Fat Cat gets busted

Old January 13th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Fat Cat gets busted

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

It's funny how some people act as though all cats are female and all dogs
are male when it's so obvious that at least some cats are male. Oh, sure,
they can be mis-identified sometimes (my late Betsy was said to be a tom),
but a big boycat with a broad face and chest is so obviously male, it
sometimes seems unnecessary to check under the tail.

And then there a show on Animal Planet about a "miracle cat" who disappeared
for 8 years, and was then reunited with "his" owner. The narrator of the
story kept referring to the cat as "he" - but it was a calico! Of course,
this was just a dramatization, so the real cat might well have been a boy.
In which case, couldn't they at least have not used an obviously female
cat in the role?

Joyce
Old January 14th 07, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"John F. Eldredge" wrote in message
news
On 13 Jan 2007 23:13:18 GMT, wrote:

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

It's funny how some people act as though all cats are female and all
dogs
are male when it's so obvious that at least some cats are male. Oh,
sure,
they can be mis-identified sometimes (my late Betsy was said to be a
tom),
but a big boycat with a broad face and chest is so obviously male, it
sometimes seems unnecessary to check under the tail.

And then there a show on Animal Planet about a "miracle cat" who
disappeared
for 8 years, and was then reunited with "his" owner. The narrator of the
story kept referring to the cat as "he" - but it was a calico! Of course,
this was just a dramatization, so the real cat might well have been a boy.
In which case, couldn't they at least have not used an obviously female
cat in the role?

Do calico males ever exist? A lot of people assume that all orange
tabby (ginger) cats are male, but my Annabel Lee was an orange tabby
female.

I've never heard of a calico male, but we have several orange tabby girls on
the group. Hari Roadcat comes to mind. Someone else has a couple of them.

My next cat, if I get to choose and if there is a next cat will be a dilute
orange girl.

Jo

Old January 14th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

Cheryl Perkins wrote:

[...]

Coat colour in cats is a genetically complex. The short story is that
the colours in calico (and tortiseshell) are carried on the
x-chromosome and in order to get a calico or tortie coat pattern the
cat must have two x-chromosomes. In the vast majority of cases, such
cats are female (remembering that in most mammals XX = female and XY =
male). There is a very rare genetic condition called Kleinfelter's
syndrome where the individual is XXY. Such individuals are considered
male, but are generally sterile. A cat with Kleinfelter's syndrome
can, therefore, be a male tortie or calico.
More information on the syndrome can be found at wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klinefelter's_syndrome
cat coat genetics can be found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_coat_genetics

HTH
Tish
Old January 15th 07, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Mischief wrote:

Anyone else see this story?

This woman who owns six cats is wondering why the food is disappearing
faster. She figured out another cat was sneaking in through the cat
flap into the the garage and chowing down on her cats' food. She
couldn't catch him, until....

http://www.cnn.com/video/offbeat/200...w/content.html

Sheesh!! Hope the fat boy finds a home.

Kristi

I hope he finds a great onetruehome!
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 17th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from