Spot is very Ill - I don't know what is best for him

Old October 15th 03, 02:40 PM
-L.

(Napoleon) wrote in message . com...
(-L.) wrote in message m...
"mug punter" wrote in message ...
-L. wrote:
"Animal luva" wrote in message
2. Felines feel the same amount of pain but express their suffering
less than other animals ?

We know this is true. Cats are stoic by nature. They do not show
illness easily.

This link might help you know when it is time:

http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com...edecision.html

Best of luck to you,

-L.

Thanks for the link and your kind wish.
I have read several similar articles. Bless the internet!
Last week, I would have gladly let Spot go - he wasn't himself at all,
totally lethargic and disorientated.
Fortunately(?) due to the turmoil in my head I procrastinated.
I'm now delighted that I didn't make any solid plans and believe his
demeanour then was largely due to his biospsy injury and medication.
I won't delude myself but I'm more than willing and able to give him all the
comfort possible to ensure he gains the most pleasure from what little time
he has.
But how do I judge a cat that shows very little discomfort apart from when
he eats?

Not interested in play, not interested in interaction, sleeps or hides
most of the time. IME, working as a vet tech for a feline specialty
hospital, and with my own animals, you can see it in their eyes. They
almost look at you like "let me go, please". It's a certain look.

-L.

We recently had the sad task of saying goodbye to an "only cat" after
19 years of companionship; this was the first time I had ever been
involved in the situation so my first hand experience is thankfully
limited. But I spent a great deal of time reading about cats with her
particular problems (she was really doing pretty well coping with the
problems many aging cats have-CRF & hyperthyrodism, arthritis-until
just near the end when things cascaded) and a lot of people apparently
*don't* feel that they were able to *see it in their eyes* when their
pets are near the end. I'm just saying it's not something that people
percieve with certainty in all instances; so it's not a sure-fire
guide.

My one piece of advice from our experience is that if there is going
to be an absolute optimal time to help your pet along, you may not
know it except in hindsight. Sometimes animals look like they are
right at the edge and then they pull back and get better for a while.
Maybe a few hours, maybe a couple of days, maybe even a few weeks.
After it's all over you may not be 100% sure that the cat couldn't
have gone on longer with an acceptable quality of life. On the flip
side, unless you decide to live those last few weeks in a vet's
office,

IME, if you are doing this, or need to do this, it's time.

We once had a lady drag her cat back and forth to the vet four times
during the day, convinced that the cat was on his death bed, but
unable to "make the decision". We had been trying to get her to euth
this cat for weeks. On the fouth trip in, he expired in the car.
That poor cat's final memory was of a trip to the vet. Not something
I would want *my* cat to have as his last experience.

Then she said "I'm so glad he did it on his own, I didn't have to make
the decision". Sheesh. What a disservice.

-L.
Old October 15th 03, 08:39 PM
mug punter

-L. wrote:
We once had a lady drag her cat back and forth to the vet four times
during the day, convinced that the cat was on his death bed, but
unable to "make the decision". We had been trying to get her to euth
this cat for weeks. On the fouth trip in, he expired in the car.
That poor cat's final memory was of a trip to the vet. Not something
I would want *my* cat to have as his last experience.

Then she said "I'm so glad he did it on his own, I didn't have to make
the decision". Sheesh. What a disservice.

-L.

God forbid. I salute your ability to hold your tongue.
Having typed that; Spot loves going to, and being at the vets!
[We always made the effort to make Spot's "new life experiences" as relaxing
and calming as possible when younger]
We only have to put his catbasket on the floor and he climbs straight in.
He purrs anxiously in the waiting room, checking out the dogs that haven't
noticed him.
He's always eager to get out of the basket, once on the vets table, and
happily sits there being prodded.
His normal happy purring causes the
human-on-the-other-end-of-the-stethoscope a little grief sometimes.

Old October 15th 03, 08:39 PM
mug punter

Napoleon wrote:
[...]

Apologies to L. My newsreader failed to pick up the above post.

Thank goodness for that! I was deeply worried the signs wouldn't be so
prominent. My goal is not to let Spot get to that stage.
I can say that Spot always has an appetite but shows awkwardness and
discomfort in eating, obviously attributable to the tumour.
He may indeed show some of the signs you describe although this always
happens shortly after his medicine.
However the day after, and in the hours leading to his medication time, Spot
will appear generally in good spirits.
He acts quite normally and will often instigate interaction, be it getting
fed, played with, brushing or stroking.
Then, as if sensing a flea or itch, he totally ignores me to begin a
self-cleaning routine.
Thank you L.

