Cat pining for his main squeeze

Old July 30th 05, 08:51 PM
animzmirot

Default Cat pining for his main squeeze

My daughter is at camp for a month, and Ringo is having a very hard time of
it. I'm not sure how to cheer him up. He is moping around, sleeping on her
bed and not wanting to leave it, and otherwise ignoring all other family
members. He's her cat, but what are the rest of us, chopped liver? What can
I do to make him a happier cat? He doesn't handle stress well, and last time
we had a stressful moment it cost me $1200 at the vet, so I'm pretty anxious
to make his little life as cheery as possible. He's not the most playful of
cats and he's quite skittish, so nothing scary or too anxiety provoking,
please. Any ideas? I don't think anyone, including the cat, can stand
another 3 weeks of his moping.

He's also still sneezing, although not anywhere near like that first
episode, and it's more when he comes inside so I'm betting he's got an
allergy to something outside as it wears off as soon as he's been in for an
hour or so.

Marjorie

Old July 30th 05, 08:58 PM
Ditty

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:51:22 -0400, "animzmirot"
wrote:

My daughter is at camp for a month, and Ringo is having a very hard time of
it. I'm not sure how to cheer him up. He is moping around, sleeping on her
bed and not wanting to leave it, and otherwise ignoring all other family
members. He's her cat, but what are the rest of us, chopped liver? What can
I do to make him a happier cat? He doesn't handle stress well, and last time
we had a stressful moment it cost me $1200 at the vet, so I'm pretty anxious
to make his little life as cheery as possible. He's not the most playful of
cats and he's quite skittish, so nothing scary or too anxiety provoking,
please. Any ideas? I don't think anyone, including the cat, can stand
another 3 weeks of his moping.

Why not spend a little time with him on your daughter's bed? You can
kick back and read and not make too many demands on him yet give him
the company he's used to with your daughter. Catnip usually works
too. ;-)

--
Ditty
"Thousands of years ago, cats were

http://www.dearauntnettie.com
http://www.dearauntnettie.com/museum
http://www.dearauntnettie.com/gallery

Old July 30th 05, 09:32 PM
MaryL

"animzmirot" wrote in message
[...]

Have you tried Feliway? If not, I highly recommend it. Feliway is used for
behavior modification and can be very useful in reducing stress. It is
available in plug-in diffusers (with refills available) and as a spray. The
spray is excellent for an occasional use, such as spraying the carrier about
20 minutes before you take your cat to the vet, but the plug-in diffuser is
better for long-term use because it releases premeasured doses. In your
situation, I would use both -- leave the diffuser plugged in all the time
and also spray around doorways, around the litterbox, and around the cat's
preferred sleeping areas (which obviously includes your daughter's bed) once
or twice a day.

MaryL

Old July 30th 05, 10:52 PM
---MIKE---

I tried the Feliway spray in the carrier before taking Tiger to the vet.
It didn't help at all. He still cried, spit and hyperventilated all the
way!

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 31st 05, 01:12 AM
Spot

Get him some cosmic catnip, it sure cheers my one up........ My orange
tabby loves this stuff like crazy. The other two get into it but not like
Squeekers. He will actually fuss at you continual till he gets his kitty
nip every day.

Celeste

Old July 31st 05, 01:52 AM
Cheryl

On Sat 30 Jul 2005 03:51:22p, animzmirot wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav ):

He's also still sneezing, although not anywhere near like that
first episode, and it's more when he comes inside so I'm betting
he's got an allergy to something outside as it wears off as soon
as he's been in for an hour or so.

I emailed you when you originally posted about Ringo sneezing,
because I can't post from work, and you seemed to need an immediate
answer. My Bonnie has been having episodes of sneezing/snorting
lately that sounds very distressing. One thing I learned when
bringing one of my other cats to an allergist is that cats don't
have allergic reactions in the way we humans do. They don't sneeze,
tear up, sniffle from inhalent allergies like dust and mold like we
do. Their immune systems go overboard by causing skin reactions or
asthma. I think I just discovered why Bonnie was having nasal
reactions. She just had a long cat hair hanging from her nose and
it was covered in snot. She'd been to the vet who xrayed for
possible asthma, listened to her chest, heart, breathing, back when
this first started, but found nothing. Now I think she had a long
fur stuck in her nose all this time.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 31st 05, 03:46 AM
animzmirot

[...]

Ah, great idea. We use the spray when he shows tendencies towards spraying
and peeing outside the box, and I know we have at least a couple of the
bottles around here. I'll give my room and the living room a spray. I've not
used the diffuser because I've got allergies to pretty much everything and I
was a tad bit worried about it, but maybe if I used it in a specific place?

I did lay down with him on my daughter's bed, but he was so sad he wouldn't
even lay down next to me. However, tonight at dinner he did beg for a bit of
hamburger and he's still eating, so he must not be pining THAT hard. Poor
guy, I feel so badly for him. He's lonely in a house full of people.

Marjorie

MaryL

Old July 31st 05, 03:47 AM
animzmirot

"Spot" wrote in message
Get him some cosmic catnip, it sure cheers my one up........ My orange
tabby loves this stuff like crazy. The other two get into it but not like
Squeekers. He will actually fuss at you continual till he gets his kitty
nip every day.

We've got it, in the giant sized container! He's a druggie from way back
when, but he's not all that interested right now. I think I've got to give
him some time to grieve or something. But it's a good idea, and I'll try
again.
Thanks.

Marjorie

Celeste

Old July 31st 05, 03:50 AM
animzmirot

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

I did check for hairs, and didn't see anything, but as I've said, he's Mr
Skittish and I don't think it's worth his scratching my eyes out over a
hair. He hates being held by anyone other than the main squeeze and that
ain't me. I think I'll try again to wash his nose (man, that was a scene) to
see if there is anything stuck on it. But no snot, no discharge from the
eyes, nothing like that. He's just sneezing a dust-type sneeze and my house
is pretty clean right now, for once!

Marjorie