blocked cat--- how much does your vet charge for this?

Old May 12th 05, 02:58 PM
Karen

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Shannon" wrote in message

"animzmirot" wrote in message
My 8 year old male cat was blocked when I woke up this morning. A trip

the emergency vet later, we got an estimate of between $1250 and $1650

unblock him (with anesthesia), catheterize him, 2 overnights in the
hospital, antibiotics, and an analysis of his urine to determine what

kind
of blockage it was. That seems to be VERY high but then again, it's

our
kitty, so I forked over a $600 deposit to get things started.

What would your vet charge for similar circumstances and where do you

live?

A few months ago, my cat had blockage and ended up with a ruptured

bladder.
For anesthesia, cath, antibiotics, surgery, and 3 days at the vet, it

cost
me around $500.

That was your regular vet who did the work? Take them to the emergency vet
and you might as well turn over your children's inheritance.

But mine was to an emergency vet and it was only about 300 plus the "75
dollar emergency appt. fee" (ridiculous). Grant was not totally blocked, but
they had to catheterize him and keep him overnight. I guess I have a new
"ridiculous-o-meter" to judge local vet rates by.

Old May 12th 05, 03:18 PM
KellyH

"animzmirot" wrote in message
My 8 year old male cat was blocked when I woke up this morning. A trip to
the emergency vet later, we got an estimate of between $1250 and $1650 to
unblock him (with anesthesia), catheterize him, 2 overnights in the
hospital, antibiotics, and an analysis of his urine to determine what kind
of blockage it was. That seems to be VERY high but then again, it's our
kitty, so I forked over a $600 deposit to get things started.

What would your vet charge for similar circumstances and where do you
live?

Hi there!
I've had the same thing happen with my Bartleby. This was about 3-4 years
ago. Our vet charged I think around $300-400 for this. This vet is in
Haverhill, so prices near you are probably higher. Granted, this was our
own vet and they didn't charge an emergency fee.

When I had an emergency with a foster kitten, I had to take her to the
emergency vet (Bulger's in North Andover) in the middle of the night. They
gave us an estimate of something like $1200, but it ended up only being
$700. They factor in every possible thing, plus there is the "emergency
fee" of like $100+ just for walking in the door. I chose to get some of the
not-so immediate testing done with the rescue's regular vet.

--
-Kelly

Old May 13th 05, 12:04 AM
Wendy

"Shannon" wrote in message

Yep, regular vet. It's the only vet we have that's on call 24 hours and I
had to take Tuffy in at 4 a.m.

Shan

You're lucky to have your regular vet available then. Our cats get sick
after hours and it's off to the emergency muggers.

Old May 13th 05, 03:00 AM
Hopitus

Much better to take blocked male cat to your regular vet, who may work w/you
re payments and total cost, rather than strangers @ 24/7 ER vets! The bald
fact that
affects the whole scenario is this: the *time* and *day* your male cat gets
"blocked" urinary tract....if wrong time you can't get regular vet and will
be forced to use ER, as your cat will surely *DIE* in agony in a matter of
hours, not days, w/o the surgery. In Miami we paid about $300 (regular vet
we used for years). It was explained to me by vets that female cats, like
hoomins, have relatively short urethra (tube to outside for urine exit)
compared to males, whose urethra is much longer and harder to deal
w/blockage for this reason. I believe discoveries re food
content ingredients has lowered incidence of blockage in
last 10 years or so.

Old May 13th 05, 03:09 AM
Shannon

"Wendy" wrote in message
news

"Shannon" wrote in message

Yep, regular vet. It's the only vet we have that's on call 24 hours and

had to take Tuffy in at 4 a.m.

Shan

You're lucky to have your regular vet available then. Our cats get sick
after hours and it's off to the emergency muggers.

That's too bad!! The vet that I took Tuffy to is very expensive, I think,
but was the only one I knew of that was on call 24 hours a day. I just
wanted my little boy to be ok, no matter what it cost.

Shan

Old May 13th 05, 03:33 AM
KellyH

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Much better to take blocked male cat to your regular vet, who may work
w/you re payments and total cost, rather than strangers @ 24/7 ER vets!
The bald fact that
affects the whole scenario is this: the *time* and *day* your male cat
gets "blocked" urinary tract....if wrong time you can't get regular vet
and will be forced to use ER, as your cat will surely *DIE* in agony in a
matter of hours, not days, w/o the surgery. In Miami we paid about $300
(regular vet we used for years). It was explained to me by vets that
female cats, like hoomins, have relatively short urethra (tube to outside
for urine exit) compared to males, whose urethra is much longer and harder
to deal w/blockage for this reason. I believe discoveries re food
content ingredients has lowered incidence of blockage in
last 10 years or so.

How true. I happened to luck out (I guess??) that my cat became blocked
during business hours.
But yeah, if your cat is blocked during non-regular hours, you pretty much
have no choice but to pay.
--
-Kelly

Old May 13th 05, 05:06 AM
animzmirot

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

We haven't even had time to find a new vet since we moved last month, so
this guy was the vet literally around the corner. I called around 11 am,
took him in before noon, and they gave me this estimate that took my breath
away. Yes, vets are a bit higher south of you, but still...triple the price?
I don't even know if they charged me an emergency fee, but how could it
possibly be $1000?

We went to visit him today. He's a satellite head which is always comically
sad, and the catheter is working and he's dripping clean pee, so I'm hoping
he'll be able to come home tomorrow as planned. I'm also hoping that the
estimate and the actual bill are WAY different or we're going to have quite
the chat.

Thanks, Kelly and everyone else.

--
-Kelly

Old May 14th 05, 12:34 AM
KellyH

"animzmirot" wrote
[...]

$1000 does seem really high. I hope it turns out to be less. Make sure
they don't add on a bunch of unnecessary stuff like FeLV/FIV testing or
vaccines when you didn't request them. I have seen that kind of stuff
before.

I hope your furry guy gets better real soon.
--
-Kelly

Old May 14th 05, 09:44 AM
Brad

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:06:08 -0400, "animzmirot"
wrote:

We went to visit him today. He's a satellite head which is always comically
sad, and the catheter is working and he's dripping clean pee, so I'm hoping
he'll be able to come home tomorrow as planned. I'm also hoping that the
estimate and the actual bill are WAY different or we're going to have quite
the chat.

Thanks, Kelly and everyone else.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a satellite head?

Brad

LIFE'S JOURNEY IS NOT TO ARRIVE AT THE GRAVE SAFELY IN A
WELL-PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN SIDEWAYS, TOTALLY WORN OUT,
SHOUTING... " HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

Old May 14th 05, 07:31 PM
animzmirot

wrote:

We went to visit him today. He's a satellite head which is always

comically
sad, and the catheter is working and he's dripping clean pee, so I'm

hoping
he'll be able to come home tomorrow as planned. I'm also hoping that the
estimate and the actual bill are WAY different or we're going to have

quite
the chat.

Thanks, Kelly and everyone else.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a satellite head?

It's when they put those plastic cuffs around a pet's head so they can't
lick themselves or pull at stitches. They look just like satellites, and are
quite amusing to watch (albeit also heartwrenching) when the cat can't
figure out where he is because he has no peripheral vision.