Losing Two Cats in a Short Time? I Hope Not.

Old November 7th 03, 06:06 AM
Gizela

Healing purrs being vibrated Moe Lesters way...

Also for you in keeping sane while worrying about him

Angela and Gizmo

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In September I lost my Manx kitty Banana Simian to a virulent form of

cancer.
Folks here were quite supportive.

My big orange tabby Moe Lester has had a really high breathing rate for

some
time - a constant 100 or 110, even when sleeping, and I finally ran him in

have the vet take a look. They discovered he had lost considerable

weight,
which I didn't realize, and ran a massive number of tests, all of which

came
back quite normal. For a cat just turning 16, he appears to be in great
health.

Having nothing further to test, a CT scan has been prescribed, and I just
dropped Lester off at the same place where Banana was diagnosed. The
instructions were to scan the head and neck area, but this vet thinks he

feels
a large, hard abdominal growth and is going to concentrate on that area
instead. Nothing abnormal is apparent on the xrays that I brought from my
regular vet.

Needless to say, I'm convinced that Lester is doomed, although I'm told

that
isn't necessarily true, depending on what is found.

Art

Old November 7th 03, 09:49 PM
Tanada

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Needless to say, I'm convinced that Lester is doomed, although I'm told that
isn't necessarily true, depending on what is found.

Art, I remember Banana Simian quite well. You loved Banana with all
your heart, and we did too.

That being said, it is normal to think that you're going to lose Lester,
as you lost Banana. However, that lump in his tummy could be a hair
ball, could be a cyst or many other problems that don't necessarily
spell doom for him.

Please accept our purrs and healthy thoughts for Lester and comforting
thoughts for you.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old November 8th 03, 02:11 AM
Arthur Shapiro

In article , Tanada wrote:
-- However, that lump in his tummy could be a hair
ball, could be a cyst or many other problems that don't necessarily
spell doom for him.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more than
likely malignant.

Needle biopsy was supposed to come back today, but they haven't called. The
tissue biopsy will be back early next week.

Meanwhile, he hasn't eaten more than one or two mouthfuls since coming home 24
hours ago, is breathing even faster, and I think is going downhill in front of
my eyes.

If he hasn't eaten by tommorow morning, I guess I'll force down some Nutrical,
but it's pretty obvious that this is deteriorating real fast. I'm not very
happy.

If you want to see him: http://members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/LesterStory.htm

Art, soon to be down to four cats

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at this ISP to reach me
Old November 8th 03, 04:20 AM
Marina

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote

Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more

than
likely malignant.

So sorry to hear this, Art. It's just not fair. I read his story and looked
at his pictures. He is a very handsome boy, and seems to be such a very nice
cat. Let's hope the biobsies bring better news.

Purring for you both.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old November 8th 03, 08:15 AM
Vicki J

Oh Art, I'm sorry Lester is so unwell. Lots of supportive purrs for
you both from me, Lucy and Tia ... and spoil him rotten. He looks
like a real character and your story is great.

Vicki
Old November 8th 03, 01:20 PM
polonca12000

I'm so very sorry to hear this. Can it be operated on?
Lots of best wishes and purrs for the growth to be benign, and hugs for you,
Art,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , Tanada

wrote:
Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more

than
likely malignant.

snip