One more time with the aspirin question

Old May 11th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default One more time with the aspirin question

I called the vet back today to ask about the aspirin dosage. I actually
talked to someone at the front desk, not the vet (who is supposed to
call me back this afternoon), but she said very clearly that the
dosage, given once every 3 days, is supposed to be *one whole baby
aspirin*, which is 81mg. I told her that several people mentioned
having given their cats 1/4 tab every 3 days, and she said, "Yes, 1/4
of an adult aspirin is the same as one whole baby aspirin."

So now I have to ask those of you who said you give/gave your cats 1/4
aspirin pill every 3 days: are you sure this was 1/4 of a baby aspirin
(ie, approx 20mg)? Or was it 1/4 of the adult dose?

Thanks,
--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 12th 09, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
[...]

No wonder you are getting confused.

I did want to mention, as I remember chewable baby aspirin are often
orange flavored. I know cats as a rule hate oranges.

Jo

Old May 12th 09, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Mishi wrote:

So now I have to ask those of you who said you give/gave your cats 1/4
aspirin pill every 3 days: are you sure this was 1/4 of a baby aspirin
(ie, approx 20mg)? Or was it 1/4 of the adult dose?

Hi Joyce,

When my Nyota (RB) had to be on aspirin, it was by weight - she weighed
10 lbs. The dose was 10mg/kg, so she had 1/2 of a baby aspirin every 3
days. 81 mg is too much, in my opinion!

Thanks, Mishi. One question - I don't understand the notation "10mg/kg".
What does "mg/kg" mean? I've never seen that before - maybe it's European?
Here we would just say "10mg", meaning 10 milligrams. (10mg is not 1/2
a baby aspirin, though - it's more like 1/8 of a baby aspirin! Or is a
baby aspirin in Europe only 20mg?)

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 12th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

I did want to mention, as I remember chewable baby aspirin are often
orange flavored. I know cats as a rule hate oranges.

That's why I bought the cherry. But she doesn't seem to like that
either, not that I'm surprised!

I know that a compounding pharmacy will make a cat-friendly flavor, but
Smudge won't even eat the chewable glucosamine pills that are made for
pets. Licky scarfs them down, and since he could use some glucosamine
himself, I give them to him. I've been trying to sneak some into Smudge's
food, which has worked sometimes, but not always.

Anyway, the point is, I'd rather not spend a lot of money on a compounding
pharmacy, just to watch her sniff it and walk away (I'll throttle her!). At
least not at this early stage of figuring out how to get it down her. I'm
going to try other strategies first. Next strategy: grind up the pill and
mix it into a bit of Fancy Feast (a very tasty brand of cat food) and see
if she'll go for that. Next dose is tomorrow, so I hope the vet calls me
back soon.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 12th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MLB wrote:

My VET said 1/4 BABY aspirin. I asked why such a small dose and she
said because asprin was toxic in larger doses. I remember saying this
was such a tiny crumb but she said that was it. TuTu did respond
positively to that tiny crumb and 3 days later I tgave her another tiny
crumb then needed no more. Call another Vet for another opinion. MLB

Oh, thanks for the reminder! I was going to do that, too.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old May 12th 09, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

When my Nyota (RB) had to be on aspirin, it was by weight - she weighed
10 lbs. The dose was 10mg/kg, so she had 1/2 of a baby aspirin every 3
days. 81 mg is too much, in my opinion!

Thanks, Mishi. One question - I don't understand the notation "10mg/kg".
What does "mg/kg" mean? I've never seen that before - maybe it's European?

It means 10mg of aspirin per kilogram of cat. Most drug dosages are
worked out that way. You're aiming for a certain concentration of
dissolved drug in the tissues.

Aspirin in people is unusual because of the enormous range of doses
it's used in - tiny ones for preventing heart disease, medium-sized
ones for pain relief, colossal ones for anti-inflammatory effect
(as in rheumatoid arthritis). I presume it's the same for cats,
though the upper limit will be lower because they can't detoxify it
in the same way we do.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******