Illinois Earthquake Overnight

Old June 28th 04, 11:06 AM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Illinois Earthquake Overnight

Did anyone else feel the earthquake in Illinois overnight? It happened
at 1:10 AM this morning, and was measured at 4.5, preliminary
epicenter about 8 miles northwest of Ottawa, Illinois (about 75 miles
west of Chicago). This is a fairly large earthquake for this part of
the country - we just don't get quakes you can feel around here, just
tornadoes and floods ^_^

I was awake at the time, sitting in my recliner, thinking about going
to bed. A neighbor banged out of their apartment, door slamming and
all, and at first I thought my apartment was shaking because of that.
Then my brain kicked in and realized things had been rattling and
shaking too long for that to be the cause. By the time I thought to
look and see if my hanging lamps were swaying, it was over.

After a hard evening's napping, my mistress, Natasha, woke up and
stared at me as if to ask me to make the shaking stop. I guess she
didn't feel it coming

If you go to this website

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_kgad.html

you can see information about it. There's even a place to report your
first-hand experience to the US Geological Survey, and another place
that summarizes these first-hand observations in several different
ways. Kind of neat

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old June 28th 04, 11:56 AM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
[...]

Oh *Great*! This means we're bound to get hit down here in Memphis. You're
on the New Madrid fault which runs from Cairo, Illinois down to Marked Tree,
Arkansas. We are way past due for another quake.

Last time we had one was 1976 and measured a 5.0 - the epicenter was about
150 miles to the northwest and it still managed to crack the cement
foundation of my parents' house. Mom was out of town attending a funeral
and she thought we were joking when we called her to inform her the earth
had moved (and not in the way Carole King sang about).

Glad to hear Natasha is such a good quake detector! (giggling) Your comment
about the hanging lamps reminded me - when the one happened down here I was
walking down the hallway towards my bedroom. I was jolted to the side and
grabbed onto the doorframe for support. Noticed my bedside lamp was doing a
funny little shimmy. That's what it hit me - damn, we're having an
earthquake!

The only thing we aren't prone to here in the Memphis area is hurricanes; my
folks now live off the coast of SC and they can have my share of those.
Glad it appears there was no major damage or loss of life.

Jill

Old June 28th 04, 12:17 PM
Jeanne Hedge

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 05:56:55 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

Oh *Great*! This means we're bound to get hit down here in Memphis. You're
on the New Madrid fault which runs from Cairo, Illinois down to Marked Tree,
Arkansas. We are way past due for another quake.

Yeah, my parents in southern Indiana actually have an earthquake rider
on their homeowner's insurance, in case the New Madrid goes off. But I
don't think this morning's quake was on that same fault line.

snip

Glad to hear Natasha is such a good quake detector! (giggling)

^_^ I've been watching the morning news, and there are all sorts of
reports from nearer the epicenter of animals picking up on the quake
before people did. They seem to be of two types - horses, cattle, and
deer getting into herds, and d*gs and cats barking, yowling, and
otherwise raising a ruckus.

Your comment
about the hanging lamps reminded me - when the one happened down here I was
walking down the hallway towards my bedroom. I was jolted to the side and
grabbed onto the doorframe for support. Noticed my bedside lamp was doing a
funny little shimmy. That's what it hit me - damn, we're having an
earthquake!

The only thing we aren't prone to here in the Memphis area is hurricanes; my
folks now live off the coast of SC and they can have my share of those.
Glad it appears there was no major damage or loss of life.

Earthquakes just don't come to mind in this part of the country. Most
people closer to the epicenter are reported to be saying either they
thought the building they were in was hit by a vehicle or that there'd
been some sort of explosion (a booming noise was reported just prior
to the quake). As I said, my first thought was that my neighbor had
slammed the door really hard.

No reports of damage or injury.

Old June 28th 04, 12:38 PM
jmcquown

wrote:

Oh *Great*! This means we're bound to get hit down here in Memphis.
You're on the New Madrid fault which runs from Cairo, Illinois down
to Marked Tree, Arkansas. We are way past due for another quake.

Yeah, my parents in southern Indiana actually have an earthquake rider
on their homeowner's insurance, in case the New Madrid goes off. But I
don't think this morning's quake was on that same fault line.

Yeah, I have a $5,000 earthquake deductible on my rental insurance because
of where I live. For anything else, it's just $500 Still pretty cheap
considering if an earthquake destroyed my dwelling I'd have full replacement
cost on everything. I'm not sure what other faults run around this part of
the US. The NM is the biggest.

Being in Memphis, which is Elvis country, I wrote an article called "All
Shook Up" back in the 1980's about earthquake preparedness. It was
published in a newsletter my then employer sent out to members. Your
neighbor did the right thing by banging out the door; it's best to clear out
of a building. I did the right thing by hanging onto a door frame, second
best thing (a reinforced area).

If you live in an earthquake zone, DO NOT hang paintings, mirrors, etc.
above your sofa or bed. That's a big no-no. Bookshelves should be secured
to walls with metal brackets. Stay away from brick walls and fireplaces
which may crumble. Fun facts for living

Jill

snip

Old June 28th 04, 12:52 PM
jmcquown

wrote:

You're on the New Madrid fault which runs from Cairo, Illinois down
to Marked Tree, Arkansas. We are way past due for another quake.

Yeah, my parents in southern Indiana actually have an earthquake
rider
on their homeowner's insurance, in case the New Madrid goes off. But
I don't think this morning's quake was on that same fault line.

Marked Tree, Arkansas, where the fault line ends, is about 150 miles from
where I live. I'm still considered to be in 'the zone'.

Jill

snip

Old June 28th 04, 04:08 PM
jmcquown

Jeanne Hedge wrote:
Did anyone else feel the earthquake in Illinois overnight? It happened
at 1:10 AM this morning, and was measured at 4.5, preliminary
epicenter about 8 miles northwest of Ottawa, Illinois (about 75 miles
west of Chicago). This is a fairly large earthquake for this part of
the country (snip)
Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

Just talked to my long-lost (thankfully found) love G. He was right near
Chicago at a campground when this happened but didn't feel anything. Good;
he doesn't need the added stress. It's bad enough having to haul a** 600
miles to the next art show without being awakened by an earthquake

Jill