The home-loving Roadcat (a little long)

Old November 12th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Default The home-loving Roadcat (a little long)

It seems impossible to me that my introduction to Harri Roadcat took place
more than 3 years ago. The patience displayed by her caretakers in
Illinois and their willingness to drive into central Missouri to make the
handoff, Harri's resilience in adjusting to life in a mobile broom closet
and taking leash walks in all sort of different places, the wonderful
experiences that we shared during the 9 months she was on the road with me
- that all seems like just yesterday.

But for the last couple years, Harri has been living the life of a house
cat. A house cat in a rather full house, as she had to adjust to living in
a house with 5 other cats. But adjust she has!

Before Harri came, Cleo was the undisputed ruler of the house. Cleo slept
where Cleo wanted, Cleo played with whatever Cleo wanted, Cleo ate when
and what Cleo wanted. When Harri first came into the house full-time, she
had to figure out which of the other kitties she could boss around and
which ones she couldn't. This lead to some interesting confrontations, but
nobody got hurt and nobodies pride got injured.

Harri quickly learned that her orange brother was a really good target for
pounces, that Ranger was good for an occasional wrestle, and that Tabitha
was good for some mutual chasing. Amelia makes a good pre-snuggle
warmer-upper - if Amelia climbs into my lap to snuggle, Harri frequently
climbs up as soon as Amelia leaves and curls up in the warm spot.

Harri is also warming up towards her Meowmie. Since Harri and I
spent so much time in each others company 24 hours a day, Harri decided
that I was *her* human. No other humans were needed, and she didn't enjoy
being near other humans. But in the last couple years she has warmed up to
Nancy, will sometimes lie down beside her on the couch, and will even
allow Nancy to pet her for up to half an hour at a time. She still won't
do "fall asleep with paws and tummy in the air" arm snuggles with anyone
but me, but I'm confident that she will in time.

The whole clowder has settled in their dominance dynamic now. Cleo owns
the bedroom, Harri owns the living room, and everybody else shares the
rest of the house. Harri and the other kitties often do the nose-sniff,
and Harri always growls when they do. Not the "I'm going to get you!"
angry growl, more like the "I'm a tough girl, and don't you forget it!"
kind of growl.

The only things that are absolutely, positively exclusively
Harri's are the boa feather wands. If Nancy or I starts playing with
another kitty with either of the boa feathers, Harri will come running and
lie down on top of the toy. Sometimes at night when Harri wants assurance
that all is ok she'll carry one of the boa feathers to the stairway and
stand there meowing until someone comes downstairs to pet her and tell her
that all is fine and everybody is safe.

One of the things that endears Harri to me is her being at the same time a
tough-girl kitty and a needy little kitty. She clearly tells the whole
house "these boa feathers are mine!", and she expresses her toughness with
her nose-to-nose growls. Sometimes when we're in the back yard she zips
from the ground to the first branches in the maple tree in the blink of an
eye. But when it's time to come down from the tree, she meows until her
Paw comes over and stands next to the tree then gingerly steps from the
lowest branch onto my shoulders. She zips up and down the basement stairs
with Tabitha either chasing her or leading her, but when I'm working in
the basement she does the two-paw-at-a-time "I'm a little tiny kitten and
these are such big stairs" stair descent until I lean over to let her step
onto my shoulders.

Another thing that impresses me is the way she cares for her fur-sibs. She
is the smallest of the kitties, but when someone gets locked in a closet
it's usually Harri that paws and cries to tell us that someone needs
rescue. When the cats are all in the back yard and a loud noise outside
the fence startles someone, Harri is usually the one who goes running
towards the source of the sound, tail puffed out, to try to protect her
clowder-mates.

And she has settled comfortably into the role of spoiled domestic kitty.
For the last couple years, when I break out her kittying gear (harness and
leash) and offer a walk she has turned away and gone to find something to
play with inside. She is also quite happy being spoiled (like always being
fed breakfast on the kitchen counter, instead of on the kitchen floor like
the commoner rabble). One of these days I'm going to hook her up and take
her for a walk anyway, just to see how she likes it.

So though I haven't been posting nearly as many Roadcat stories as I used
to, the Roadcat is happy and healthy and well-adjusted (well, at least as
well-adjusted as a cat can be). She has made the transition from roadcat
to housecat smoothly but continues to remind everybody, human and feline,
that she is *THE* Roadcat.

