OT - Dogs riding in cars

Old March 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

Default OT - Dogs riding in cars

I know this is a little off topic because of this being a cat group but I
figured some people might have dogs too or know people who do.

I was driving home from the dentist's office this morning when I saw what
appeared to be an animal being tossed from the car in front of me. The poor
thing flew out the side window and rolled into the gutter. I immediately
pulled over and put on my flashers. I then could see that it was a small dog
that had flown out of the car. The woman who was driving the car the dog
had been in pulled over too and rushed back to collect her dog. It wasn't
tossed from the car but had JUMPED out the window. Everyone was lucky that
the dog stayed right in front of my car and didn't rush out into traffic.
She appeared to be ok when her momma picked her up but I strongly suggested
the woman take her to be checked at the vet because she did hit the pavement
quite hard and rolled for a distance after she hit.

I see people driving with their dogs loose in the car all the time and never
considered that one of them might jump out while traveling full speed down
the road. Maybe it's a good idea to at least leash the dog and secure the
leash while traveling. This little dog today was lucky that she lived to
tell the tale but the story could have easily ended quite differently.

Old March 28th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lis

On Mar 28, 3:34 pm, "Wendy" wrote:
[...]

A dog in a car really needs to be in a crate, or at the very least in
a proper safety harness in the back seat. A leash attached to the
dog's collar isn't enough, not when collisions can happen at highway
speeds.

Lis

Old March 29th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl

On Wed 28 Mar 2007 03:34:52p, Wendy wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
:

snip

I see people driving with their dogs loose in the car all the
time and never considered that one of them might jump out while
traveling full speed down the road. Maybe it's a good idea to at
least leash the dog and secure the leash while traveling. This
little dog today was lucky that she lived to tell the tale but
the story could have easily ended quite differently.

This is an issue that I feel strongly about, too. A couple of
years ago I was driving home from work, stuck in gridlock as usual.
From a car in the lane to the right and a little ahead of me, an
animal jumped out of the drivers side window. To this day I don't
know if it was a dog or a cat, but in my nightmares that followed I
think it was a cat (it moved more like a cat than a dog). Since our
side of the highway wasn't moving much at all if the human could
have caught the animal in time it might have had a happier ending.
As it turned out, the man's pet jumped the median and over into on-
coming traffic that was moving at speed. I watched as the man
jumped out of his car leaving it in his lane, and ran after his
pet, watched it jump the median where he knew he couldn't get to in
time, and then he dropped to the ground crying in agony because I'm
pretty sure he just saw his pet get run over. I didn't see that
part but I heard car tires squeeling and the traffic on that side
came to a sudden halt. Imagine being the person that hit that
innocent animal because it's "owner" didn't have it confined in the
car. I still have nightmares about that.

--
Cheryl

Old March 29th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Running Scissors

Wendy wrote:

[...]

Easily fixed by not rolling the window all the way down.
Old March 29th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 28 Mar, 20:34, "Wendy" wrote:
[...]

It was very intereting story....

Old March 29th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Wendy

"Running Scissors" wrote in message
Wendy wrote:

[...]

It was too chilly out yesterday for the woman to have had the window all the
way down. Part way is far enough.