Help - did I hurt Otis?

Old March 22nd 05, 02:40 AM
Susan M

Default Help - did I hurt Otis?

Hi the

I'm worried sick about Otis.

I rather childishly went to slam our back door (looooong story) and Otis
chose that moment to try to rush outside into the freezing weather and snow
(????). The door bounced back off of him and he shot right back into the
house.

He went to the basement where he slunk around for a while and then found the
guest bed and curled up as if to sleep - but you could tell he was all
shaken up. I wanted to see if he was walking ok so I called them upstairs
to feed them. He came upstairs but not straight up. He was slow and his
rear end was to one side.

He ate like a pig. Seems to be walking ok now but went right back
downstairs to curl up on the bed again. He doesn't usually sleep there. I
wonder if he's got some kind of mild shock thing going.

How do I know I didn't do any internal damage or anything and that he'll
bleed internally or something? He could just be bruised but what if I hurt
him? TED is closed for the night or I'd call him. I will call in the
morning and ask what to watch for.

This isn't the first time he's been caught in the door - he's done this once
before - but the door wasn't being slammed like this.

Ugh. I feel sick.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old March 22nd 05, 02:46 AM
Hopitus

IMHO - couple of reasons I don't think he's injured
seriously....first, eating like a pig is a good sign, and
you did see him walking normally after awhile, didn't
you? I think the soft bed appeals to him because his
butt is probably sore as hell, but I think if he had
internal damage he wouldn't have eaten, much less
made it to the food bowl.
See how he is later on.....

Old March 22nd 05, 02:53 AM
Victor Martinez

Susan M wrote:
This isn't the first time he's been caught in the door - he's done this once
before - but the door wasn't being slammed like this.

My mom's kitten had the same thing happen, except the door actually
closed all the way (it's an old metal door that does not quite seal). My
mom thought for sure her kitten would not survive, but she showed no
signs of any problems.
Purrs for Otis.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 22nd 05, 03:06 AM
Yoj

[...]

(((((((((Susan)))))))))

I suspect he's okay. Cats are amazingly tough. Skeeter (RB) once got
caught by the garage door (automatic closer). He was at one side of the
door, which closed completely. I blamed myself, because I tried to grab her
instead of pushing the button to stop the door. I felt the way you do, but
when I opened the door, she walked off, and she was perfectly okay. I still
don't understand it, because there was about one inch clearance between the
door and the side molding. Anyway, she never suffered any ill effects.

I now have a new door and a sophisticated closer that stops closing if
anything crosses the doorway while it's closing. I still watch it close,
with my finger hovering over the button, if there's a cat in sight.

Joy

Joy

Old March 22nd 05, 03:14 AM
Takayuki

"Susan M" smawdsley remove @shaw.ca wrote:

How do I know I didn't do any internal damage or anything and that he'll
bleed internally or something? He could just be bruised but what if I hurt
him? TED is closed for the night or I'd call him. I will call in the
morning and ask what to watch for.

This isn't the first time he's been caught in the door - he's done this once
before - but the door wasn't being slammed like this.

Ugh. I feel sick.

Poor Otis, and poor you! I would watch Otis carefully. This reminds
me of when I was hit by a car when I was little. I was perfectly
fine, but they hospitalized me for 24 hours, ran some blood tests, and
let me go. I think they figured that if there was any internal damage
due to blunt trauma, it would become evident within a day.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:35 AM
Mischief

from your description, he sounds like he's okay, especially if he's
eating and walking. But I would watch him like a hawk for the next 24
hours and if he seems off in any way, take him to the vet.

Kristi

Old March 22nd 05, 04:14 AM
badwilson

Awww, poor Otis. I'm sure he'll be fine though, cats are very
rubbery. The fact that he ate lots and came up and down the stairs a
couple of times is a good sign. He's probably just in shock a bit.
Purrs for Otis and for your nerves.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown

Old March 22nd 05, 04:16 AM
Kim

If the door was slammed really hard, I'd been worried as heck and I'd get
him to a vet in the morning.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:29 AM
Lots42

Eddie the dog had the door bounce off his fat butt a few times because
he can't quite figure out 'Moving big thing might hurt'. He got sore
for a few days but was fine.

Otis had Chester's hairball Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 March 15th 05 05:38 PM
Otis - how being lost has changed him Susan M Cat anecdotes 90 October 16th 04 11:26 PM
OTIS: Another miracle Susan M Cat anecdotes 114 September 14th 04 06:47 PM
Otis EMERGENCY Susan M Cat anecdotes 92 September 3rd 04 09:44 PM
Otis and Chester: Where are they now? (LONG) Susan M Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 03 02:29 PM