I'm happy I found you! Some ?'s

Old May 23rd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default I'm happy I found you! Some ?'s

Hello, Barbara,

Welcome to rec.pets.anecdotes! If you have the room and the werewithal
to feed three cats, and it seems you do, I would recommend adopting
two kittens to be companions for one another. I think Lovey will pass
through a period of stress through the introduction of strange cats to
her territory, and getting only one as opposed to two wouldn't decrease
it by much. But having two young ones smaller than she is hopefully
will be less scary/stressful for her than cohabiting with Ginger. (As
sad as that was, I'd have to reluctantly agree that you did what you
had to, and that she was damaged long before you got her. She might
have been one of those cats who needs to be an only cat.) Adult cats
accept kittens more readily than they will another adult.

Regarding males vs females, my honest impression is that females bond
just fine. =o) I am owned by Francesca and Nina, a mother-daughter
pair, and they have bonded very well with me. My recently departed male
cat spent his life convinced that he was actually my husband, but I
feel no LACK of affection from my two girls.

Melissa

Old May 23rd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thanks, Pam - it IS a readable FAQ.

Old May 23rd 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Thank you all for your great ideas!

Old May 23rd 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tanada wrote in news:FTpcg.538$Sf2.250
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

BTW, welcome to the group. We are a group of cat servants (ok slaves,
but I don't like to admit it) here with an occasional troll. the FAQ
for this group is at http://www.angelfire.com/mt/yowie/catfaq.htm It
can help explain many of our quirks and make it easier for you to
understand the group dynamics of this place. Besides, it's one of the
few readable FAQs I've ever found.

What fun the FAQ is! I think I recall reading it back when I first
posted to this group, but I'm not sure.

BTW, to the Keeper of the FAQ: some of the links are dead now. (The ones
I remember are in the section explaining (as if that were possible!) the
First Church of The Porcelain Three-Three.

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
--Jeannette Rankin
Old May 24th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Welcome to the cathouse :-)!!! We, the catslaves, enjoy the company of new
servants in our midst.

Some do say that boys are friendlier, but it's not always the case; my friend
has a male who's the biggest wuss around and runs from company. And our baby
girl Brandy is one of the most outgoing cats I've ever known in my life. Our
Odessa is a flirt and prefers the company of men; Roxie also is very friendly,
though quieter than her tomboy sister Brandy. And our one boy, Stosh, has the
manners and appetite of Fred Flintstone. He's far cuter though!

Blessed be,
Baha

wrote:
Hello all! I am a cat lover in Salt Lake City Utah, the proud purr-son
of Lovey, a two year old adopted dilute tortie who loves my husband and
tolerates me. I am a firm believer in adoption and non declawing;
neutering when young, and that fur people are people too (my husband &
kids think I'm a little nuts).
I adopted a forlorn long term cage resident last year this time, and we
had nine months of fun and sadness. Ginger had a very sad combo of
wanting to be on or by me and a very unpredictable tolerance to
physical contact. As background, I am 52, the daughter of a
veterinarian, and have "owned" cats since I was 7 years old. I'm
experienced in "cat language" both verbal & non. I learned Ginger's
cues, and survived many scratches and a couple of minor bites in the
process. Ginger was 6 yrs old and Lovey a little over 1 when Ginger
joined our family. They NEVER got along. Although Lovey has our three
little dogs whipped into shape, she lived in fear of Ginger.
To shorten my long sad story in March of this year Ginger, completely
unprovoked, while sitting on my lap jumped up and bit my face, missing
my left eye by 1 inch. This was the second unprovoked severe bite in 8
weeks, and it became seriously infected just as the first one had (IV
antibiotics & all that great stuff. This bite was so severe it
required 5 stitches- even though it was a cat bite, it was a gaping
wound on my forehead & the ER decided it had to be stitched). I had
Ginger euthanized the next day at Animal Control, after contacting the
agency I had adopted her from and they said she needed to be
euthanized, she was too dangerous to try to adopt out again. It broke
my heart to have to do this - I tried so hard with her and I know she
was probably abused / damaged long before she came into our home.
So now it's kitten season. My Dad (the vet) suggested I try again with
a male young kitten. I have a couple of questions.
Should I get 2 kittens to keep each other company and reduce Loveys'
stress? Or would one kitten be less stressful? (I have a separate room
for the kitten to call it's own, and I do sslloooow intros to the other
animals.
Is it true male kittens are more loving & bond better? Lovey is a
spayed female (spayed at first heat at 6 months old).
Thank you in advance for reading this BOOK :-) and any helpful advice.
I'm so happy I found cat lovers!
Barbara

Old May 24th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Of the two cats I currently have, Nanki-Poo is a Mama's boy. He is very
cuddly with me, but usually stays out of sight when anyone else is around.
OTOH, Lindy is what somebody here used to call a "love slut". She craves
attention, the more the better, from anyone who is around.

Cats are like people - each one is different, and generalities seldom apply
and almost always have exceptions.

Joy

Old May 25th 06, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

My Fin (RB) was the biggest coward I'd ever seen, but that might have
been due to the fact that his last people threw him out when he was
young. As the years went by, he settled down and realized that not all
people were out to hurt him, so he bravely came out when company came
over and even warmed up to most of my friends.

Rita, however, hasn't met an owner she didn't like. She greets everyone
at the door, howling for petting. She even tried to crawl into the cable
guy's tool belt! It was hysterical. She loves to sit in the window when
I have it open, and seems to be fascinated by thunder and lightning.
She's fearless.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old May 25th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

HAPPY DAYS! On Tuesday I adopted an 8 week old black and white male
kitten who we have named Yitzak (Hebrew for laughter)! You're all
going to get kitten fever....:-) He is of course absoluteley
adorable. He was apparently weaned too early (the shelter "assumes" he
is 8 weeks and my vet concurred yesterday). So he thinks my
nose/nostrils are the perfect substitute nipple. Even though we
clipped his wee sharp nails I have an attractive scratch across the
bridge of my nose...
The last two cats that adopted me were nearly adult and adult, so it's
been quite awhile since I have watched kitten antics! The spider or
sideways walking; his first view of himself in the mirror in his room -
he puffed his teensy little self up and was very fierce. The amazing
twisting jumps and the mad dashes at invisible objects....It has been
incredibly difficult to tear myself away to work (happily it's summer &
I'm only doing ~6 hr/day).
My beloved husband the cat "hater" is petting Yitzy just like he does
Lovey, crooning "you're a hideous beast" to him, too.
Lovey and Yitzy have seen each other twice and it was a hiss -fest
supreme. Thank goodness for doors. Lovey is quite annoyed with me and
sat on our bed last night telling me in no uncertain terms that I am a
complete fool. The dogs (all small) have been hissed at too, and are a
bit wary but quite curious about this little black & white pest.
Yitzak immediately took to his litter box and the squishy kitten food
he gets as a twice a dya trat. He can play full out for 45 minutes
before fading. Both the past two nights, he did not cry after I wore
him out & fed him at 9:30 - such a good boy! He passed his feLV and
FIV tests and was dewormed with no discernable disgusting results
yesterday. Planning on an early July snip of his manlieness - I
haven't told HIM that yet. The vet's office was bowled over & they all
got kitten fever too :-)
Hope you all have a lovely day. I'll be the one playing with the baby
:-)

Old May 25th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:
[...]

Yitzy sounds adorable, I hope you're going to post some pictures somewhere,
soon.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.