Donations to Animal Shelters

Old September 21st 09, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Shelters Turning Down Donations (WAS: Donations to Animal Shelters)

If you are blessed to have as much as you now have, you might consider it
rude. It you live in housing and have three kids, even used sheets, so long
as they ae not stained are considered a blessing. Have worked with these
groups and know wheeof I speak.

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 13:36:02 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Sep 17, 8:08 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
Yesterday I finally emptied the linen closet. I know I talked about
doing
this earlier in the year but I never could actually bring myself to do
it.
The Beaufort County Animal Shelter says they need donations of
blankets,
towels and washcloths. I've got a whole pile of them to donate.

(snipped self)
Jill

That's a great thing to do. Especially with winter coming on. Usually
the
dog kennels have a concrete floor, and it must get so cold.

Sherry

I called the shelter to find out exactly where they are located. I
mentioned to the woman who answered the phone I also have a lot of
flannel
sheets. (I can't sleep on flannel sheets, they are too darn hot even
with
the A/C and a fan running.) The woman told me they wouldn't take flannel
sheets! She said the dogs would rip them up too easily. What do they
care?
They're FREE, aren't they?! I don't understand the mentality, turning
down
donations. Who cares if the dogs rip up free sheets? I'm sure the
kitties
would love them. I don't get it.

Jill

Dog rips up flannel sheet, eats the bits, and they have a thousand
dollar vet bill to deal with for having the bits removed from its
intestinal tract. If you want to do something with the flannel sheets
make them into kitty pillows...
--

Okay, I can understand the vet bills if the dogs eat the sheets. That
could cause problems but the woman never said anything about them eating

I'm certainly not going to make them into pillows. I haven't sewn
anything in 30+ years and even then I wasn't any good at it. LOL Besides,
I don't have a sewing machine. Why can't they just put the sheets in the
kitty cages?! Or are they afraid of the same thing?

I hate to just throw them away. I'm not giving used sheets to the
Salvation Army. That would be rather rude not to mention unsanitary (of
course they've been washed).

Jill

Old September 21st 09, 10:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

I agree. Bless your heart Granby, for that. And homeless people or
battered women's shelters would would gladly accept discards as well.
Kyla

"Granby"
If you are blessed to have as much as you now have, you might consider it
rude. It you live in housing and have three kids, even used sheets, so
long as they ae not stained are considered a blessing. Have worked with
these groups and know wheeof I speak.

SNIP

Old September 21st 09, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Some goods are unsaleable because of health regulations. Unwrapped
towels are usually verboten;
What do you mean by "unwrapped"?

They usually need to be as new, in the original packaging. I'm not
sure there are any formal rules about it, but most charity shops
wouldn't want to risk passing on an infectious disease.
In practice they're dead useful to the shop for purposes like dusting
shelves, so they aren't a waste.

Ah, I see why I didn't understand. In the US, towels aren't usually
sold in packaging. They're just folded and displayed on the shelf. A
towel might have a tag attached from the manufacturer, which most people
would remove after purchase, but otherwise, there's nothing that would
identify a towel as unused.

That's a point - they're often sold that way here too. In practice
there'd almost always be a price tag which would tell you something.
Like I said, my department is books, which don't often raise health
issues. (Donors often use drug insert leaflets as bookmarks. I've
occasionally thought there might be a marketing opportunity there,
along the lines of what Amazon does: "Customers who read this book
also tended to suffer from..." - reading Wilbur Smith seems to put
you at risk of diabetes, for one).

I think one of the local charities does sell towels, but they go along
with the fabric oddments as "stuff we expect the customer to wash
before they use it".

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
****** I killfile Google posts - email me if you want to be whitelisted ******
Old September 22nd 09, 11:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Cheryl" wrote in message
On Sep 20, 12:30 pm, Cheryl wrote:

Locally, the Salvation Army is noted for accepting *anything* as a
donation.

My mum used to work as a volunteer in a shop supporting the local
hospice. They weren't allowed to sell underwear even if it was clean
or for that matter still in the packet

Oh, I suspect even the local branch of the Salvation Army has similar
practices. I think that the time and energy needed to sort out and
discard the really useless junk must be a burden to them.

Cheryl

I guess I'll ask the SA about the sheets. There's nothing wrong with
them, I just can't use them. I certainly have sorted through my parents'
clothing and gotten rid of anything stained or torn. I'm not going to ask
the folks at the Salvation Army to do that. I'm still getting things
together so they can do one big pick-up. Kitchen items, older luggage,
things like that are in the garage. When John gets here we'll bag up the
clothing, then I'll have them send the truck to get everything.

Jill

One of the charities around here has worked out a really good system.
Every few months you get a large bright yellow postcard from them. It
announces the date of their next scheduled pickup on your street. They
are mostly interested in outgrown clothing but will also take other items.

You put out a plastic bag at the curb on the designated day with the big
yellow card on the top and they collect them.

They are looking for things to give away to those in need rather than
things they can sell.

Jo

That sounds like an excellent system. I know Habitat for Humanity has
regular pickup days here on the island for furniture items. Unfortunately I
didn't find out about that until after I had the Salvation Army take away a
sofa bed and two end tables. I don't have any other furniture type items to
donate but it's good to know for the future.

Jill

Old September 25th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=[_2_]

Default Donations to Animal Shelters

"MaryL"

"Takayuki"

Almost all cats
are territorial about their own homes, and there's a big difference
between a strange cat and a cat that's been accepted as family.

Dot and Buster, for example, may act like they want to tear apart a
cat they see outside, but they accept each other.

I always thought Holly was an "only cat," and I really thought it would be
impossible to bring another cat into the household. She would attack and
terrorize any other cat in my vicinity. We visited my sister one time
(and I always took Holly with me during those years rather than leave her
alone for an extended period). We had to take a lot of precautions and
usually needed to keep Holly in a separate room from her cats. We kept
trying to get them together, but Holly was really in attack mode. On one
occasion, I was sitting on one side of the room and we had Holly and my
sister's cats in the room with us. I thought things were going fairly
well. Then Peaches walked by my chair, and I made the mistake of letting
my hand dangle down just to lightly stroke her back as she walked by.
Holly immediately came *roaring* across the room and attacked Peaches. It
was a real act of aggression, definitely not "playing."

Then I saw Duffy's picture on petfinder.com, learned that he was blind and
had been in the shelter for several months, and I knew they probably could
not keep him much longer because kitten season was approaching. That was
a kill shelter and they only promise to keep healthy animals for 14 days,
but they do try to keep them as long as possible. But space was going to
be at a premium once litters of kittens started to arrive.

So, I decided to bring Duffy home and see if it would be possible to bring
the two of them together. And the rest is history...it took several weeks
with careful "baby steps," but Holly is no longer an "only cat"--and I'm
sure she would not want to go back to that arrangement. Now, Holly
actually goes to the doorway to look for Duffy if I get their food out and
Duffy still hasn't meandered down the hallway to the kitchen. A couple of
weeks ago, I stepped on Duffy's paw. Duffy screamed, and I really felt
dreadful. Holly came running and gently began to touch her nose to Duffy,
moving from his neck to his back, just as if she were checking to make
sure nothing was wrong.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: 'o'
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

They both look so sweet and they have such a nice Mommy.
Kyla