Pet Insurance Suggestions Needed

Old May 31st 04, 03:37 AM
faielyne

Default Pet Insurance Suggestions Needed

Please help me. Here is my situation:

I have three cats;

Melampus is 15 and healthy for the most part. Long-haired domestic,
neutered, grumpy (always has been). He had to have a back toe
amputated on New Year's Eve 2000/2001 after he jumped off of a shelf
and got a claw stuck in a wall. I told him later that if he wanted
toes amputated he should've just asked to be declawed. He told me I
wasn't funny. He's such a grouch.

Storm is 4 and is currently at the Emergency Veterinary Clinic because
he is blocked (again) with crystals. He is a short-haired domestic,
neutered, ID chip, sweetest cat alive.

Taran is 3 and pretty healthy if I can keep him from ingesting his
toys. He had 2 surgeries before he was 2 months old to remove cotton
eyeballs from his stomach. Since then he has been fine however. He
is a short-haired domestic, neutered, scaredy-cat (but he thinks he's
a tough guy).

So as you can see, my cats have been very expensive. While I
understand that Storm's current problem won't be covered, what I
wonder is if he clears up and it recurrs would it then be covered by
any insurance companies you know of. Any help at all with exams and
vaccines would be great too. Dental and/or grooming would be a bonus.
Melampus is also a concern because of his age. I haven't had any
problems arise so far but he is getting older and I'm sure that some
problems will be inevitable. Taran keeps trying to eat plastic bags
and other random objects. I usually can hide things pretty well from
him, but if he were to need another surgery, I just don't know how
much more I can afford.

Does anyone here have any experience with pet insurance? Would pet
insurance be my best option? Or would one of the pet medical discount
groups be better? I did notice that the discount includes
pre-existing conditions, but I would have to switch vet's and I really
love my vet! Well, any help or suggestions at all will be
appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rhiannon

Old May 31st 04, 07:15 AM
minerva nine

I've done some research on pet insurance, and in my opinion, they aren't
worth what you pay for them. Over time you'll pay a lot more into the
policy than you'll ever get out of it. A better idea is to get a
low-interest credit card and keep it handy for pet emergencies. -- M9

news

Old May 31st 04, 02:06 PM
MIKE

I had insurance for one year but cancelled when the went up on their
rates. I now put $300 a year (two cats) into a special savings account
that is ONLY for emergencies. The normal things such a shots, grooming,
dental etc. are paid for separately (insurance probably wouldn't cover
them anyway). At 14, your older cat wouldn't be covered.

-MIKE

Old May 31st 04, 09:22 PM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 31 May 2004 02:37:53 +0000, faielyne wrote:

Does anyone here have any experience with pet insurance?

What I spotted here in the 'states is that the only insurance that does
pets is Veterinary Pet Insurance, based in Brea, CA. When we originally
looked at it, it was about $20/animal - but it was a reimbursement plan.

I think that, in retrospect, I kind of wish I had it for the times that we
did go to the vet to save our girls, but honestly, looking at the long
term expense, M9 and Mike are right - you're better off just taking the
money that you would otherwise spend on the insurance and sticking it in a
savings account, and subsequently keeping a low-interest credit card
around specifically for your pets. Alternatively, check with your vet and
see if they can put like $100 on credit hold for you, just in the
hopefully unlikely event that kitty needs the doctor.

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old June 1st 04, 01:37 AM
~*Connie*~

from my experience, it will only be worth it IF you have a young healthy
pet, and it does not stay that way.. aka if you got the insurance when you
first got them. then it is of benefit. I like the recommendation of
putting money aside for emergencies. Chances are any insurance premiums
would be $50-100 a month
news

Old June 1st 04, 02:49 AM
Sherry

from my experience, it will only be worth it IF you have a young healthy
pet, and it does not stay that way.. aka if you got the insurance when you
first got them. then it is of benefit. I like the recommendation of
putting money aside for emergencies. Chances are any insurance premiums
would be $50-100 a month

What company are you speaking of? $100 a month sounds excessive for a young,
healthy cat. Is the plan you're speaking of one of those that covers basic
routine care?

Sherry