Diagnosed Feline Fibroid Sarcoma

Old August 20th 03, 09:48 PM
berry

Default Diagnosed Feline Fibroid Sarcoma

Our (approx.15-16) year old cat was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago
with the above at the top of his right hind leg. (or around there) Vet
said this is common in older cats. A vet partner more or less
confirmed the diagnosis. 6 months ago it didn't appear OR the vet
missed it. No biopsy was done but will be done tomorrow. At that
previous visit couple of weeks ago - vet said that the leg could
be amputated and that cats do fine with 3 legs. Well, at his age
and being such a neat, affectionate pet. I couldn't do that to
him. If his life will not be much longer, then I don't want to put
him through that. My husband took him in because he had been
not gaining weight and was limping a little. I hadn't noticed the
limping.

The limping has gotten more prounounced lately. He is now taking
vitamins and I am feeding him things that he really likes to eat and
he loves that. Doesn't overeat, however.

Anyone else been through this? Why couldn't the fibroid be
removed or somehow dealt with instead of amputation as a
cure. (?) He doesn't appear to be in pain right now tho I do
notice now that he has to find a comfortable way to lie down
at times.

My husband is taking him back in to the vet tomorrow
(unfortunately I am going out of town). I think the vet should
definitely do the biopsy!

Any help or info would really be appreciated. I love this dear cat
and just looking for any remedy\possible answer that 'might' help.
Old August 21st 03, 06:44 PM
Cate

"berry" wrote in message

Anyone else been through this? Why couldn't the fibroid be
removed or somehow dealt with instead of amputation as a
cure. (?)

Yes, I've been through it. It's a locally aggressive cancer, which means
it's very fast to grow but doesn't typically metastasize to other organs. It
also means that when removing the tumor, you must cut away a relatively
large margin around the tumor. Different diagnoses and different vets will
use different margins, but let's say 2-3 cm all around the tumor as an
average goal to shoot for. That means that for at tumor that's, say, already
4 cm across, you've got to cut out a mass of tissue that's 6-7 cm all around
to have a good chance at the cancer not returning. The top of the leg/the
hip is really tricky in this regard because the tumor sometimes involves
bone or parts of major organs in the torso, or the margin required overlaps
these things.

Even if the surgery removes the recommended margin, there still might be a
relatively high rate for return of the cancer. If I recall correctly, my vet
told me that even if he could get the recommended margin around my cat's
tumor--and that was doubtful--the likelihood the cancer would return was
something like 50-80%.

I would've amputated my cat's leg, but the tumor was so involved that it
would have meant cutting out a significant part of her pelvic bone and part
of her liver. And even then the likelihood of return was high.

My cat died from the tumor, which grew from walnut size to peach size in
under three weeks. Once it was that size, it stopped growing larger--at
least where it was visible to me, on the outside of her body. She went from
limping to totally not using that leg. I think it was three months from the
time of diagnosis to when she started having seizures and I euthanized her.

I say all this not to scare you, but to give you information. If your vet
says an amputation is the only way she can survive cancer-free, and that at
her age she could handle it, you have to think very carefully about how to
lovingly provide the best care for your kitty.

I wish you much luck, and I suggest you ask questions about this on
alt.med.veterinary.

Cate