Pills & Meds

Old November 29th 03, 02:16 PM
JBHajos

Default Pills & Meds

It's interesting to read how many different ways there are to medicate
our kitties - and their reactions. Hobo will take pilling just fine
the first couple of days, then goes into tornado mode. He's OK with
the liquids. Speckles takes to pills easier.

Has anyone tried to medicate a snake? (Probably Dave Y.) Our
cornsnake Ozzie (whom I wrote about briefly a couple of months ago)
had a bad shedding 3-4 years ago, leaving a knot of dead skin at the
end of her tail. Even the vet couldn't remove it and had to amputate
roughly a half-inch. Since we couldn't pill her, we had to give her
liquid antibiotics for the infection. Cornsnakes are relatively
small; their mouths aren't as big as boas or ball pythons, though they
can open wide for a mouse! Squirting liquids into that tiny mouth?
Somehow, we did it but I assure you, snakes don't take kindly to being
medicated. Ozzie is just fine now and doesn't miss her pointy "end"
but we think she's unique with her squared-off tail.

Jeanne
Old November 29th 03, 07:27 PM
Hopitus2

LOL; can't imagine pilling a snake, and I like snakes, but compared to cats,
they seem kinda unaffectionate.

:

Old December 1st 03, 03:05 PM
JBHajos

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:27:04 -0500, "Hopitus2"
wrote:

LOL; can't imagine pilling a snake, and I like snakes, but compared to cats,
they seem kinda unaffectionate.

Right you are!!! I couldn't trade my cuddly, affectionate kitties
for the world. But Ozzie & Lida are lovable in their own way. Ozzie
is extremely people-friendly, surprisingly intelligent despite her
tiny brain, and I love looking at her cute little face. Lida is also
friendly and has a sort of "curiosity killed the snake" mentality -my
interactions with him resulted in my dubbing us "Dumb and Dumber".
He's so stupid. As was I. Ozzie was identified as a "Miami" cornsnake
while Lida is a north Florida snake. Don't know how Ozzie got to Cape
Canaveral from south Florida. Li'l Critter is different but his is
another story. He's *mean* and I have to wear gloves when tending to
him.

Jeanne
Old December 1st 03, 04:18 PM
Sherry

Right you are!!! I couldn't trade my cuddly, affectionate kitties
for the world. But Ozzie & Lida are lovable in their own way. Ozzie
is extremely people-friendly, surprisingly intelligent despite her
tiny brain, and I love looking at her cute little face. Lida is also
friendly and has a sort of "curiosity killed the snake" mentality -my
interactions with him resulted in my dubbing us "Dumb and Dumber".
He's so stupid. As was I. Ozzie was identified as a "Miami" cornsnake
while Lida is a north Florida snake. Don't know how Ozzie got to Cape
Canaveral from south Florida. Li'l Critter is different but his is
another story. He's *mean* and I have to wear gloves when tending to
him.

Jeanne

Wow. That's really kind of neat. I never realized snakes had personalities.

Sherry