Sickly litter of kittens w/ former feral mom

Old May 20th 04, 03:59 AM
mjoann

Default Sickly litter of kittens w/ former feral mom

Well, I have a feeling I really can't do much to help, but just in case...
We are gradually taming and catching a feral cat colony in our backyard.
Our latest "catch" is almost two years old and only warmed up to us just
recently. She had a litter of kittens last July, only two of which we
ever saw. I have no idea if there were more, because we didn't see the
two until they were around six weeks old. We just last week coaxed her
into our basement, along with one of her litter from last year. They've
been actually very calm and not too crazy about trying to get out
(unlike her two siblings we rescued last year who bounced off the
walls!) So anyway, the mom cat was pregnant, and we believe they were
conceived around March 20th because we had a strange male cat hanging
around at that time. I wasn't expecting kittens for another week at
least, partly because of the timing, and partly because she hasn't
gotten very big.
Today we came home to find her with two dead kittens, and one scrawny
live one. By evening, she had another still born and another scrawny
one. I haven't seen kittens born in years (I believe in neutering,) but
these definitely appear underweight and maybe even underdeveloped. (Two
of the dead kittens had no fur.) I have a feeling they won't make it,
but they are crying a little and trying desperately to get milk. One of
them did manage to suckle, but I couldn't really tell with the other.
The mother doesn't seem as interested as she should. She shifts around
and lays on them without noticing, and while she is curled around them,
she doesn't seem to be prodding them to nurse or bathing them. She
hasn't had another in several hours, and isn't acting upset, but her
stomach still feels full. She is just laying there and purring.
I have tried to feed the kittens with a little syringe and cat milk.
They are eager to eat, but really don't seem to know how. One lapped a
little off the syringe.
Instinct tells me she is apathetic because she know they are going to
die, but is there anything I can do to improve their chances?
Also, even if we lose the kittens, I want to make sure the mother is
okay. She is the sibling of two of our indoor rescues, and I have been
trying to befriend her for two years. After I was able to sneakily pet
her once, she caught on, and has been sweet ever since. Are there any
warning signs I should look for?

Thanks in advance,
Mjoann

Old May 20th 04, 04:55 PM
KellyH

Thanks for taking the time to care for the ferals in your area, it sound
like you are doing all the right things.
I think you are right, that the mom isn't all that interested in feeding
because she doesn't think the little ones are going to make it. One
important thing is to make sure the kittens are warm enough. They should
be, since they are with the mom. Is she allowing them to snuggle with her?
If not, place them on a heating pad on low heat before they feed. Are they
feeding enough from her? You may need to take them and bottle feed. There
are some websites with tons of info on feeding rescued kittens. I've only
had to do it from 3 weeks on, so they were almost eating regular kitten
food.
This would be a good time to try to get mom to accept people. From what you
described, it sounds like she is on her way. If she flattens her ears,
swishes her tail, and/or growls, she's about to swat or bite, she's had
enough of you. Take it slow, don't force anything on her. She may also be
calmer after her spay, too.

Good luck, keep us posted!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old May 21st 04, 02:58 AM
~*Connie*~

I agree 100% with kelly's post, but I would like to mention if they were
born prematurely, then they are probably not fully developed internally and
will probably eventually die. not saying you shouldn't try.. cause I know
Id be right in there force feeding them and stimulating them myself.. Just
want to prepare you that while you might do everything right, they still
could die.

Old May 21st 04, 03:47 AM
Mr B

I'd also recommend calling your local vet / humane society to see if they can offer any suggestions
on caring for them or even taking in the kittens and rehabilitating them to be adopted.

We had a kitten who was older than that but who was attacked by a hawk (we think from the cuts). We
took her to the emergency vet when we found her and they stitched her up and gave her to the humane
society who rehabilitated her and adopted her out. I'm not sure how long the kittens will have if
you don't get help right away!

Good Luck

Old May 21st 04, 10:06 AM
mjoann

Thank you everyone, for the ideas. I haven't had time to reply because
of the kittens. Only one is still alive, and I have expected him to die
any minute since last night. When I was little, my mom let our cat run
around and have kittens every year and I remember that they usually
died, so I am trying to accept that for this kitten.
We found the kitten that is left around 7:30 Wednesday night along with
two stillborn, so he may have been born around 7:00. He reached his one
day mark, and we were surprised he made it that long! Unfortunately,
just a little later the mom abandoned him. When we tried to move him to
her, she took him back to the original spot and left him. With repeated
attempts, she became agitated and tried to attack him. She is now
happily curled up with her 1-yr old kitten from last year and we are
taking care of the baby. I'd guess he is about half the weight of the
pictures I have seen of healthy kittens. We thought he was near dead
several times, but he keeps perking up and crying and trying desperately
to get out of the little box/bed we made him. He has been eating every
two hours, and seems to be understanding the syringe better. He is
sucking away. Plus, he has urinated afterwards when we wiped him with a
warm q-tip. I really can't expect this scrawny kitten to live, but as
long as he is alive and crying, we will keep him comfortable. I don't
know how we can take on this huge responsibility with both of us working
full time, but if I have a live kitten in my home, I can't not take care
of him. It is now 5:00 AM and he is nearly a day and a half. With every
day he gains (and weight) I will feel a little easier!

mjoann

Old May 21st 04, 12:03 PM
Mary

"mjoann" wrote

It is now 5:00 AM and he is nearly a day and a half. With every day he

gains (and weight) I will feel a little
easier!

Bless you for caring for him. One thing--he needs to eat every four hours,
as you know. That makes it impossible when you work. I dropped a kitten a
mother cat abandoned off at the vet every day, and they did a feeding while
I was at work. they didn't charge much.

I know you are bracing yourself, as well you should be. The behavior you
describe sounds so familiar--this little pregnant calico that stole my heart
by approaching me one night as I came out of a restaurant (she did that
hoppy kind of head bump where they are on their back legs when I reached
down to her) proceeded to have seven kittens in my one bedroom apartment at
a time when I worked full time and went to school. I worried because she
only had six nipples, of course, so I watched to make sure all the babies
were eating. It seemed like overnight one was smaller than the rest and she
had turned her back to him. When I placed him back with her, she moved the
nest and left him alone. I was so upset, took him to the vet, got formula,
and gave him his own little box and a heating pad. I was feeding him one
morning and the telephone rang so I put him down in his little box and went
to get the phone. By the time I had gotten back she had placed him in the
litter box! It was as though she knew something was wrong with him.

Still, when he died at five days old I was really devastated. It is even
harder when you watched them be born. I hope your little one makes it. We'll
be rooting for him.

---