Losing Two Cats in a Short Time? I Hope Not.

Old November 23rd 03, 03:11 PM
Christine Burel

Purrs still coming full-speed for Lester from us.
Christine and furkids
"Arthur Shapiro" wrote in message
Well, the good news is that the tumor was removable without irrepairably
damaging the liver. She (the surgeon) was pleasantly surprised.

The bad news is that it turned out to have started in the gall bladder,

and
some of the bile ducts had to be removed. If too many are removed, the

liver
cannot drain and the cat turns yellow and won't live more than a couple

days.
The initial guess is that this will not happen, and that the odds of

survival
are now up to 50-50. But simply recovering from the trauma will be tough

for
the sixteen year old cat, and I've been warned to not be surprised if the
dreaded middle-of-the-night phone call comes. Nevertheless, 50-50 is

better
than 75-25. He'll be kept totally sedated for at least a full day, with

not
even IV nutrition until Monday.

Also, there appears to be some minor "contact" issues with the diaphram,

which
cannot be handled. But at this point that doesn't seem to be a

significant
risk. And a fairly good amount of fluid was drained from the chest

cavity,
which could explain the initial complaint of breathing difficulties; I was
told this almost certainly was caused by the tumor.

So Lester is still hanging on.

Art

Art
Temporary usercode - to be deleted when spam starts. Use MyBrainHurts at

this ISP to reach me

Old November 23rd 03, 04:02 PM
Adrian

Arthur Shapiro wrote:
I wrote a couple weeks ago about Moe Lester and his breathing
difficulties.

He was taken in for a CT scan, and to my horror it showed a large
liver tumor, which biopies showed to be cancerous.

He had a final ultrasound on Wednesday, which showed some indication
that it might be operable, and I had a noon appointment today with
the surgeon; the intent was to perhaps hospitalize him today and
operate on Monday.

Meanwhile, he hasn't eaten in three days, despite not being in obvious
discomfort or otherwise having "given up".

The surgeon, after seeing the latest test results and meeting Lester
for the first time, said there was no possible way to wait until
Monday. She gives him at most a 1/3 chance of surviving surgery and
says he is really near the end. He's presumably being operated upon
right now, and we were told that he was in such bad shape that if the
tumor turns out to be unremovable (and it's on a very bad lobe of the
liver) the recommendation is to put him down right then, as there's
no quality of life left. Even if the surgery goes well, recovery is
iffy due to his weakened condition and absence of nourishment.

Meanwhile, it's getting even worse here. My almost 17-year-old black
and white, Phunny Face, had his yearly appointment for shots
Wednesday. Actually it had been two years since he saw the vet, as
he never gets sick and the shots have a longer interval these days.
I figured he'd be in and out, as he doesn't look his age. Indeed,
people in the waiting room figured he was 5 or 6.

To my surprise, they found that he'd lost 1 1/2 pounds off his 11
pound weight. He has developed a heart murmur of some severity, and
X-rays showed a somewhat enlarged heart. The tests came back the
next day showing abnormal kidney readings, although not yet
dangerously so. Basically, Phunny is wearing out. At this point,
they've suggested moving to a low-protein diet, but that will be
tough with all the cats eating each others' food.

So we don't know if Phunny will go quickly or simply deteriorate over
some period of time, but he's apparently on borrowed time now.

But at this instant, all concern is for poor Lester.

Art

Purrs for you and all your furry friends.
--
Adrian
A House Is Not A Home, Without A Cat.

Old November 24th 03, 03:46 AM
badwilson

Purrs continuing...
--
Britta
ROT13 to reply

Old December 1st 03, 09:41 AM
JP Hobbs

Please accept my apologies for being late with
these multiple Purrs and Hugs, for Moe Lester
and Phunny, but my comp; has been down
for just on a month. I am so very sorry to hear
of their health problems, it really made me cry
because I really know how heart- rending it is to
face the prospect of losing your beloved pet
in my 70 yrs of life I have been down that road
too many timesand you have my heartfelt sympathy
I pray they both have plenty of time left to enjoy
the great love you obviously have for them hugs for
you too J.P.