With a little luck, after the current flurry of too-busy weeks calms down
a bit I'll be able to post some more Roadcat, Rangemonster, Samuel Badcat,
and Amelia Fluffycat stories. Cleo and Tabitha will meanwhile continue in
their quiet, spend-most-of-the-time-hiding lives, coming out for an
occasional cuddle.

Old November 12th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
lewe

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
It seems impossible to me that my introduction to Harri Roadcat took place
more than 3 years ago. The patience displayed by her caretakers in
Illinois and their willingness to drive into central Missouri to make the
handoff, Harri's resilience in adjusting to life in a mobile broom closet
and taking leash walks in all sort of different places, the wonderful
experiences that we shared during the 9 months she was on the road with me
- that all seems like just yesterday.

But for the last couple years, Harri has been living the life of a house
cat. A house cat in a rather full house, as she had to adjust to living in
a house with 5 other cats. But adjust she has!

Always good to hear Harri's news - I agree it seems impossible it's been 3
years!
She's such a character, happy to hear you all get along nicely!=)
Lena

--
lewe
lewemi at yahoo dot se

Old November 12th 07, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

It seems impossible to me that my introduction to Harri Roadcat took place
more than 3 years ago. The patience displayed by her caretakers in
Illinois and their willingness to drive into central Missouri to make the
handoff, Harri's resilience in adjusting to life in a mobile broom closet
and taking leash walks in all sort of different places, the wonderful
experiences that we shared during the 9 months she was on the road with me
- that all seems like just yesterday.

[snip]

What a great post. Harri sounds like a real personality, as well as a
sweetie. You have a great clowder. (How many are there, again? Six? Eight?
I've lost count. )

Joyce
Old November 12th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Annie W

On Nov 12, 10:44 am, Daniel Mahoney wrote:
It seems impossible to me that my introduction to Harri Roadcat took place
more than 3 years ago. The patience displayed by her caretakers in
Illinois and their willingness to drive into central Missouri to make the
handoff, Harri's resilience in adjusting to life in a mobile broom closet
and taking leash walks in all sort of different places, the wonderful
experiences that we shared during the 9 months she was on the road with me
- that all seems like just yesterday.

.... So though I haven't been posting nearly as many Roadcat stories
as I used
to, the Roadcat is happy and healthy and well-adjusted (well, at least as
well-adjusted as a cat can be). She has made the transition from roadcat
to housecat smoothly but continues to remind everybody, human and feline,
that she is *THE* Roadcat.

Dan,
I really enjoyed this. I followed all the Roadcat adventures, hoping
the dispatcher would get you a route that would enable you to organize
the handoff of the cat. Then, reading about all the adventures. What
great times those were.
Annie

Old November 12th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Exocat[_2_]

"Daniel Mahoney" wrote

But for the last couple years, Harri has been living the life of a house
cat. A house cat in a rather full house, as she had to adjust to living in
a house with 5 other cats. But adjust she has!

Lovely tail, I'm so glad Harri's adjusted so well to home life.

Thanks for sharing.

Purrs
Gordon & the FF

Old November 13th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

[...]

I'm glad she has adjusted so well!

I love your stories, Daniel. Okay, I love all the stories that are posted
here by people who love their cats. However, I admit that I especially
enjoy the stories written by the men in the NG. While I enjoy the humorous
stories, I find it especially endearing to read stories written by men who
are comfortable enough with their masculinity to admit publicly that they
love their cats.

Joy

Joy

Old November 13th 07, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

[...]

I think we all got extra-fascinated by how amazingly the little kitten
adapted to her full-time travels with her Daddy! It's gratifying to hear
that she adapted well to being the homecat, too, and living with her
brothers and sisters. She's her Daddy's girl wherever she goes.

Old November 13th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

she was meant to be with Dan, and to travel, almost all of the hours from
central IL to KC were spent sleeping and looking out the window, as she
rested on me to do both, she loved Dan at first sight, no cat just looks at
a stranger and starts purring before I rolled down the window!! Lee

Old November 13th 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Daniel Mahoney wrote:
[...]

Great post, Dan. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe