We need a kitty psychologist here

Old July 13th 05, 03:50 AM
animzmirot

Default We need a kitty psychologist here

Can someone please solve this mystery? Ringo is currently mostly an indoor
cat, with the spring to summer desire to go outside and hide in the bushes
surrounding our house. He has a couple of acres of manicured lawns to stroll
around, well away from any street or cars other than in our long driveway.
Not that he does stroll, because he doesn't. He only sticks to the
foundation and to the hole under our screened porch. No dogs, no other
animals to speak of (and yes, we're cognizant that coyotes do hang around
the surrounding wooded area at night, be he's only out in the daytime and in
from early afternoon on). There are plenty of opportunities for him to use
the outside as his litterbox, however....

he yelps to come in and runs to the litter box to pee and poop. WHY? Does
he not understand that the world is his litterbox or is there something more
attractive about his box than the great outdoors?

Old July 13th 05, 03:52 AM
whitershadeofpale

"animzmirot" wrote in message
[...]

When did he ever learn to litter outside.

He's a smart cat, he doesn't want to mess up that manicured lawn.
Maybe you got the lawn too nice. lol

Old July 13th 05, 04:07 AM
Justin L

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 22:50:55 -0400, "animzmirot"
wrote:

[...]

Could be he is just used to using the box, like a habit.
Old July 13th 05, 04:13 AM
whitershadeofpale

[...]

Ok, sorry to be elusive

Ah! How about...find a tidy spot over by yonder tree or so...
put some on the ground over there, take him over show him where it is.
Just an outdoor, no sides, no box, litter spot.

Maybe..spike it with some that has his ass smell on it. (from the house box)

I bet he'd catch on quick.

Or...borrow a male cat, to come and spray around your yard.
This should perk up his instincts to wee wee outside.

Old July 13th 05, 04:23 AM
Mary

[...]

How can you have cats and not understand what creatures of habit they are?

Old July 13th 05, 04:32 AM

[...]

It's just his personality. Some cats do want to use the box
exclusively--that's really a good thing--monitoring litterbox use is a
good way to detect illness. It really kind of fits the personality
you've described--he doesn't sound too adventuresome and isn't a
roamer. ( a good thing, too!) He likes the comforts of home.
Out of my five, I have only one who is like Ringo. The others do their
bizness outdoors if they happen to be out at the time.

Sherry

Old July 13th 05, 04:33 AM
Mary

wrote:

[...]

Could be Marjorie is a total idiot.

Old July 13th 05, 05:25 AM
Karen

in article ,
at wrote on 7/12/05 10:32 PM:

[...]

Right. If they are like the "back to nature" types, and take in the whole
outdoors thing, they probably are more likely to "return to nature". But if
they are just out for a picnic, they are going to look for the facilities.