Losing Two Cats in a Short Time? I Hope Not.

Old November 8th 03, 02:40 PM
Christine Burel

I am so very sorry, Arthur. Hugs and purrs to you during this difficult
time. We're thinking of you and Lester.
Christine and Omar, Oreo, Midnight, Robin & Tucker (and Piratecat)
"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , Tanada

wrote:
-- However, that lump in his tummy could be a hair
ball, could be a cyst or many other problems that don't necessarily
spell doom for him.

Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more

than
likely malignant.

Needle biopsy was supposed to come back today, but they haven't called.

The
tissue biopsy will be back early next week.

Meanwhile, he hasn't eaten more than one or two mouthfuls since coming

home 24
hours ago, is breathing even faster, and I think is going downhill in

front of
my eyes.

If he hasn't eaten by tommorow morning, I guess I'll force down some

Nutrical,
but it's pretty obvious that this is deteriorating real fast. I'm not

very
happy.

If you want to see him:

http://members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/LesterStory.htm

Art, soon to be down to four cats

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at

this ISP to reach me

Old November 8th 03, 06:33 PM
Annie Wxill

"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
In article , Tanada

Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more

than
likely malignant.

.... If he hasn't eaten by tommorow morning, I guess I'll force down some
Nutrical,
but it's pretty obvious that this is deteriorating real fast. I'm not

very
happy.
If you want to see him:

http://members.cox.net/mybrainhurts/LesterStory.htm
.... Art
Art,
Lester's page is great. He is beautiful and obviously has been a special
addition to your family. No wonder you are so worried. It is hard enough
losing one cat, let alone three in such a short time.
Now is the time to give him lots of lap time. Because Lester probably is
becoming dehydrated, you might ask the vet to give him some subQ fluids with
an appetite enhancer to make him feel better and want to eat something while
you wait for the results of his tests.
We will send comforting prayers and purrs on Lester's behalf and for you,
too.
Annie, accompanied by Cinder and Rosie

Old November 8th 03, 07:45 PM
Hopitus2

Comforting purrs and meatloaf meditations to Arthur and sweet Lester from
south FL with heartfelt wishes for better results from tests than you
expect. Give Lester a kiss and cuddles from us, his faraway friends.

"Annie Wxill" wrote in message
:
: "Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
: news:jhYqb.7087$7B2.7023@fed1read04...
: In article , Tanada
: ...

Old November 9th 03, 04:39 AM
Tanada

Arthur Shapiro wrote:

Unfortunately, it turned out to be some major growth on his liver, more than
likely malignant.

Needle biopsy was supposed to come back today, but they haven't called. The
tissue biopsy will be back early next week.

Arthur, I'm so sorry to read this. Please accept our added purrs and
feel better wishes and thoughts for Moe Lester and our sympathy for all
the hurt and pain you are all going through.

Pam, Rob, and the NC nine
Old November 10th 03, 02:04 AM
Helen Wheels

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
In article , Tanada wrote:
[...]

Purrs for you and Lester. He looks like a gentle fellow.
Helen Wheels

Old November 23rd 03, 12:26 AM
Arthur Shapiro

I wrote a couple weeks ago about Moe Lester and his breathing difficulties.

He was taken in for a CT scan, and to my horror it showed a large liver tumor,
which biopies showed to be cancerous.

He had a final ultrasound on Wednesday, which showed some indication that it
might be operable, and I had a noon appointment today with the surgeon; the
intent was to perhaps hospitalize him today and operate on Monday.

Meanwhile, he hasn't eaten in three days, despite not being in obvious
discomfort or otherwise having "given up".

The surgeon, after seeing the latest test results and meeting Lester for the
first time, said there was no possible way to wait until Monday. She gives
him at most a 1/3 chance of surviving surgery and says he is really near the
end. He's presumably being operated upon right now, and we were told that he
was in such bad shape that if the tumor turns out to be unremovable (and it's
on a very bad lobe of the liver) the recommendation is to put him down right
then, as there's no quality of life left. Even if the surgery goes well,
recovery is iffy due to his weakened condition and absence of nourishment.

Meanwhile, it's getting even worse here. My almost 17-year-old black and
white, Phunny Face, had his yearly appointment for shots Wednesday. Actually
it had been two years since he saw the vet, as he never gets sick and the
shots have a longer interval these days. I figured he'd be in and out, as he
doesn't look his age. Indeed, people in the waiting room figured he was 5 or
6.

To my surprise, they found that he'd lost 1 1/2 pounds off his 11 pound
weight. He has developed a heart murmur of some severity, and X-rays showed a
somewhat enlarged heart. The tests came back the next day showing abnormal
kidney readings, although not yet dangerously so. Basically, Phunny is
wearing out. At this point, they've suggested moving to a low-protein diet,
but that will be tough with all the cats eating each others' food.

So we don't know if Phunny will go quickly or simply deteriorate over some
period of time, but he's apparently on borrowed time now.

But at this instant, all concern is for poor Lester.