2 ferals

Old February 21st 04, 07:21 PM
StocksRus®

Default 2 ferals

My 2 kids are driving me nuts when 2 strays come to my downstairs patio and
start howling at 2 am. My kids only go outside supervised and both Bonnie
and Squeak are "fixed" so I'm pretty sure it's not that the strays are
wanting....well you know.
Anyway, Squeak, being the brut he is,could probably kick their butts outta
here, but I'm not stupid enough to take that chance.
This is an area under new development, so it could be the ferals belong to
someone, but why the hell would they let them out all night? There's
coyoties, fox, and other preditors around.
I don't want to trap and take them to the shelter, but I need to sleep at
night. BTW, the shelter, only one within 50 miles has a 72 hour policy.
Why the hell are they picking my patio?? And what can I do?

--
StocksRus®

Old February 21st 04, 10:48 PM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

"StocksRus®" wrote:

My 2 kids are driving me nuts when 2 strays come to my downstairs patio and
start howling at 2 am. My kids only go outside supervised and both Bonnie
and Squeak are "fixed" so I'm pretty sure it's not that the strays are
wanting....well you know.
Anyway, Squeak, being the brut he is,could probably kick their butts outta
here, but I'm not stupid enough to take that chance.
This is an area under new development, so it could be the ferals belong to
someone, but why the hell would they let them out all night? There's
coyoties, fox, and other preditors around.
I don't want to trap and take them to the shelter, but I need to sleep at
night. BTW, the shelter, only one within 50 miles has a 72 hour policy.
Why the hell are they picking my patio?? And what can I do?

Get a "sound machine"? Seriously, there are gadgets designed for
masking external noises over which you have no control. They can be set
for various sounds - ocean, rain, frogs, crickets, heartbeats, or just
"white noise". I have one at home because I have extra keen hearing,
and now that I live in an apartment building many of the normal sounds
of other people's daily living disturb me when I'm trying to sleep (even
though my neighbors are not particularly noisy - it's me, not them). I
even have a travel alarm clock with the same option (which is very handy
in strange hotel rooms, with tourists unmindful of any schedules but
their own). If you can't locate the owner, then rather than trying to
trap someone else's cats, why not try my suggestion - the gadgets are
not very expensive, and I've found them effective. (BTW, there WAS a
time when "putting the cat out at night" was considered the normal thing
to do - maybe your midnight invaders come from a home where that's still
the case.)
Old February 21st 04, 11:11 PM
~*Connie*~

trap them and take them to the shelter. You'll be doing them a favor.
Lots of people who have cats feel that their being able to be outside is
more important than the pitfalls out there.
0...

Old February 21st 04, 11:44 PM
StocksRus®

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in
:

"StocksRus®" wrote:

[...]

Ya know what? I have one of those I got in a golf tournament. I'll give
it a shot.
Don't you think if people let their cats out all night, or at all, they
would have a collar? Mine do just in case they take off, someones going
to know they belong to someone. Even had mine "chipped"

--
StocksRus®

Old February 22nd 04, 12:54 AM
Steve Touchstone

"StocksRus®" wrote:

[...]

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 22nd 04, 01:01 AM
Steve Touchstone

"StocksRus®" wrote:

[...]

I know from my three that some cats just won't tolerate wearing a
collar. Rocky was feral for years before consenting to move in with
me. He doesn't fight me putting on a collar, but as soon as he's out
of sight he manages to get rid of it.

The girls have learned to wear theirs with no problem, and have never
lost any. The only time I put them on is for trips outside, so they
wait patiently by an open door while I put them on. This also helps
keep them from dashing out when they're not supposed to, as they have
learned going out without the collar gets them put right back inside.
If they wait to get "dressed", they get to stay out (at least until
I'm ready to go back inside).
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old February 22nd 04, 01:45 AM
jmcquown

"StocksRus®" wrote:

My 2 kids are driving me nuts when 2 strays come to my downstairs
patio and start howling at 2 am.

(snip_
This is an area under new development, so it could be the ferals
belong to
someone, but why the hell would they let them out all night?

Because some people are irresponsible?

There's
coyoties, fox, and other preditors around.
I don't want to trap and take them to the shelter, but I need to
sleep at
night. BTW, the shelter, only one within 50 miles has a 72 hour
policy.
Why the hell are they picking my patio?? And what can I do?

Get a "sound machine"? Seriously, there are gadgets designed for
masking external noises over which you have no control.

Evelyn, if you didn't get my email, where can I get one of those travel
clocks with a sound machine? I'm used to sleeping with one and since I'm
planning to travel am dreading hotel "sounds"

Ya know what? I have one of those I got in a golf tournament. I'll
give it a shot.
Don't you think if people let their cats out all night, or at all,
they would have a collar?

Yes. It's the responsible thing to do.

Mine do just in case they take off,
someones going to know they belong to someone. Even had mine "chipped"

I had Persia chipped in case she ran off again like she did once before.

Jill

Old February 22nd 04, 02:28 AM
Magic Mood Jeep©

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
{snippag}
Evelyn, if you didn't get my email, where can I get one of those travel
clocks with a sound machine? I'm used to sleeping with one and since I'm
planning to travel am dreading hotel "sounds"

We got ours from Sharper Image. http://tinyurl.com/zap8 I just typed in a
search for "travel soother" and got 10 pages of results. The first one
listed is the one we have - we even bought the ac adaptor for it (what's $10
vs. a ton of batteries?)

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have them)
and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise from that is
equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound soothers replicate.
Unless you want the other sounds - traffic, surf, crickets, rainshower....
the list goes on!

Old February 22nd 04, 03:01 AM
David G Fisher

There are sprinklers which have a motion sensor. They go off when an animal
comes near them. I saw these sprinklers on This Old House last week. Some
people use them to scare away deer from their bushes.

Should work for cats then. :-)

Dave

0...

Old February 22nd 04, 09:42 AM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeep© wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
{snippag}
Evelyn, if you didn't get my email, where can I get one of those
travel clocks with a sound machine? I'm used to sleeping with one
and since I'm planning to travel am dreading hotel "sounds"

We got ours from Sharper Image. http://tinyurl.com/zap8 I just
typed in a search for "travel soother" and got 10 pages of results.
The first one listed is the one we have - we even bought the ac
adaptor for it (what's $10 vs. a ton of batteries?)

But the one from Sharper Image shuts off after 60 minutes... I always wake
up when it shuts off (if I accidentally set mine to 'timer') at home. The
gadget I have is just the noise machine, not a clock, and while it's small
it wouldn't pack well in a suitcase.

If all else fails - just use the clock radio (IIRC, most hotels have
them) and set it to a non-existent radio station. The static noise
from that is equal to the 'white noise' that most of the sound
soothers replicate. Unless you want the other sounds - traffic, surf,
crickets, rainshower.... the list goes on!

I like crickets Makes me feel like I'm camping.

Jill