We recently had the sad task of saying goodbye to an "only cat" after
19 years of companionship; this was the first time I had ever been

My heartfelt sympathies, Napoleon. Spot is also our only pet.
He's not a child-substitute but is my family.

just near the end when things cascaded) and a lot of people apparently
*don't* feel that they were able to *see it in their eyes* when their
pets are near the end. I'm just saying it's not something that people
percieve with certainty in all instances; so it's not a sure-fire
guide.

I guess it's down to each individuals' level of compassion.

My one piece of advice from our experience is that if there is going
to be an absolute optimal time to help your pet along, you may not
know it except in hindsight. Sometimes animals look like they are
right at the edge and then they pull back and get better for a while.
Maybe a few hours, maybe a couple of days, maybe even a few weeks.
After it's all over you may not be 100% sure that the cat couldn't
have gone on longer with an acceptable quality of life. On the flip
side, unless you decide to live those last few weeks in a vet's
office, you may not be able to get the cat to the vet to do what needs
to be done right when you decide that it's time. A lot depends on the
nature of their problems. As your original post implies, they can't
tell us how they are feeling, although often their behaviour gives
indications. What I'm saying is that you just do the best you can in
terms of gauging the situation and don't beat yourself over the head
if in hindsight you decide that you acted a little too soon or a
little too late. You can only be so precise. In our case we took the
cat to the vet after she was nauseated and wouldn't eat or drink for a
couple of days and found out she was accumulating fluid in her lungs.
The vet concluded that she either had a heart problem or lung tumors.
Whichever it was, treatment would make her more miserable, given her
age and other problems probably not be successful, and likely cause
her kidneys to fail. It was late in the afternoon, the vet gave the
cat some medicine to ameliorate the fluid accumulation and so we took
her home just because it was just kind of a shock to hear that the
time we had been dreading had finally come. The cat was uncomfortable
that night, although not in acute distress. She was walking around and
interacting with us some (which was very hard emotionally) but mostly
wanted to be under the bed. Although we took her in the first thing
next morning, we were second guessing ourselves during the night about
not having the vet put her to sleep the previous afternoon.
Thankfully she didn't have any kind of traumatic episode before we
took her that last time in the morning, although by then she was
weakening fast. But as I said before you can only be so precise about
the timing of any action you may wind up taking.

Good luck. Your cat is lucky to have someone as concerned as you are.

My sym

This is precisely what fired off my alarm bells. Obvious signs would be too
late, in my book.
We've been told he is in great pain. As others have confirmed, that cat's
hide it well, then I must accept that.
Pain aside, Spot is relatively happy unless he's drugged up, that I'm
certain.

Thank you Napoloen (thank you all) for the help, support and kind words
offered.

Old October 16th 03, 01:28 AM
Napoleon

(-L.) wrote in message m...
"mug punter" wrote in message ...
-L. wrote:
[...]

My point here is that there can be a delay in getting an animal to the
vet because of hours of operation, holidays, or other things and
unfortuntely an animal could have a critical episode and go through
some hours of trauma before you can get to the vet. A real common
example is cats with CRF. Cats may live fairly comfortably with CRF
for months or years and suddenly "crash". Sometimes they rebound after
one of these episodes and live pretty comfortably for a months longer;
sometimes the episode is terminal. If the latter event happens and
you can't get to the vet right away (and I'm talking about a delay of
some hours or at most probably a day), people second-guess themselves
a lot. But the nature of CRF, which is a terminal condition, is that
the prognosis for the immediate future the vet can give you often
isn't in black or white, it's a matter of probabilities. A cat with
CRF might crash, then recover and have another six months or more of a
relatively comfortable existence or it might have another acute
episode next week. So someone might make a decision to treat a CRF
cat who has crashed and then have it happen again shortly after. Or
it might not happen again for months. But in the meantime you can't
set up shop at the vet, so if another acute episode happens while the
vet is closed, it's easy to feel bad that the cat had to go through
the episode for some hours before you could get to the vet. I'm sure
that there are analogous situations for other terminal conditions.

We once had a lady drag her cat back and forth to the vet four times
during the day, convinced that the cat was on his death bed, but
unable to "make the decision". We had been trying to get her to euth
this cat for weeks. On the fouth trip in, he expired in the car.
That poor cat's final memory was of a trip to the vet. Not something
I would want *my* cat to have as his last experience.

Then she said "I'm so glad he did it on his own, I didn't have to make
the decision". Sheesh. What a disservice.

-L.

If this lady was being told by the vet weeks before that euthanizing
the cat was the best thing and in fact knew when the end had come, you
are absolutely right, she did the cat a great disservice. She was
just prolonging the cat's suffering to fill her own emotional needs.