Cat has taken to using couch as litter box

Old September 30th 03, 05:51 AM
Dave

Default Cat has taken to using couch as litter box

I've got a formerly feral cat, who's been inside for about 18 mos, who,
w/increasing frequency has taken to going on the sofa. In the past, if I'd
found out that she'd gone outside the box I'd chaulked it up to a possible
"traffic" issue--perhaps another cat was in the box at the time. But
tonight I caught her dumping on the couch. I know she didn't even attempt
to go to the box. Similar thing happened a few days ago. She had been
sitting on the couch for a while, them the next time I go in there she's
moved to the floor, and the couch is soiled.

She's not sick, nothing's changed or new in the house, but over the past few
months these occurances have increased. Last week she peed in the laundry
basket. And in case it was a traffic issue I added another litter box, but,
as I said, tonight she didn't even look for the box. I can't understand why
she'd go on the couch which is a place she likes to sit. And interestingly,
she's been more friendly lately, sometimes, on her own, coming up on the
couch to sit next to me. Also, in recent months she's become interested in
playing w/the other 2 cats. Those are big improvements. Unfortunately, her
other behavior is going in the other direction.

Frustrated...
--

-Dave

Old September 30th 03, 12:47 PM
Karen

in article , Dave at
wrote on 9/29/03 11:51 PM:

[...]

Your positive she isn't sick? You've had her checked? If so, you might try a
strong smelling orange spray on the couch, to deter her. Is that the only
area that she is using outside the box?

karen

Old September 30th 03, 04:47 PM
Splinky

Your positive she isn't sick?

Well, now that you mention it, I the other day I noticed tape worms (I
thought they were all flea free, but I guess not), which she'll be getting
medication for today. Although I've never thought worms caused this type of
behavior. I've only seen urinary tract/bladder problems cause them to go
outside the box. Do tape worms cause discomfort?

strong smelling orange spray on the couch, to deter her.

Might deter me, too.

Is that the only
area that she is using outside the box?

As I mentioned, she peed in the laundry basket last week.

A few mos ago she had a bladder infection, but that was cleared up w/a
couple of weeks' of antibiotics. Even then, she only peed outside the box,
never pooped.

Since she's been in the house there have been occasional incidents where
she's gone outside the box, though I was never sure why. I hope she hasn't
decided that the couch is going to be her private bathroom.
--

-Dave

Old October 1st 03, 06:07 AM
Dave

I think this is definitely not a behaviour problem

I hope your right. But despite the worms, she's only going once a day.
Today, I placed a box close to where she's hanging out, and I blocked the
couch, and she used the box. (And after she did I brought her to it and
praised her--whatever good that did.)

Make sure you really clean it, and use a neutralizing agent like Nature's
Miracle.

I'll do that. Though, she hadn't actually soiled the covers on the
cushions. There was a blanket she went on, which is why this is troubling.
It's not like there was some stinky cushion luring her to that spot.

The thing that worries me is that, years ago I had her in the house for a
few months (I let her back out because she never got used to it), and, if I
remember correctly, she'd sometimes not use the box. Never knew why.
--

-Dave