[OT] Enron Verdicts

Old May 26th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Enron Verdicts

Shiral wrote:

Me, I'd like to see them have to live on the top floor of a rat
infested slum tenement surrounded by all the people they ruined so that
for the rest of their lives, there's no getting away from the
devastation they caused.

That reminds me of the movie about the slum lord who was sentenced to
live in one of his hell holes. Wonder if that kind of punishment would
work as well as it does in the movies. Hmmmmm, could be a story about
that sort of thing somewhere...
Old May 26th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tanada wrote:
Shiral wrote:

Me, I'd like to see them have to live on the top floor of a rat
infested slum tenement surrounded by all the people they ruined so
that for the rest of their lives, there's no getting away from the
devastation they caused.

That reminds me of the movie about the slum lord who was sentenced to
live in one of his hell holes. Wonder if that kind of punishment
would work as well as it does in the movies. Hmmmmm, could be a
story about that sort of thing somewhere...

The Super, with Joe Pesci. Very funny movie.
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0103007/quotes

Old May 26th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default [OT] Enron Verdicts

On 2006-05-25, Chakolate penned:

Now if only they have to do their time in maximum-security
facilities. Let them be screwed the way they screwed all those
people. That's one use of my tax dollars I'd be happy to support.

Bah. Rape should not be part of the expected prison experience, nor
should it be a joke.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 26th 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

On 2006-05-25, Chakolate penned:

Now if only they have to do their time in maximum-security
facilities. Let them be screwed the way they screwed all those
people. That's one use of my tax dollars I'd be happy to support.

Bah. Rape should not be part of the expected prison experience, nor
should it be a joke.

I wasn't joking.

Chak

--
You can no more win a war than you can win an earthquake.
--Jeannette Rankin
Old May 26th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote:
Chakolate wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

On 2006-05-25, Chakolate penned:

Now if only they have to do their time in maximum-security
facilities. Let them be screwed the way they screwed all those
people. That's one use of my tax dollars I'd be happy to support.

Bah. Rape should not be part of the expected prison experience, nor
should it be a joke.

I wasn't joking.

Maybe not. I'm with Monique on this - people should be sentenced to
what the courts say, not to rape or to any other form of torture or
abuse.

I also suspect that although the American federal prisons have a
reputation as being less terrible than the others, a lengthy term in
one is indeed a punishment.

To be honest, if I was told I had to spend a year in a five star hotel, with
no possibilty of leaving, I would consider that a punishment. But then not
everyone's the same.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old May 26th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-26, Chakolate penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

On 2006-05-25, Chakolate penned:

Now if only they have to do their time in maximum-security
facilities. Let them be screwed the way they screwed all those
people. That's one use of my tax dollars I'd be happy to support.

Bah. Rape should not be part of the expected prison experience,
nor should it be a joke.

I wasn't joking.

I can't even fathom the mindset that suggests that rape is acceptable,
let alone desirable, in any context.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 26th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-05-26, Cheryl Perkins penned:

Some people say that the increased tendency to house arrest is
letting people off easy, but I'm not so sure when I think that it is
often given (here anyway) for stuff that used to be dealt with by
fines, that some of these people have trouble finding home to do
their time in, and when they do, they aren't very nice homes and
that being stuck in *any* place for that long, time off only for
approved doctor's visits etc would drive me crazy.

I know a guy who did house arrest rather than time for a DUI. I
wouldn't say it was fun. He did get to go to work and hence keep his
job and income, though. He wore an ankle bracelet thing that both
tracked his whereabouts and also sampled his skin for alcohol content.
Very 1984.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old May 26th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote in
:

Maybe not. I'm with Monique on this - people should be sentenced to
what the courts say, not to rape or to any other form of torture or
abuse.

If justice was meted out to the rich in exactly the same way as to the
poor, I'd agree. But while we're perfectly willing to sentence an armed
robber who robs *one* person of a few hundred bucks to maximum-security,
with all its attendant horrors, a rich man who swindles millions out of
thousands gets what? Club Fed for you, pal.

If you want to argue that prisons need to be cleaned up so that no one
has to go through abuse and torture, I'd be completely in your camp.
But if you allow that *anyone* should be sent to what US prisons have
become, then you should allow that Lay should be sent there, too.

Chak

Old May 26th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl Perkins wrote in
:

And I'll celebrate the white collar criminals' convictions when the
appeals are over. I have no time for liars and thieves, but rich liars
and thieves can hire good lawyers who might get a reduction on appeal.

Sigh. You are too right. But isn't that all the more reason to
celebrate the victory we have before it is snatched from us?

Chak

Old May 26th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in
:

I can't even fathom the mindset that suggests that rape is acceptable,
let alone desirable, in any context.

But you're willing to allow an armed robber to be sentenced to such fate,
even though he robs but one person? Unless you are out protesting
prisons in general, you are by your silence complicit in rape.

Chak

[OT] Nugget CatNipped Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 05 09:21 PM
[OT] dumb, dumb, dumb Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 28 July 12th 05 04:26 AM
[OT] Biking and D*gs CatNipped Cat anecdotes 13 July 11th 05 12:03 AM
[ot] Hurricane Dennis Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 10 July 10th 05 08:31 PM
[OT] confused and worried about dental insurance Monique Y. Mudama Cat anecdotes 9 July 7th 05 10:34 PM