The latest Dataw madness (pet related)

Old May 1st 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default The latest Dataw madness (pet related)

"jmcquown" wrote in message
A little background... where I live (Dataw Island, SC) they have an
antiquated listserv for residents to communicate. It's called the Dataw
Net. There are leash laws for dogs and rules that say when you walk your
dog you have to "scoop the poop". That is, pick it up.

Unfortunately, there are a few irresponsible dog owners who don't pick up
after their pets. So every couple of months a few (only a few) people use
the Dataw Net to whine about finding dog poop in their yard. The result of
this?

The Dataw Island Association is now looking into dog poo DNA testing! The
gist of it is they will collect poop samples from all the dogs and send it
to a DNA lab, where the information will be stored in a database. That
way when offending poop is found/reported in someone's yard, they will be
able to identify which dog it came from. What happens after that, I don't
know. Do they plan to fine the dog owners? Threaten to take away their
dogs? Beat the people with rubber hoses?

It's simply ridiculous. Given the replies that have been flying around
the Dataw Net most people seem to think it's a stupid idea.

It raises many questions:

How are they going to know who owns a dog or dogs? Will there be a house
to house search? Periodic dog checks?

What about friends/family who might bring their dog along when they visit?
Do they have to submit a poop sample before they can bring their dog on
the island? (By the time that info reaches the DNA lab those folks and
their dog won't even be here anymore.) Will the security guards have
acquiring a poop sample added to their job descriptions?

Who's going to pay for all of this? There's no way to single out only the
people who own dogs in the annual assessment and charge them a different
rate from non dog-owners. Because again, how will they know who owns a
dog? Someone who didn't own one before might get one. What if someone's
dog went to the RB? Separate billing would be an administrative
nightmare.

What it really means is they're trying to find yet another ridiculous way
to jack up the annual assessment rates for *everyone*. All because a few
(*very few*) people get all worked up over dog poop in their yard.

I offered a viable Do It Yourself solution for those who are so worried
about a little poop: get some security cameras. I did a quick search and
found this one:

http://tinyurl.com/mxxuold

Weatherproof, 4 cameras, wireless, hi-def, night vision. Catch the
culprits who don't pick up their pooches' poop on DVR! Oh, and they might
just discover it isn't lazy people after all. Might be small deer,
raccoons or opossums wandering around in their yard at night. Most people
probably can't tell one form of scat from another.

I cannot imagine getting so worked up over dog poop. I've got better
things to worry about. I'm sure as hell not going to pay extra every year
for DNA testing of dog poop!

Jill

That's hilarious! Whilst I encourage poop-scooping by dog owners, it's the
law here, DNA testing seems a tad over the top ;-)
Which brings me to Lennie again. His poop was so dreadful it was always
difficult to remove it, but after my (secret) intervention with the vet, his
mummy was given a good talking to. I tried to tell her about his rubbish
diet but I knew it would take the vet for her to take any notice. So, he's
on a new diet now, no crisps, no adding beef & lamb to his complete diet.
He's on Royal Canin Sensitive wet food since last Saturday and when I walked
him today, let's just say it was a pleasure to pick up after him. Kind of..
Yay! I knew I had a job on my hands with his mum's stubborness and I've
been quietly nagging at her since December. She doesn't know I contacted
the vet, and I will probably have to admit it at some point. Maybe in 3
months. I feel Ok about the deceit, because I knew she would never tell the
vet about his awful bowels, it's not her who has to pick it up.
So: his food allergies are sorted, which means his lovely little feet are
not scaly any more. Plus his diet now enables his digestion to be in order.
Took a while. Everyone else failed, but I intended not to.
I offered to walk him every day when his usual dog walker broke her ankle,
from December until March. His mummy probably got fed up with me moaning
continually about his health issues, but she is more than happy now he is
sorted and so is Lennie himself.
I love that poodle.

Tweed

Old May 1st 15, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sylvia M[_3_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Yaay! (-:
All's well that ends well!
Sylvia

Old May 1st 15, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

I got there in the end. Yes, I was kind of deceitful but I would do it
again in the same circumstances. I shopped her to the vet about his diet.
and now for the first time ever I picked up a perfect poo today. I was so
happy.
I've sorted him out. He no longer has scaly toes and his bowels are now in
order. Took months.
I love poodles feet when they are fresh from the poodle parlour, it looks
like they are wearing gloves. Lennie goes there every month. He looks
pristine always. Bless his lovely heart, he is now up to speed with a good
diet.

His allergy tests cost 400 pounds. Diatery wise, he is allergic to
potatoes, rice, oats, soya and beef. Which puts his Burns weight reduction
diet right out of the window as it's full of oats.
Pointless anyway. the idea of a weight reduction diet is that's all they
should have. Not so.
Anyway, Lennie is on new food, Royal Canin sensitive wet. No crisps, no
ham. He's doing well on it. It's a horrible price from the vet so I went to
look for something similar today. I found almost identical food at half the
price, so I'll check his Royal Canin can tomorrow.

Tomorrow, Claire and myself are going for a big walk as she says she doesn't
exercise enough. Lennie will come along with us, although she doesn't know
it. She hasn't met him yet.

for

Old May 1st 15, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

I'm thrilled to hear it!

Jill
Old May 2nd 15, 11:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Sylvia M" wrote in message
[...]

OMG, it took months. I intended to never give up because everyone else had
and, yes, it involved some kind of deceit which I don't like, but I got
there in the end.
I am very happy with him atm (providing she keeps it up)

I usually don't take him out on a Saturday but Claire told me last week
that she wasn't getting enough exercise so we did quite a big walk today in
the local wildlife park together today and Lennie came along. She hadn't
met him before and was surprised how well behaved he was compared with her
own dog. I'd never let him off the lead before but he was fine, kept fairly
close to me and really enjoyed his 2 mile walk.
We're going to do it again next Saturday.
I suggested to Claire that her dog Maisie could come along, but she is awful
with other dogs, and Claire said she would attack Lennie in the car.
So I had this thought later. We would go in separate cars. Maisie attacks
other dogs because she is afraid of them but Lennie is so lovely with other
dogs, even aggressive ones that maybe she could do a walk with him. It's
simply impossible to fall out with Lennie.

Old May 24th 15, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"The Other Guy" wrote in message
On Sat, 2 May 2015 23:19:00 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

I suggested to Claire that her dog Maisie could come along, but she is
awful
with other dogs, and Claire said she would attack Lennie in the car.
So I had this thought later. We would go in separate cars. Maisie
attacks
other dogs because she is afraid of them but Lennie is so lovely with
other
dogs, even aggressive ones that maybe she could do a walk with him. It's
simply impossible to fall out with Lennie.

Arrange for them to meet before the walk and see what happens,
then you can decide if they'll be friends, or not

Lennie and myself would be up for it but Claire is too scared about Maisie
being awful. which she will be. She is dreadful with other dogs. I am
fairly sure that if I could Maisie and Lennie on the same walk - yes she
will scream at him /threaten him because she is afraid of other dogs.
I'd like Maisie to go on a walk with Lennie. To learn how to behave. It
might be too late, though, unfortunately.
My brother never trained her at all, she's a nightmare. it's not possible
for Lennie and her to go in a car together, but I'm trying for a walk.
Because she needs a walk with a dog that will not react to her aggression.
Lennie is the boy for that.
He often meets dogs that want to fight when I am out with him and he says
"no fighting, you look like a nice boy, let's say hello nicely" and they
usually say OK. Lennie doesn't fight. He wants a quiet life. Like me.

To take him out is a privilege.

---