its best
to be
on the safe side.

I *will* be worried if she hasn't peed by the time we wake up

tomorrow,
though...

I keep her on as much canned/wet food as she'll eat, and she gets

some
free-choice dry. Needed, because of her teeth (don't you love

health
issues with competing treatments?) Also, she won't touch it if it's
even damp. I've tried her 100% wet, but she'd rather starve than

eat a
food she doesn't like...

My vet gave me dental chews but Kim wouldnt eat them so her teeth
will probably have to be cleaned soon, the first time since I've had
her. She has Feline idiopathic cystitis. I just daren't give Kim
dried food . She has a GAG supplement Cystease to line her bladder and
a Feliway diffuser .

Thanks for your feedback. This is very stressful for both of us,

we're
both learning how to deal with this.

I know how you feel! Hopefully, she will be better soon and you'll
be able to take steps to prevent it happening again.
Are you in the UK?
Alison

jmc

Old July 12th 05, 06:59 PM
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Alison exclaimed (12-Jul-05 6:47 PM):

She has a GAG supplement Cystease to line her bladder and
a Feliway diffuser .

What, exactly, is that? Meep's on Glucosamine...

Are you in the UK?

Yes. Why?

jmc
Old July 12th 05, 07:59 PM
Alison

"jmc" wrote in message
Suddenly, without warning, Alison exclaimed (12-Jul-05 6:47 PM):

What, exactly, is that? Meep's on Glucosamine...

It's the same. Its just easier to say GAG G
This is the actual supplemnt she has . I get it from my local vet.
http://www.parkvets.com/microsite/flutdgag.html

Are you in the UK?

Yes. Why?

Me too